Some advice on forks guys!??

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I've been reading and its clearly time to change the oil in the forks.
Got the oil, took the caps off.....
What?
No oil?
Oh take sleeves out first, then hook out springs and let forks sag down.
Ah, oil!
Oh dear. Not very nice is it? 30,000 miles not nice is what it is. (grey sludge mostly)
Now I have some questions.
Has anyone done this at the roadside without taking the stanchions out?
Is it vaguely possible to suck out the old stuff? (going to the local store in a mo to find something maybe)
Then, what is the standard measurement from the top of the oil to the top of the tree threads? (currently at 130mm or 5 1/8")

Oh yes, while I was reading a thread on forks here, I wondered what the term 'dive' actually referred to. Went outside and pushed down on the bars with the brake on. Result was about 1 1/2" of instant movement before resistance was felt. I take it that is dive. Funny how I've not really noticed it before, but I can see how this is not good.
Any help greatly appreciated!

Fox

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
These forks will require removal from the clamps, so you can invert them and get the sludge to drain out. I have often wondered why Yamaha did not install drain plugs at the bottom, to allow changing the oil without removal. If there were drain plugs, you could easily pull the plugs, pump the fork up and down, and all of the oil would exit through those drain points.

Put the plugs back in, open the top end, and pour in the appropriate amount of fresh clean oil.....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you end up pulling the forks and getting this completed?

I think the grey look is traces of aluminum as the slides wear. All I know is it in a short time it looks and smells Baaaaaaad!