Soon to be new owner questions

Regarding the PC tune, you should be able to connect it to your computer and save the current map as a backup. Then you could just 0 it all out. This would revert the bike to stock ECU without actually having to disconnect and remove the power commander. You could compare the MPG & performance differences by switching between the 0 map and the current tuned map.

Very smart IMO. Although if I had a power commander hooked up I'd spend hours tweaking the settings seeing what differences could be made...

Very smart IMO. Although if I had a power commander hooked up I'd spend hours tweaking the settings seeing what differences could be made...

Indeed, I would too. Actually BlackAndBlue, you don't want that Power Commander. When you're not looking they put oil on your brakes, water in your air intake, sand in your gas tank, and salt water on your exhaust. You should just send it to me for safe disposal.:D

Regarding the PC tune, you should be able to connect it to your computer and save the current map as a backup. Then you could just 0 it all out. This would revert the bike to stock ECU without actually having to disconnect and remove the power commander. You could compare the MPG & performance differences by switching between the 0 map and the current tuned map.

The S2 is going to be more effective at MPG improvement with the O2 sensor connected. That said, I'm not sure what comes of narrow band O2 sensor if left in place and not heated by the ECU. Will sensor performance degrade?? Will they respond properly if powered up later in life? IDK! That said, someone may have pulled it and installed a plug so you have to look and see if its even an option to connect it! It's at the end of the header in the 90° bend to the mid-pipe.

Point: A tune can add fuel in some spots and take it away in others. So it could show no change or even get worse MPG on a zero map.

The S2 ECU has a wider range of trims than an S1 open loop system as it relies on the O2 sensor to keep most of the map at a fairly lean stoichiometric value of 14.7:1 (and I say lean from a rider friendly perspective)...

Last edited:
That's a good point, forgot about the closed/open loop difference. BlackAndBlue would have to check if the O2 was disconnected and/or removed.

A power commander could still be used with the O2 sensor operating, correct? It would just run in closed loop at lower RPMs and throttle inputs, overriding the piggyback power commander tune to maintain it's desired ratio?

EDIT: Sounds like it may give a fuel injection ECU error if the O2 is not eliminated.

Last edited:
My ECU and others have not complained about disconnecting the O2 sensor. Although that is not what you stated, "I know"; more specifically, It won't throw an error with a Fuel Controller (F/C) installed & O2 sensor, what it will do is override the F/C MAP attempting to fix it. Thus, your running in no mans land as far as what its actually doing as I'm sure it has limits of offset it can not exceed. << hopefully that makes sense.

Looks like OP doesn't have an F/C anyhow?? IDK!

thanks for all the responses all. I definitely plan to take advantage of the power commander down the road, and sort out the O2 sensor or lack there of situation. Since I don't even have the cord or the program to make changes on it, is there any reason I can't just unplug it until I am ready to use it again? Provided of course that the O2 sensor is plugged in.

And Kinderwood, I would definitely like to ride some day. I really like the Frederick area. I used to go to a car show up there every year.

thanks for all the responses all. I definitely plan to take advantage of the power commander down the road, and sort out the O2 sensor or lack there of situation. Since I don't even have the cord or the program to make changes on it, is there any reason I can't just unplug it until I am ready to use it again? Provided of course that the O2 sensor is plugged in.

And Kinderwood, I would definitely like to ride some day. I really like the Frederick area. I used to go to a car show up there every year.

If it helps you out, the cord you need is a pretty common USB connector ( I can't remember off the top of my head if it's 'Mini A' or 'Mini B' ), but it should be common to find at a radio shack or potentially even a gas station that sells phone charging cords. The software is available on the DynoJet website as well. :thumbup:

My ECU and others have not complained about disconnecting the O2 sensor. Although that is not what you stated, "I know"; more specifically, It won't throw an error with a Fuel Controller (F/C) installed & O2 sensor, what it will do is override the F/C MAP attempting to fix it. Thus, your running in no mans land as far as what its actually doing as I'm sure it has limits of offset it can not exceed. << hopefully that makes sense.

Looks like OP doesn't have an F/C anyhow?? IDK!

so i take it that if you are modifying your map with a PCIII, it is definitely a good idea to disconnect the O2 sensor? It makes sense that it probably really isn't doing anything if the fuel is being modified. it tries to correct and probably doesn't get very far.

I have the R6 forks and Calipers on mh FZ with 50K on her and she performs beautify the suspension is amazing with the upgrade and the lifespan is perfect.

Back