SoCal Hoons - Summer's End Ride (when?)

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So what time and what place?

Jerry

I haven't had time to figure it out. I'm thinking 10am-ish somewhere, perhaps Santa Ysabel? What do you think? What would work for you and Cali if he can make it? FYI, Ortega Hwy is subject to unannounced closures due to recent fire and flooding, so you can't count on it being open.

I'll be done with my school week later today and can devote some brainpower to this question if it hasn't already been answered by other Hoons.

:D

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What about a "Border Patrol " route then swing back up through sunrise hwy to Julian?

WP 8/Lumia 920 using Board Express

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What about a "Border Patrol " route then swing back up through sunrise hwy to Julian?

WP 8/Lumia 920 using Board Express

Good idea! We could meet in Mira Mesa at the Shell station just off the 15 frwy at Mira Mesa Blvd. The 15 frwy to the 8 frwy and start the ride at Greenfield Dr. Mobile station where we'll top off if needed. We will probably zig zag via 52 and the 125 which will cut miles and time getting to Greenfield Dr.
We can backtrack on Old Hwy 80 back to the 8 frwy westward and pickup Sunrise Hwy to Julian. Who hasn't done the Border Patrol Ride with us beside Cali rider? Maybe John has done this route?

This route will help us stay a little cooler by doing the southern route first and then climbing elevations toward the later part of the ride. Bring you water! :)

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't done the "Border Patrol" route. That sounds good to me if it's okay with Jerry & Cali. Is 10am a good meet time at the Shell station off Mira Mesa Blvd & 15?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't have too much fun doing the "Border Patrol" route. Meanwhile, NorCal burns and fills the mountain air with layers of smoke. Uggh.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't have too much fun doing the "Border Patrol" route. Meanwhile, NorCal burns and fills the mountain air with layers of smoke. Uggh.

Sorry to hear about that. When we had big fires here years ago a lot of people got sick from the smoke. I got sick and eventually had to stay indoors because I was running around getting family and animals settled in a safe spot.

Stay out of the smoke brother! :)

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can one of you who knows the route post a map?

On a completely unrelated note: I went to AAA Speedway today as an observer of the mythical awesomeness that is "track day." It's not a myth. But it was also SO HOT that had I been signed up to ride, I would've had to stop after the first couple of runs.

It also made me realize that I'm not in the right economic bracket for this specialty aspect of riding. It requires far too many accessories. I think I'll just have to save my pennies so I can go to a riding school. I think I will have a better chance of enjoying the day and becoming a better rider with less chance of crashing my bike.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

On a completely unrelated note: I went to AAA Speedway today as an observer of the mythical awesomeness that is "track day." It's not a myth. But it was also SO HOT that had I been signed up to ride, I would've had to stop after the first couple of runs.

It also made me realize that I'm not in the right economic bracket for this specialty aspect of riding. It requires far too many accessories. I think I'll just have to save my pennies so I can go to a riding school. I think I will have a better chance of enjoying the day and becoming a better rider with less chance of crashing my bike.

I'll try to get us a map route of the "Border Patrol" route tonight. :)

I would love to do track and build my confidence and skills! :rockon:

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If I ever win the lottery, I'll set us all up. I'll rent out Laguna Seca too. :D

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I ever win the lottery, I'll set us all up. I'll rent out Laguna Seca too. :D

:bow: Can we all get t-shirts that say "God is Goop" or is that too sacrilegious?

OMG just imagine if the HOONs took over Laguna Seca for time! That is some serious sh!t. I can imagine folks flying in for a day or so. Rider skills clinics with Vegas & Erci (& Misti - I don't know all the instructors on our forum). We could go the opposite direction for an hour in honor of all our left-hand side of the road riders. A homebrew beer competition on the side. An international pot luck dinner with specialty dishes from your country/region. Anyone who goes down joins the "Suicidal Squirrels Team." ...Go buy a lottery ticket! I'm having too much fun just thinking about it!

:BLAA:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:bow: Can we all get t-shirts that say "God is Goop" or is that too sacrilegious?

OMG just imagine if the HOONs took over Laguna Seca for time! That is some serious sh!t. I can imagine folks flying in for a day or so. Rider skills clinics with Vegas & Erci (& Misti - I don't know all the instructors on our forum). We could go the opposite direction for an hour in honor of all our left-hand side of the road riders. A homebrew beer competition on the side. An international pot luck dinner with specialty dishes from your country/region. Anyone who goes down joins the "Suicidal Squirrels Team." ...Go buy a lottery ticket! I'm having too much fun just thinking about it!

LMAO! Some of us already belong to the "Suicidal Squirrels Team"

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay! here's a map of the southern part of this trip that Bryan and I call, "The Border Patrol"

I've routed the map from the Greenfield Ave. Mobile Station (1761 Greenfield Dr, El Cajon, CA.) but we'll all be meeting at the Shell station in Mira Mesa and go together by freeways 15 to the 52 to the 125 to the 8 to Greenfield road to start the southern route.

Some of this southern area is frequented by road bicyclist so be cautious as to their bad habits. I've seen them riding 2 and 3 abreast causing oncoming cars to be in my lane. There will be plenty of fun spots. We will stop at the Lions Vally General Store for a break. It's a small back track on Lyons Valley road that I did not list on the route.

I'm sure we'll have a great ride on some fresh roads that others haven't been on yet. I know I'll be enjoying the company of some of the very best people I know! Bring your water and pre-hydrate!

Route: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...0.224027,0.445976&iwloc=0004e53639a922c535e79

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I took the California Superbike School at Laguna Seca in 1989 which was awesome.
The following year I volunteered as a corner worker at the school which entitled you to free track time on your own bike during the rider breaks. :rockon:

Awesome pic! :D

Sent from Moto's Droid using Tapatalk 2 :mikebike:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

That is some awesome dreaming right there, Jen! :thumbup:

I absolutely will fly down when Goop rents LS for the day.. and I'll take care of dessert for pot luck :D :rof:

sandctrev

Reaction score
Visit site
:bow: A homebrew beer competition on the side.BLAA:

Rene said she would like to go for that. I just saw a few 10 speeders getting a ticket for riding in the rd . Maby they will spread the word and be tame for Mondays ride. I'm feeling the 9 dollar prime rib... ... Hope I can make it.