Riding is fun BUT Thumb hurts!!! just me or ..

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my left hand. Especially after a longer period of driving in downtown where I need to use the clutch often. I've noticed that I tend to lean on my thumbs (and not so much on my palms) and I use the clutch by tensing my thumb too and pulling against it. (Hard to explain...)

On my bike the clutch is quite stiff and repeatingly using it causes my fingers and hand to get tired. And after getting tired, my hand starts aching. I don't know, maybe the clutch cable should be lubed and I could also try to rotate the lever a bit upwards.

This reminded of another thing I want to add...
I ve been squeezing my knees tighter on the tank... leaning into my knees takes some pressure off my hands... Ive been dying to pick up side grips for my tank... Also helps me keep my pelvis right

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my left hand. Especially after a longer period of driving in downtown where I need to use the clutch often. I've noticed that I tend to lean on my thumbs (and not so much on my palms) and I use the clutch by tensing my thumb too and pulling against it. (Hard to explain...)

On my bike the clutch is quite stiff and repeatingly using it causes my fingers and hand to get tired. And after getting tired, my hand starts aching. I don't know, maybe the clutch cable should be lubed and I could also try to rotate the lever a bit upwards.

You sound very much like me!!! Same problem ..after coming back from my "pleasure groups rides" ..my thumb joints ache so much..
As many pointed out..I will be changing my gloves to start with and then..increase the dia of the bar and see if this helps if not..GOD be with me:(

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I may have missed it but I didn't see anybody mentioning the bar risers. I also had issues with my hands in the early days with my FZ. I tried a number of different things and one of them that seemed to help me was a set of 1" up & back bar risers. I'm not a lean forward face on the tank rider but being able to sit up a little straighter helped me. I'm sure better physical conditioning would help even more but it's harder to buy :D

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
this is what I was thinking also.....I figured it out when I got my pazzo's

oh yeah happy b-day mine was yesterday too :thumbup:

Happy Birthday guys! 3 of us on the same day :thumbup:

Can't help ya with the thumb problem....I put gel grips on mine the day I got it, never had an issue

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Reminds me of the guy who went to the doctor and complained because his whole body hurt "Everytime I touch any part of my body it hurts " he told the doctor.The doctor had a quick look and said "Son,that's because your finger is broken " :D

djsegura

Reaction score
Visit site
Its not my thumb that hurts it is my face I think it is because I cant take the grin off my face when riding.:):):):):):)
But I am also going to give some new grips a try

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What about a "Throttle Rocker" type af thing? It lets you use the palm of your hand to hold the throttle open so you dont have to squeeze the grip so tight, I like mine, especially when on trips. Do bolth thumbs hurt or just your right?

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
Do bolth thumbs hurt or just your right?

Both thumb joints unfortunately. But today when I was riding I started consciously observing/thinking what could be the reason....changing my gloves to a bigger and comfortable ones look to be something I should be doing right away. I will try the grip puppies too soon. I always wanted them...

Thanks a million to everyone..I didnt think I would get so many ppl to answer/help me...I really appreciate everyone for ur time ..
KB

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
A related question for those of you who have had several different bikes. Do you think the throttle return spring on the FZ is "stiffer" than on other bikes? When I first got the bike my right hand got tired really quickly and I felt the amount of torque you need to use on the throttle was part of the problem. Over time I got used to it but, I was just wondering...

B

bluenova

A related question for those of you who have had several different bikes. Do you think the throttle return spring on the FZ is "stiffer" than on other bikes? When I first got the bike my right hand got tired really quickly and I felt the amount of torque you need to use on the throttle was part of the problem. Over time I got used to it but, I was just wondering...

Yes, it's stiffer than my SV650 was. It felt better after I got grippyer gloves.

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com

It feels about the same as my BMW, but it is stiffer than the throttle was on the V-Star I had years ago. I use a Throttle Rocker on all my bikes. http://www.throttlerocker.com/

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I had exactly the same problem and asked the exact same question when I switched to the Fazer. All I can say is that your hand will 'mold' to the shape of the bars and grips and they won't hurt anymore. It just takes time for both of you to get to know each other.

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem and asked the exact same question when I switched to the Fazer. All I can say is that your hand will 'mold' to the shape of the bars and grips and they won't hurt anymore. It just takes time for both of you to get to know each other.

I really hope ur words come true..installing extra grips and changing the gloves for now seems to be worth trying...thanks for ur thoughts..

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I might suggest moving the bars down a bit. Most likely you are resting the thumb joints on the bars while you are riding. If you angle the bars down more you should find a position where more of your palm is taking the pressure, or the outside of your palm where its more fleshy. The only muscle in your hand is the one that gives you an opposible grip, and if its pressing on the handlebar for time is willl start to hurt and cramp like any other muscle.