Seeking advice on possible purchase - 2007 FZ6

Bunkka

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a 2007 FZ6 for sale locally that has me going back and forth over whether to pick it up or not.

Here are the details:

- 45xxx miles on it
- documented maintenance
- Two Bros. slip on
- PC III
- Ohlins rear shock
- R6 front forks
- color match belly pan
- Galfer brake lines
- recently replaced chain & sprockets (Renthal and DiD-X chain)
- possibly a set of dunlops for it? Was unclear.
- beautiful blue

Also comes with some extras - R6 exhaust manifold and cams, and some of his gear, I believe (helmet and jacket, or something like that.)

He is asking $3100 OBO.

I offered him $2500 for it, and he came back with $2800 and said he wouldn't go lower.

If the bike had half the miles on it, I wouldn't be posting this. I had asked about this deal on reddit, and was pointed in this direction by a member. I will say that on reddit, the majority said to stay away, although those with an FZ6 didn't seem as worried about the mileage. That is mainly why I am asking you guys.

I see value in the suspension being sorted, but as anyone know, you can't just tack on mod value to the price of a bike. It may factor into it, but won't carry 100%.

To be honest, the guy really seems to know what's up, and I wouldn't be surprised to find him as an active member on this forum. I am just doing what I do. Ask. Ask. Ask.

There is a near bone stock silver 2007 FZ6 that a guy is asking $2100 for with 8k miles on it and a new tire, just to give you an idea of another bike for sale.

Thanks guys.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy cow, those prices are way better than where I live!

That said, if the big maintenance jobs have been completed, I wouldn't be worried about the bike. It seems from the list of upgrades that the guy cared about the bike. The R6 fork upgrade is a huge upgrade over the stock forks and calipers. Ohlins doesn't make cheap suspension components. Two Brothers is arguably the most expensive slip on you can get for the FZ6. It seems like the guy cared about the bike and bought good parts for it.

If the important maintenance items, like getting the valves checked, were done in a timely fashion and everything that needed doing was done, then that bike should ride beautifully. If you're still worried take it to a local mechanic for a once over.

For reference, I would probably have to pay at least $4k for an equivalent bike around me (estimating from what I have seen). That might not be competitive against other bikes by you, but I would be seriously interested.

Now to play devils advocate: You mentioned a second bike, all stock... This could be the perfect bike to work on (if you're into that) and customize exactly how you like it. I paid $3300 this past summer for my 2004 all stock with 12.k miles.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd hit it. :thumbup:

I've got my '07, 27,xxx miles, up for sale, for a bit more $; it has a lot of mods but not those killer suspension mods your example has. I'd just make sure to leaf through his/her maintenance records and make sure nothing's amiss, and then go for it!

Let us know what happens! :welcome:

Bunkka

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy cow, those prices are way better than where I live!

That said, if the big maintenance jobs have been completed, I wouldn't be worried about the bike. It seems from the list of upgrades that the guy cared about the bike. The R6 fork upgrade is a huge upgrade over the stock forks and calipers. Ohlins doesn't make cheap suspension components. Two Brothers is arguably the most expensive slip on you can get for the FZ6. It seems like the guy cared about the bike and bought good parts for it.

If the important maintenance items, like getting the valves checked, were done in a timely fashion and everything that needed doing was done, then that bike should ride beautifully. If you're still worried take it to a local mechanic for a once over.

For reference, I would probably have to pay at least $4k for an equivalent bike around me (estimating from what I have seen). That might not be competitive against other bikes by you, but I would be seriously interested.

Now to play devils advocate: You mentioned a second bike, all stock... This could be the perfect bike to work on (if you're into that) and customize exactly how you like it. I paid $3300 this past summer for my 2004 all stock with 12.k miles.

I am on a mobile device, so please excuse the bulk quote.

I agree that there are a lot of good signs, but I have been boondoggled in the past. I will also freely admit that I tallied up the cost of the mods and easily see $2k plus there alone. I like the bike, and see nothing I wouldn't do on my own. The only two things I would change is bumping the year up to 2009 and halving the mileage if I were looking for the perfect bike.

The guy is the second owner, but I agree that whoever did it up obviously cared for the bike. Like when you see ceramic coated headers on a muscle car, instead of the cheapest option, it shows interest in quality.

I almost want to go for the silver one and leave it stock for commuting purposes, but I know that I will inevitably upgrade. I like the idea of where this bike is at with mods, and it would save me money in the long term....

As for prices, I have lived on both coasts, and have seen both ends of the spectrum. Bout time I got the better end of the stick. :)

Also, I have been waiting for the season to come to an end before buying so prices would be a little lower.

Bunkka

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd hit it. :thumbup:

I've got my '07, 27,xxx miles, up for sale, for a bit more $; it has a lot of mods but not those killer suspension mods your example has. I'd just make sure to leaf through his/her maintenance records and make sure nothing's amiss, and then go for it!

Let us know what happens! :welcome:

I actually went to the for sale section before posting just to check prices. Unfortunately, you are outside of my purchase area.. :(

If I pick it up this weekend, I will be sure to share. I will also be back to ask a million more questions too.. :)

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I am on a mobile device, so please excuse the bulk quote.

I agree that there are a lot of good signs, but I have been boondoggled in the past. I will also freely admit that I tallied up the cost of the mods and easily see $2k plus there alone. I like the bike, and see nothing I wouldn't do on my own. The only two things I would change is bumping the year up to 2009 and halving the mileage if I were looking for the perfect bike.

The guy is the second owner, but I agree that whoever did it up obviously cared for the bike. Like when you see ceramic coated headers on a muscle car, instead of the cheapest option, it shows interest in quality.

I almost want to go for the silver one and leave it stock for commuting purposes, but I know that I will inevitably upgrade. I like the idea of where this bike is at with mods, and it would save me money in the long term....

As for prices, I have lived on both coasts, and have seen both ends of the spectrum. Bout time I got the better end of the stick. :)

Also, I have been waiting for the season to come to an end before buying so prices would be a little lower.

That's something I hadn't thought about. Buying the slightly more expensive one now will probably save you a fair bit in upgrade costs. But at the same time, buying the cheaper bike will get you a bike with significantly fewer miles. That makes the decision pretty tough.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's a great deal if you like the mods. Ask him whether the valve check were performed on the bike. That's the only major maintenance cost if you have it performed. And how old are the tires, anything past three years I would get it replaced, a cost that can run you between 3-400 for a set.

Don't be concerned with the miles, I have over 99k miles on my FZ.

Also the last silver bike in production was back in 2004 or 2005. There is no major change from the 04-06, but 07 on it has a different front fairing, windscreen and instrument cluster.

Last edited:

Bunkka

Reaction score
Visit site
That's something I hadn't thought about. Buying the slightly more expensive one now will probably save you a fair bit in upgrade costs. But at the same time, buying the cheaper bike will get you a bike with significantly fewer miles. That makes the decision pretty tough.

Tough indeed! I am heming and hawing like crazy over it.

I think it's a great deal if you like the mods. Ask him whether the valve check were performed on the bike. That's the only major maintenance cost if you have it performed. And how old are the tires, anything past three years I would get it replaced, a cost that can run you between 3-400 for a set.

Don't be concerned with the miles, I have over 99k miles on my FZ.

Also the last silver bike in production was back in 2004 or 2005. There is no major change from the 04-06, but 07 on it has a different front fairing, windscreen and instrument cluster.

Thanks for the input. I'll bug him about the tires for clarification. Both the tires on the bike and the possible extras.

As for the valve check, yes it was performed around 26K, and from what I have seen, it is coming due in a couple thousand more miles.

As for the silver one, I checked the ad again, and it definitely has the updated cluster and fairing along with the black frame and engine components! The plot thickens. Also, the guy with the silver one said it needs a fork seal, I believe. I should offer him a few hundred less, though, for using the vertical camera mode.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
well its a couple of interesting choices. i think it also depends on how you're going to use the bike, ride the bike, and what you expect out of it

the higher mileage bike sounds like its ready for performance duty. some really nice mods on it, as you mention.has it been run hard? raced at the track? who knows. but i doubt it was abused. its hard to abuse these bikes. they take a beating

when looking for my bike i saw some FZ6's with nearly 80,000 miles on them. they were running and looking good. however maybe you want more than a possible 30,000 mile bike? but if you ride 10,000 miles a year or less a 3 or 4 year bike like this can be some fun

the silver one? well i bought my own '07 several months ago with similar mileage (6700) for $3000, all stock. couldn't be happier with the bike and a lower mileage one would be my choice. but that is because i ride daily and depend on my bike the same. besides a scooter its my only means of transpo and lower miles seems like "more reliable." of course that is not always so, however

that said, in this case the silver bike has been painted. why? well it looks like a good job was done and has a sporty look. could be a purely cosmetic move, or trying to hide some wear or damage? whatever the case i'd give the bike a good once over, twice :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The silver one has an early, S1 windshield. And yes, it does have a later S2 gauge package. And agreed, there were no silver 2007 bikes.

Between the paint, descrepencies, I bet that bike was re-assembled/painted from two bikes, probably a wrecked 07 with an early nose on it. Its not in stock form..

Did he mention if the bike was wrecked or anything? If not or denies it, I would probably go with the other bike, he's NOT being straight up with you..

If you really like the silver bike, sit on it, on the center stand and look straight down the middle. If its been dropped hard and bent the main stay(holds the fairing), the whole nose piece will be off (crooked), if it wasn't replaced. Check anything on the sides, covers, foot pegs, end of clutch handle brake lever, etc, for any scrapping/road rash...

I bought my bike for cheap, STOCK, wrecked, with lots of road rash, but I knew the owner and the history of the bike. Lots of new parts, can't tell...

My mostly stock 07, just to compare, 18,000+ miles currently;

Last edited:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope it has already been said, but 45000 miles on these bikes is nothing to worry about (though valve check will be needed soon). I don't know what the people on reddit are worried about. :rolleyes:

This space intentionally left blank.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
A well maintained bike with a list of mods you want anyway that you could part out otherwise and make close to 75% of the cost of the bike back on to go back to stock parts and still have a great bike?

To me it's a no brainer. Mileage scares a lot of people but in reality there are plenty of bikes with high miles that are in much better shape and the engine is less worn than bikes with half the miles that were beat on and not maintained.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
A well maintained bike with a list of mods you want anyway that you could part out otherwise and make close to 75% of the cost of the bike back on to go back to stock parts and still have a great bike?

To me it's a no brainer. Mileage scares a lot of people but in reality there are plenty of bikes with high miles that are in much better shape and the engine is less worn than bikes with half the miles that were beat on and not maintained.
This is very true. I mean, if an engine isn't broken in well, it could have 1000 miles on it and be in worse shape than one with 10000+ miles. The raw numbers are less important than how well it it was taken care of.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd take all those mods in heart beat for $3000!!!! Besides, a 7 year old bike that has LOW MILES is likely to be a greater problem child than one that has been ridden for 7 years!!

Other than the Mystery Silver color (find out why), thats screaming deal!
It wouldn't surprise me if its been down, had some parts thrown at it, and received a color change along the way. All things being equal, inspect the frame for changes in texture the key point being look for hair line cracks! If the frame is good BUY IT!
FWIW: mine has acquired various scratches in the black frame and some make you do a double take but you'll know a crack when you see it.

If you buy it, You won't be disappointed! :thumbup:
If you want to go super anal, bring the guy some oil and filter, leave him the oil, take the old filter and cut it open. If the engine/trans is coming apart, there will be signs of this in the pleats of the oil filter.

Bunkka

Reaction score
Visit site
well its a couple of interesting choices. i think it also depends on how you're going to use the bike, ride the bike, and what you expect out of it

the higher mileage bike sounds like its ready for performance duty. some really nice mods on it, as you mention.has it been run hard? raced at the track? who knows. but i doubt it was abused. its hard to abuse these bikes. they take a beating

when looking for my bike i saw some FZ6's with nearly 80,000 miles on them. they were running and looking good. however maybe you want more than a possible 30,000 mile bike? but if you ride 10,000 miles a year or less a 3 or 4 year bike like this can be some fun

the silver one? well i bought my own '07 several months ago with similar mileage (6700) for $3000, all stock. couldn't be happier with the bike and a lower mileage one would be my choice. but that is because i ride daily and depend on my bike the same. besides a scooter its my only means of transpo and lower miles seems like "more reliable." of course that is not always so, however

that said, in this case the silver bike has been painted. why? well it looks like a good job was done and has a sporty look. could be a purely cosmetic move, or trying to hide some wear or damage? whatever the case i'd give the bike a good once over, twice :)

All good points. I definitely am second thinking the silver one. The guy actually seems to be a polar opposite of the guy with the blue one. Not near as knowledgeable, confident, etc.. I will be using it as a main mode of transport, so the mileage still nags me, but not as bad as before.

The silver one has an early, S1 windshield. And yes, it does have a later S2 gauge package. And agreed, there were no silver 2007 bikes.

Between the paint, descrepencies, I bet that bike was re-assembled/painted from two bikes, probably a wrecked 07 with an early nose on it. Its not in stock form..

Did he mention if the bike was wrecked or anything? If not or denies it, I would probably go with the other bike, he's NOT being straight up with you..

If you really like the silver bike, sit on it, on the center stand and look straight down the middle. If its been dropped hard and bent the main stay(holds the fairing), the whole nose piece will be off (crooked), if it wasn't replaced. Check anything on the sides, covers, foot pegs, end of clutch handle brake lever, etc, for any scrapping/road rash...

I bought my bike for cheap, STOCK, wrecked, with lots of road rash, but I knew the owner and the history of the bike. Lots of new parts, can't tell...

My mostly stock 07, just to compare, 18,000+ miles currently;

I think the silver one will be available for someone else to purchase. Too many "what if's", especially compared to the blue one. Also, to be honest, the silver color just doesn't do it for me, lol. I mostly kept it as an option as an exercise in maturity.

By the way, your bike is beautiful, and simply ends any thought to a bike in a color other than blue. lol.

Very good point. That actually seals it for me. I can take a loss on a bike, worst case scenario, but that softens the blow quite a lot. Thank you.

I'd take all those mods in heart beat for $3000!!!! Besides, a 7 year old bike that has LOW MILES is likely to be a greater problem child than one that has been ridden for 7 years!!

Other than the Mystery Silver color (find out why), thats screaming deal!
It wouldn't surprise me if its been down, had some parts thrown at it, and received a color change along the way. All things being equal, inspect the frame for changes in texture the key point being look for hair line cracks! If the frame is good BUY IT!
FWIW: mine has acquired various scratches in the black frame and some make you do a double take but you'll know a crack when you see it.

If you buy it, You won't be disappointed! :thumbup:
If you want to go super anal, bring the guy some oil and filter, leave him the oil, take the old filter and cut it open. If the engine/trans is coming apart, there will be signs of this in the pleats of the oil filter.

The screaming deal is starting to look a little scary. Just no digging the question marks around it. I like the oil filter idea, but the guy said he just changed the oil with the chain, do you think 200 miles would show anything in the filter?

On a side note, I ride my little Honda 250 supermoto as a urban commute daily ride right now. Put about 5-6000 miles on it a year. That is just about the same kind of mileage that the blue one has gotten. I feel a little better about it now. The FZ6 will be filling a new highway commute niche, so I won't be 5 mins from work any more. Probably will pile on the miles.

And.. because the internet is awesome, I didn't ask the guy if he was on here, but I did find a post of his. He has a single post on this website. Here are a couple pics of the bike from the craigslist ad for you guys. Well, at least the ones that don't show up in reverse image search :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I see our speed reading has cost us.....
  • Blue has miles and goodies.
  • Silver is another bike with low miles and reduced price tag.
FWIW: my 08 has 21K, on it and has required zero REPAIR $dollars$ from any kind of mechanical or electronic issues.

It does have - R6 forks, R1 rear shock, FZ1 bars and Twos Bro Exhaust. Each of these items made huge gain towards me loving it for being the jack of all trades...

In the pic there is an 07 behind it... same basic mods except the forks. Having ridden both, the forks really help it in corners. But if your intent is just highway miles, well most are content with the OEM hardware.
IMG_20130728_105315_390_zps5caf0062.jpg

Good luck what ever you decide!

Bunkka

Reaction score
Visit site
I see our speed reading has cost us.....
  • Blue has miles and goodies.
  • Silver is another bike with low miles and reduced price tag.
FWIW: my 08 has 21K, on it and has required zero REPAIR $dollars$ from any kind of mechanical or electronic issues.

It does have - R6 forks, R1 rear shock, FZ1 bars and Twos Bro Exhaust. Each of these items made huge gain towards me loving it for being the jack of all trades...

In the pic there is an 07 behind it... same basic mods except the forks. Having ridden both, the forks really help it in corners. But if your intent is just highway miles, well most are content with the OEM hardware.
IMG_20130728_105315_390_zps5caf0062.jpg

Good luck what ever you decide!

The bike will be mainly for commuting, but the allure is definitely that I can take this bike for some light sport touring, or head up to the mountains to hit some twisties. Jack of all trades, indeed.

More pictures of amazing bikes. Seems like I am going to love it here.