Rock The Gear or Skinned Alive!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting this. My wife gave me my first bike three and a half years ago. While searching the web for gear I ran across her story and it made a huge impact on me as to the importance of good gear. I spend many weekends at the track photographing racing events and have seen many riders go down and understood the importance of good gear. However she makes such a powerful statement with her story. It took what I already knew and drove it deep into my brain.

May thanks for posting, I am going to pass it on to all my riding buddies.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is one brave awesome lady
Every rider should see this

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I gear up pretty good when i am going out to ride "hard". Though after seeing this video, I going to upgrade my what I wear when I am going out to riding casually.

ilinimud

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, this is a pretty powerful message. How much less do you think she would have been injured in full gear? I mean at 125mph wouldnt there still be a lot of damage? I struggle with gearing up completely in the summer. Its freaking hot out there, this story will help though.

Esra

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems her only injuries are from the slide, a set of leathers would probably have meant no gravel rash at all.

Still would have broken her finger maybe, but still a lot less to worry about.

grocery thrower

Beer Head
Reaction score
Visit site
Very powerful! Best to Brittiny!

I work for Sysco Foods, I wear shorts and a t-shirt to work, thats what I ride in, with my helmet, I'm never without that, even if I ride a mile to the store, my life was saved by a helmet many years ago.

Reading her story, my outlook has changed, I am going to gear up, and I'm not riding again till I do, thinking of what she went through really bothers me, anything can happen, there are alot of deer on a certian road I ride on to work, imagine hitting one of them...I already wear boots and gloves just gotta get pants and a jacket.

Today it was 107 degrees here in Tulsa OK, the humidity was awful, best to be geared up though! Harley dudes can take the pain..not me!

Reaction score
www.remispowersystems.com
Thanks for sharing! I was in a 60mph accident as a passenger 18 years ago and luckily survived without a single scar...no gear, no helmet, nothing. Hit a grass ditch and slid. 6 months of therapy on my shoulder that came out of joint. I don't ride as a passenger anymore. I had my license at the time of the accident but didn't have my own bike. Now I do, and I only ride with gear. I couldn't imagine riding "naked" again...

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had two big accidents. Impact not sliding was the issue. full face Head bucket saved face from a center divider at 40MPH impact

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Wear the gear. You can control a lot of things while riding, but not all things. A local very well know and long time biker went down last week, forced off the road by a cager making an illegal pass. He wasn't wearing gear, and paid a huge price - extensive major road rash and a compoung fracture to his arm. He has my every sympathy, but it it could have been so much less severe.

:(

brucey

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Nicholas, I wear "Draggin Jeans" they have kevlar and dyneema material built into the knee and seat area. The only down side to these jeans is that they have no armor, so I also wear a pair of "Fox" Knee pads underneth. I'll tell you what: google "draggin Jeans" these pants are expensive but sometimes you can find them on sale, this is the right time of year to find gear on sale.

Smith3135

Reaction score
www.equipmentsdealer.com
good find
I have followed Brittany for a long time, I came across her story on one of these forums, and she practices what she preaches....
I kept thinking she was gonna pop a wheelie there when she got her bike on the road...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty good stuff. I finally go the nerve to watch it after all of these months. I've got a weak stomach after the wars so I can't watch banged up people. Regardless this was good. I'm glad she;s ok.

Years ago, like 1983 or so. I stuffed my Yamaha TX500 under an I beam of a bumper in a Dogde Dart. My forearm oozed "goo" for two decades.

Wear your gear!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
...who the F#$% does 120 with a passenger?
thats just stupid

i gotta admit, i only wear my armored pants when im planning on riding anywhere other then my commute to work which is 1.6 miles thru a school zone and then the posted is 45mph...still got my joe rocket jacket tho:rolleyes:

D

Dave.TX

Great story, great woman. I am only missing riding pants too. I do have knee/shin guards that I wear under my jeans... any little bit helps. They're also great when it gets cold as they deflect the wind. Now that I have two jackets, they're both 3 season jackets just one is good in summer and the other in winter, I will start looking into getting leather gear. After I get pants, of course. Can't ride without pants...

Way to go, Brittany! You rock!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
...who the F#$% does 120 with a passenger?
thats just stupid

i gotta admit, i only wear my armored pants when im planning on riding anywhere other then my commute to work which is 1.6 miles thru a school zone and then the posted is 45mph...still got my joe rocket jacket tho:rolleyes:

That's the point, passengers in general don't don't know any better and find themselves on the back of the bike. It's up to the operator or you to make sure they are fully geared. Now if the operator don't gear up properly themselves, it leaves the passengers at risk. It's to educate people. She learned the hardway.

Most crashes will occur within 5-10 minutes from where you live or work. 1.6 miles or 45 mph is still enough to get you serisouly hurt or killed.

Dress for the crash, not the ride.