Riding is fun BUT Thumb hurts!!! just me or ..

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I bought my FZ6 abt a month ago. I have put around 1k miles on it. I cant be more happier than I am when it comes the pleasure I get from riding it in the beautiful roads of Cali.

Unfortunately...for some reason after every ride I get this unbearable pain in the thumb joints on my both hands. Its something I have been unable to figure out as to what could this be the reason:confused: I always thought that with the more upright riding position of the FZ6, "strained wrist" problem was never an issue. Infact I think my wrists are fine. Its just my thumb joints. This pain is really killing me:(

Only the hunger to ride my FZ6 is pushing me to still get on the saddle even though I know its gonna hurt later:(

For the record I definitely have no "joint conditions". I am 27(yesterday was my bday!!!:thumbup: I am not a big man either! I am 6ft 2inches and weigh 170lbs..just incase it counts..

This is my first 600cc motorcycle. I used to ride 250cc and less before for abt 10 yrs. I never had this problem before.

I just have a feeling may be if I put up some extra thick grips and increase the dia of the handle bars, it would help me relax my palm(maybe)

I need your inputs and any advise/suggestions which would help me enjoy the ride than think abt the pain I have to go through later.

Thanks in advance.
KB

FZ6 Tas

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a guess but you are probably really squeezing the grips quite hard. Like I said just a guess. Try and relax if you can, it's hard to relax when you are having this much fun though.

B

bluenova

Just a guess but you are probably really squeezing the grips quite hard. Like I said just a guess. Try and relax if you can, it's hard to relax when you are having this much fun though.

+1, try to hold the handlebar like a control, use your legs to grip. If you are already doing that then maybe it's vibrations, the FZ6 is a bit buzzy, in which case thinker gel grips might help.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I get the same thing every time I break in a new pair of gloves ....

I speculate that it happens due to the fact that new gloves are always extra tight the first 14 days or so, - before the become stretched in the right places to fit the hand.

So if you are wearing brand new gloves, - this might be it, - and then it is just a question of hanging in there until you have the glowes broken in.

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
I get the same in my right thumb, first I thought it was my track ball mouse at work so I changed it. It still hurts from time to time but usually when removing my gloves. I've also installed a set of foam grips that seem to help. I just thought it was old age (51) or my death grip which I have been trying to work on :D

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Try rotating the lever mounts upwards a bit, it sounds like you're supporting your upper body weight on your thumb joints rather than your palms, so by raising the levers slightly your wrist will be angled upwards more and your weight will rest on your palm.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Try rotating the lever mounts upwards a bit, it sounds like you're supporting your upper body weight on your thumb joints rather than your palms, so by raising the levers slightly your wrist will be angled upwards more and your weight will rest on your palm.

this is what I was thinking also.....I figured it out when I got my pazzo's

oh yeah happy b-day mine was yesterday too :thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know for sure about the thumbs as I've never had it happen to me. The new glove theory and lever position sound like likely suspects to me.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KB and madmanmaigret :cheer::cheer::cheer:

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
AHHH!!!

So I presented on this for one of my classes...
OK quick explanantion... Im an occupational therapy student... no we dont help people find jobs, but one of the things we do is help people prevent Repetitve stress injuries, like carpal tunnel. That said, there are 54 people in my program, 3 of us are dudes... with that most of what we cover is somewhat girlie and if someone crochets an airplane sweater they all get excited.... sorry ladies its been two years

OK... so I had the same issue when I first rode the FZ. I broke down my positioning and noticed two things versus other bikes I rode in the past
1. The grips are aftermarket and very narrow
2. Riding position is a lot more aggressive and my pelvis position is causing me to position my spine in a pattern that brings my shoulders into elevation, which makes me extend my wrists and lean into my thumbs...

Solution...
(works for me at 5'10" 220 lbs... might be different for others)

Gloves... I got new ones with a built up gel insert... opens up my hands not allowing my wrists to extend as much and providing stretch to my intrinsic hand muscles.

Positioning... this took a week or two of concious correction. You lower back extensors go from your butt to the bottom of your ribs... tense them by bringing almost doing a bridge but while sitting... then push yoru chest out like yourre a rooster. Your shoulders should drop... when your back muscles get stronger this becomes a lot more functional... I also find this position lets me steer form my hips into tight turns getting my leans a lot tighter and more stable...

After I get off my bike I feel better and my sitting posture has been straighter... ALso, burning a little backfat...

Sorry if I just geeked out and wrote too much... riding correctly now will keep you all out of my office in 20 years

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site

I have experienced this on other bikes as well but fortunately not on the FZ yet - though I haven't ridden it too far so time will tell.

AHHH!!!

OK quick explanantion... Im an occupational therapy student... no we dont help people find jobs, but one of the things we do is help people prevent Repetitve stress injuries, like carpal tunnel. That said, there are 54 people in my program, 3 of us are dudes... with that most of what we cover is somewhat girlie and if someone crochets an airplane sweater they all get excited.... sorry ladies its been two years

OK... so I had the same issue when I first rode the FZ. I broke down my positioning and noticed two things versus other bikes I rode in the past
2. Riding position is a lot more aggressive and my pelvis position is causing me to position my spine in a pattern that brings my shoulders into elevation, which makes me extend my wrists and lean into my thumbs...

Solution...

Gloves... I got new ones with a built up gel insert... opens up my hands not allowing my wrists to extend as much and providing stretch to my intrinsic hand muscles.

Positioning... this took a week or two of concious correction. You lower back extensors go from your butt to the bottom of your ribs... tense them by bringing almost doing a bridge but while sitting... then push yoru chest out like yourre a rooster. Your shoulders should drop... when your back muscles get stronger this becomes a lot more functional... I also find this position lets me steer form my hips into tight turns getting my leans a lot tighter and more stable...

After I get off my bike I feel better and my sitting posture has been straighter... ALso, burning a little backfat...

Sorry if I just geeked out and wrote too much... riding correctly now will keep you all out of my office in 20 years

My mom used to say "sit up straight and put your shoulders back!" It still resounds in my mind to this day.........but of course she was right. Good posture is everything. And yes, I am now sitting up straight at work! Thanks for sharing.

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site

Initially the few day I guessed the same..but that wasnt the case..I usually have relaxed grips..

Last edited:

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
I get the same thing every time I break in a new pair of gloves ....

I speculate that it happens due to the fact that new gloves are always extra tight the first 14 days or so, - before the become stretched in the right places to fit the hand.

So if you are wearing brand new gloves, - this might be it, - and then it is just a question of hanging in there until you have the glowes broken in.

Wow....interesting!!!!...Actually my gloves are already "broken in" but...then they r a just a tab tighter than I would have liked..I never thought abt this...maybe I will buy a new set of gloves of a bigger size and see if it helps..thanks a lot for the thought:)
Its worth buying news ones even to just try..as of now...bcoz I really need to get rid of this pain...

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site

May be by an Inch max? ? I will definitely try this.....
THanks
KB

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
AHHH!!!

Solution...

This was very informative...thanks for taking time to punch in ...but this will take a little time to sink in..I will try perfecting my riding posture..
Thanks once again
KB

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my left hand. Especially after a longer period of driving in downtown where I need to use the clutch often. I've noticed that I tend to lean on my thumbs (and not so much on my palms) and I use the clutch by tensing my thumb too and pulling against it. (Hard to explain...)

On my bike the clutch is quite stiff and repeatingly using it causes my fingers and hand to get tired. And after getting tired, my hand starts aching. I don't know, maybe the clutch cable should be lubed and I could also try to rotate the lever a bit upwards.