Service Advice

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had my 08 FZ6 for about a year now and it has 4100 miles on it (bought with only 2300 on the clock) With the miles being low but it being about 6 years old, what service would you recommend on it? I see things for higher mileage like plugs and servicing forks, but more curious about the age of the plugs, fork oil, etc.. I am only going to change out the tires due to their age as I do know rubber gets hard as it ages..

• Just changed the oil with Motul 7100
  • Has original tires, plan on changing out very soon due to age - but are still in great shape

Thanks!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd probably change the oil, brake fluid, grease the axle bearings (and maybe swing arm ones), check the air filter, and maybe sync the throttle bodies. Check for cracks and dry rot on the tyres, it might be worth changing them. If the fork seals aren't leaking then leave them. Check the chain and sprockets for wear or rust, and adjust if needed (better a little loose than tight though)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add to the above, get the bike on the centerstand. Jack up the header just enough to spin the front tire.

Make sure you can get at least 1/2-1 full "free spin" by hand at the wheel. Yamaha recommends, brake seal replacement every two years. I've found 4-5 years more realistic.

If they drag bad, its time to at least clean them, likely to replace the seals...

And congrates!!!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's been inside all that time, I'd be less concerned of hoses, bearings (both stem and swing arm), but you do need to change the coolant ASAP!

Yes, check for rodent intrusion at the air filter and one has to wonder how well the battery is performing if its just been hanging out all this time or if it was replaced before you picked it up?

Fist Two Items in my hands:
X BLEED THE BRAKES -->> # 13 http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...uel-pump-battery-charging-brake-bleeding.html
X COOLANT CHANGE

I didn't see a concise coolant flush thread. But its not rocket science.

COOLANT REPLACE:
* Let it cool, confirm hoses are not under pressure, remove bolt from water pump, allow to drain.
* Thoroughly clean and inspect radiator cap. Clean the seals and fill neck of radiator.
* Remove coolant reservoir, wash it, return it.
* Install drain bolt. Fill with Distilled water, Ride for 30 min.
* Allow to cool, confirm not under pressure. Drain it.
* Add 50/50 Silcate free AntiFreeze and distilled water. Top off reservoir w/50/50 mix. Ride it and confirm its still full.

Personally I oppose PRE-MIX as dry fill is NOT the same volume as a flush because you can't get ALL the COOLANT (water) out and your premix is now diluted! Just saying pay attention to what really comes out. Some times it matters.
  • Lets say the bike holds 2 liters.
  • Lets say you only drain out 1.5 liters and Add back 1.5 of Pre Mix. It is no longer 50/50, which may reduce your boiling point and rust/corrosion inhibitors needed to last 2 - 4 years.
During flush and fill measure what comes out from FULL. Do the math and mix your concentrate w/distilled. JM2C