Seafoam in fuel pump?

namruso

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys.

I've used seafoam as a fuel additive in the past and it's worked great for me. I know there are a few other uses such as adding it in the oil a few miles (~100) before the next oil change and adding it directly into the fuel pump.

I was wondering if anyone else can chime in on if the fuel pump option should be done or if you have done it and what results you have had.

I didn't see a how to thread about it either, and I'm kinda lost where the fuel pump is located. I've done a number of mods to my bike but haven't touched anything with the gas lines. I have a S1 Red(fastest color).

Mahalo in advance!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys.

I've used seafoam as a fuel additive in the past and it's worked great for me. I know there are a few other uses such as adding it in the oil a few miles (~100) before the next oil change and adding it directly into the fuel pump.

I was wondering if anyone else can chime in on if the fuel pump option should be done or if you have done it and what results you have had.

I didn't see a how to thread about it either, and I'm kinda lost where the fuel pump is located. I've done a number of mods to my bike but haven't touched anything with the gas lines. I have a S1 Red(fastest color).

Mahalo in advance!

The fuel pump is in the tank and to literally get straight seafoam into it, your going to have to remove it and put it in a smaller can or fill the tank up with it.

If there's no issues, just preventive maintenance, simply adding to the fuel will be fine, even on the heavy side...

Another product that IME, works even better, (and more $), is Yamaha's RingFree. It's a top end cleaner and FUEL SYSTEM cleaner.

It's extremely popular in the marine world, I run it in EVERY GAS machine I own. Reg use is 1oz / 10 gallons, SHOCK USE is 2oz /1 gallon.

It is NOT a STABILIZER. You can get it a bit cheaper on Flea bay:

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/ring-free-plus?b=Search&d=34

Last edited:

namruso

Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel pump is in the tank and to literally get straight seafoam into it, your going to have to remove it and put it in a smaller can or fill the tank up with it.

If there's no issues, just preventive maintenance, simply adding to the fuel will be fine, even on the heavy side...

Another product that IME, works even better, (and more $), is Yamaha's RingFree. It's a top end cleaner and FUEL SYSTEM cleaner.

It's extremely popular in the marine world, I run it in EVERY GAS machine I own. Reg use is 1oz / 10 gallons, SHOCK USE is 2oz /1 gallon.

It is NOT a STABILIZER. You can get it a bit cheaper on Flea bay:

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/ring-free-plus?b=Search&d=34

I can't tell you how useful that explaination was. It does populate more question though. Since RingFree is not a stabilizer, how often should in be using it? I use seafoam maybe once every other month. Thoughts?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like Seafoam and it does work VERY well. You can keep on doing what your doing, your fine.

I just found the RF as the best product for keeping the fuel system clean.

I use it (Seafoam) more for storing engines (put a couple teaspoons in the combustion chamber, spin over to lube the entire top end,and store at TDC)

Should you store your bike (for say over a month) and use ethanol fuel, as a stabilizer, I use either "Gas Shok" or "K100":

Gas-Shok Plus Gasoline Fuel Treatment • USA Fuel Service

Demonstration | Fuel Additive | K-100 Third video down is quite enlightening(and it does indeed do this)

As noted, I use the RF and K100 in the bike regularly. Just preventive maintenance and I ride 365 a year down here.

I use it in boat as well, K100 at the "storage mix"

The tank in the boat is about 60 gallons and the engine sips fuel so fuel stays there well over numerous months. The K100 keeps it fresh literally for over two years(non-ethanol). It also mixes ANY water in the fuel so it get s burned off BUT that's not generally an issue for our bikes.

Lastly, my friend got a 500 Kawasaki twin that sat for easily 2 years and the carbs were clogged big time. He didn't want to pull the carbs, (I would have) so we drained the carbs(still on the bike) and poured straight Seafoam into the carbs and let it sit. Several hours later, we drained it and filled with fresh fuel. tried cranking it up, one cylinder hit, (smoked like heck) and within several minutes the other carb opened up and fired!! After some revving, it was idling and running like a top (and the carbs were NEVER removed, pulled apart, nothing). I would have bet it wouldn't have worked but it did!! So yes, Seafoam is some good stuff!!

Last edited: