Sad day for my FZ6 :(

ChurchWVU

Reaction score
Visit site
Soooo...
I was riding to class today, and the guy in front of me decided to got from 35 mph to 0 mph with no blinker. It was either run directly into the back of his car and fly down the hill, or lay it down and pray. So I laid it down. I'm good, but the bike has seen better days. Pics follow.

I might go naked now, and the side pod looks ok, but my engine looks bad. How would you all suggest fixing it? And my side stand is bent. I'm still riding it to class in the morning.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you ok? Bad news for your bike.

Maybe you were a little too close to him. You gotta give yourself room. Saying that, as soon as you leave a gap, some idiot usually pushes in :spank:

Going naked is a great idea. Maybe buy a carbon fiber engine cover. Lots on Ebay. Someone was even selling a stand on the forum a week or so ago.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are ok. Bike doesn't look too bad. Aside from the naked conversion, it doesn't look like you'll have to shell out too much to fix out...

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S INFUSE using Tapatalk

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
All that matters is that you are ok, bro. Bike is fine, just some cosmetic damage. As other stated above, maybe a good time to do a streetfighter conversion?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, this could have been avoided.

As mentioned, probably following too close. Whether or not what your following distance was, don't forget that swerving is an option. I can't understand why riders "Have" to lay it down, just swerve. Also following the vehicle partialy off set, meaining favoring to either the very right or left portion of your lane, rather than riding right in the middle will also make it easier to swerve, including increasing your visiblity beyond the vehicle that you are following.

Natural reaction for most riders is to grab a handful of brakes whenever a hazard suddenly ppears directly in front of them. This is why that everyone must practice swerving as well as quick stops on a regular basis so when the time comes, you do the right thing.

Unfortunately at your expense, it's a great reminder for all of us, including myself to work on our following distance.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
When I dropped my bike I fixed the engine case with a Black Sharpie marker, but I think yours may be just a little too damaged for that repair :(:(

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear your ok.

Hit that cover with some high temp black paint till you can afford and have time to replace it. The rest are just scratches, adds some character to your bike.

Before you fix anything buy and install some frame sliders if you don't already have them.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
If the stator cover isn't leaking oil, then I personally wouldn't worry about it at all until you can buy a new one. $80 or so if I remember right. If the side stand will still hold the bike then I wouldn't worry about it either. A propane torch and some elbow grease will bend it back into shape too. Just go slow and use plenty of heat. And repaint it when you're done.

But honestly it looks better than I did when I grabbed a handful of brake mid-turn because of this hummer that cut me off and nearly hit me. Who (in America) makes a right hand turn onto a 6 lane (divided) road into the fast lane? Right in front of a cop! Apparently that douchebag.

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
80dollar frame sliders and your bike may have been not that bad, at least the stator cover...glad your alright- i hate the ppl that don't signal,
PM me we are close (somewhat) maybe we can meet up for a ride

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
My stator cover was also all scuffed up from the previous owner and i sanded it down with a die grinder (600 grit) then went to a buffing pad to smooth it out then painted with duplacolor engine enamel. But i have the silver frame. You could look on ebay for a new stator cover or do the same, just find a high temp paint that would closely match your bikes color

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

ChurchWVU

Reaction score
Visit site
I probably was a bit close, and should have expected that someone might turn. Also should have swerved around him and sped up to get out of the opposing lane of traffic, but none of that happened at the time.

Thanks for the tips on the stator cover. Will probably just order a new one, and get a new headlight. For now I'm sanding down and buffing the scratches to finish out the season.