Soon to be new owner questions

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all. First time posting. I'm looking at a few FZ6s and trying to decide which to go for and whether to hold out for a specific one. Biggest question is, significant is the difference between the '06 and '07 models? Wiki says that there where quite a few improvements, and I know I personally like the analog tach better, but is it worth passing up on an '06 that's otherwise good in favor of waiting for a later model to come along?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, :welcome: to the forums!

The S2 has improved front brakes, better fuel mapping for the ECU, the change in the Tach, and some other aesthetic differences.

When I purchased my bike, I did not think those differences were enough to pay the extra $1000 or so that they cost in my area. I went with an S1 and I'm very happy about it. In fact there are some parts of the S1 which are advantageous over the S2, like the header and midpipe. Just ask Randy about that ( [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] ).

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Other than 4 piston calipers on the S2 there is minimal performance difference on the chassis. So it comes down to looks. I waited as i liked the looks of the S2 package with the black frame, engine, forks, one came in closer but it cost more having fewer miles.

Its up to you. If you use the bike hard I'd want the improved brakes up front. Some of us ditch the OEM forks in favor of R6 parts which makes it moot point other than the S2 calipers are a direct fit to early R6 forks.

The early S1 header doesn't have CATs in it, so it flows better (better throttle response too) and i have those on the S2 chassis.
Both are good choices and nearly anything can be swapped. The passenger rear sets unbolt on the S2. So if you ride solo, you can toss them. Little things....

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
Very good info. Thanks all.
You say most anything can be swapped. Does that include the S2 front calipers to the S1 forks? That would make it a pretty easy decision that the S1 is a fine choice and I'll just get some S2 calipers to put on next time I bleed the brakes.

Would the ECU swap so the S1 could take advantage of the "optimized fuel mapping"?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very good info. Thanks all.
You say most anything can be swapped. Does that include the S2 front calipers to the S1 forks? That would make it a pretty easy decision that the S1 is a fine choice and I'll just get some S2 calipers to put on next time I bleed the brakes.

Would the ECU swap so the S1 could take advantage of the "optimized fuel mapping"?

Sorry, its not that easy! S1 forks pair with S1 calipers. S2 forks w/S2 calipers. S2 calipers also fit early R6 forks.

S2's have Narrowband O2 sensor, the header has CATs, the Mid-pipe on the S2 Header Flows much better, the muffler interchanges on both. The S2 adapts to changes as it runs Closed loop to build a fuel map. The S1's are open loop and run off the ECU map for fueling.

No gains on swapping the ECU just grab a fuel controller if your quest involves better throttle response and less fuel chop at low RPM (like out of corner power up).

Looks through here; you'll see some of the things I'm talking about. 08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~

Goodies I have for sale include S2 forks.... S2 Forks, S2 mid-pipe, S1 Oil pan, +++ OEM stuff ->LOOK!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!

There are other changes from the S1 to S2 which was a stamped steel swing arm to the cast aluminum one with different wheel alignment/chain adjusters. The fairing looks different with a different wind screen. The subframes are also different. :)

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as I'm aware the golden year/model for the FZ6 is considered to be the 2007 S2... there's a reason they go for slightly more than the S1! But you'll be getting a great bike either way.

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
well all of my prospects fell through. there is one 07 available near me in good condition but it's at 20k miles, kind of dirty looking, and $3k. not a terrible deal but it's just not turning me on considering the very clean low mile examples available for less then $500 more. then there are several extremely clean sv650's around for about the same. should i go for the 20k bike or hold out for a lower mile example?

Reaction score
Visit site
well all of my prospects fell through. there is one 07 available near me in good condition but it's at 20k miles, kind of dirty looking, and $3k. not a terrible deal but it's just not turning me on considering the very clean low mile examples available for less then $500 more. then there are several extremely clean sv650's around for about the same. should i go for the 20k bike or hold out for a lower mile example?

Take a look at the 20K one. I was reticent about picking mine up because the mileage was 28K before I got to it but Yamaha build good bikes which last well and a lot of people here have done a lot more than that on their bikes. Mine just had it's valve clearances checked at a shade over 30K and nothing had moved, service was routine with no big surprises and it's in excellent shape.

You can always barter with the owner anyway. Have a look, maybe it's just in need of a good clean, assuming it's mechanically sound with good service history and isn't rusting to pieces it might be just the bike for you. If you're unsure take someone along who can spot any problems right away.

The other way to look at high mileage, if it's not wholly excessive (50K and up) is that it's the sign of a good bike that the previous owner(s) have enjoyed riding, rather than a low mileage garage queen which wasn't.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless it shows evidence of being a track bike, it likely has years of trouble free riding ahead.

It does tip the scales in that all the fluids need done ASAP and perhaps a chain and sprocket, but folks can ruin a chain in 5000 miles too.

I would look and make an offer you feel good about. Also, I'm of the opinion that sitting for years is harder on vehicles than using them so as they age, I would not hesitate to grab one with more miles than one which was parked.

Mine had low miles, was filthy, the chain neglected, and the oil had been changed once at the 600 mile mark. It was 3 years old at the time and I would detail a section until the grime was gone.

POINT: if the owner implies they did the proper care along the way should be OK.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Take it from someone who could be a motorcycle torture tester, someone who has broke more bikes than most people have owned, someone rode his fz6 through the gates of hell and back, 20,000 miles is nothing on a fz6.

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
I had plans to make a 5 hour trip to get a 8/10 2008 on sunday. Just cancelled on him because the perfect candidate came up 3 hours away. 2007, spotless, needs nothing, maintained, has a power commander, $3200. Going to buy it tomorrow night providing there are no surprises.
2007 Yamaha FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I had plans to make a 5 hour trip to get a 8/10 2008 on sunday. Just cancelled on him because the perfect candidate came up 3 hours away. 2007, spotless, needs nothing, maintained, has a power commander, $3200. Going to buy it tomorrow night providing there are no surprises.
2007 Yamaha FZ6

Oh, first impressions suggest it's a beaut. Hopefully it's just as good as it looks and the description makes it sound.

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
I got it! I've had only positive surprises out of it so far, other than finding that it gets lower MPG than stock due to the power commander tune. he didn't ride enough for it to be important to him. I'm all about some MPG so the power commander will either be coming off or getting a new tune after I do some research. I'll post some pictures once I figure out how to best upload them on here. do they have to be hosted on photobucket or something?

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No need for a hosting site, just download them to your PC and click on the paper clip while composing a message. Then browse till you find them and upload the puppies. Looking forward to seeing your bike....

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats. Your bike is my twin brother, 07 & blue as well. I'm up in Frederick, MD. If you ever want to ride some weekend, shoot me a PM. My bike is down at the moment for repairs, but I'm working to get it fixed ASAP.

kinderwood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Regarding the PC tune, you should be able to connect it to your computer and save the current map as a backup. Then you could just 0 it all out. This would revert the bike to stock ECU without actually having to disconnect and remove the power commander. You could compare the MPG & performance differences by switching between the 0 map and the current tuned map.