So... if I go the MOD route

aaronshum

Reaction score
Visit site
Despite most of you suggesting I just go with a SS. My common sense, bank account, and good riding friends all suggested I look into adjusting the FZ a bit before I throw the towel on it.

So, I want a "bit more" aggressive position on the bike, as I use it mainly for leisure rides to and from work (maybe leisure and work shouldn't be in the same sentence, but riding there may be the only reason I'm not killing everyone there :D) for about 25 miles each way (in some traffic) and never for touring.

Hoping to adjust the bike to a bit more of my riding style--efficient but not suicidal weaving around slow pokes and sneaking in some fun around on-off-ramps and corners.

Now, I'm thinking:
- sport/race handlebar or clip-on
- adjustable rearset
- Corbin or TS seat, but maybe just a seat cowl?

Anyone here have experience using clip-ons? Adjustable rearsets? I do remember reading about a couple of threads RE handlebars, but not much on clip-ons. Also, recall Rizoma rearset seem not to fit as well because of center-stand... anyone heard of/used Ottimoto rearsets?

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're looking for a bit more of an aggressive position, handlebars are definitely the place to start (and there are good, relatively cheap options).

'06 FZ1 handlebars (many, many threads on them and what I tried first) - about $40 at any Yamaha dealership. They are threaded on the ends so you can still use the stock bar ends. They also give a more relaxed (re: less outward-turned wrist position).

Suburban Machinery handlebars - what I have now. More expensive (about $150 new I think...I got mine used), sit just slightly higher than the FZ1 handlebars but also allow for the grips to be angled downward, more like a SS bike with clip-ons. Have a distinctive look. They are also threaded on the ends for the stock bar ends. Also have the more relaxed wrist position.

Clubman handlebars - These are something I'd like to try. I believe they sit lower than the FZ1 handlebars, but not quite as low as clip-ons.

Clip-ons - you can use any clip-on that will fit a 43mm fork diameter.

As far as rearsets go, some people on here have gone with the less-expensive Ottomoto rearsets and seem to be very pleased with them. The member Geoff just put these one his bike and I think he did a thread on them. A quick search should turn that up.

Rizoma rearsets are the gold standard, and quite expensive, but well worth the $$$. Yes, you do have an interference problem with the centerstand foot pad, but that's easily solved. Check out Boneman's site and you'll see how he fixed the problem.

There's also the option of oso2k's setback plates, if you want the position of adjustable rearsets, without the option of adjusting them (if that makes any sense). I recently put them on my FZ6 and absolutely love them. You do have to tinker with the shifter linkage, and do some shimming with a few washers here and there, but they work perfectly once you get them set up. I will tell you that with any sort of setback plate or adjustable rearset, your knees will pay a bit more of a price on longer rides. But you get used to it over time and it definitely gives a more aggressive position.

FWIW, I've also got a Corbin and it's the single greatest comfort mod I've done. I could only go about 30 minutes on the stock seat before my rear end was screaming, but on the Corbin, I can ride all day and be just fine.

That's what makes the FZ6 so great. You can trick it out for anything from full-on touring mode or strip it down and make it a very aggressive bike. I started out going for the touring setup, but when my riding style changed, I was able to put all these mods on there (easily) and now I've got a bike that carves the twisties without killing my body in the process.

aaronshum

Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally cracked and ordered a TS seat. One off their current stock hoping for a better quality and quick turnaround (ordered this morning, they've already shipped!).

Since I don't plan on doing track yet, hoping the seat would work well for my commuting. If anything I bought a pan from TS so I can aways go back to stock and sell the TS in Canada (which should go quick, heh) if the cushy seat is too soft. I did skip the gel as I've read it could make the seat way too soft.

If the seat works well, next will probably be an adjustable rearset follow shortly by a race handlebar or clip-on.

Big thanks to CCHouseKey for your huge and informative post! :rockon:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the TS seat and love it. It's very butt friendly. Not too soft and not too hard just right for me anyway. I have the FZ1 bars and they are a great improvement to the stockers. :rockon: