(Resolved) Abnormal wear of rear brake hanger. What have I done? Help!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Abnormal wear of rear brake hanger. What have I done? Help!

They say wine IS healthy, after enough of it....well, the beauty is irrelevant:BLAA:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I need some TLC
healthandbeauty.jpg

Cheers Neil

However - I think the Bike is 3 and we're all 4's. . . .
View attachment 43512

Those pictures didn't help so I'm at loss. . . . You're bike has the same spacers both left and right? hmmm. . . .

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

However - I think the Bike is 3 and we're all 4's. . . .
View attachment 43512

Those pictures didn't help so I'm at loss. . . . You're bike has the same spacers both left and right? hmmm. . . .
I am going to go on flee bay and see if I can get a new wheel.
The best thing I have learned by doing all this is that I can pull the rear wheel in about 5 minutes.
Nelly

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

It's past time - knock the RS bearing and and CLEAN that whole assembly so you it's spotless. . . . We want to see everything specificially if the groove for the snap ring / c-clip is some how opened up, widened, etc. . .

In another thread you said you had the bearings out. I never saw mention of that here. Please CLEAN IT so you're not afraid to lay medical instruments on it and use them on someone!!!! :BLAA:

THe right side bearing locates the wheel in position. The area the bearing resides must be inspected to INSURE the bearing has no where to move to along its axis.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I have used over sized sockets before for popping out bearings.They work great.
I inspected C-Clip yesterday I didn't take pictures because I was so frustrated getting the bar steward out. I would give my left teste for a pair of C-Clip pliers.
I am not going to remove the bearing as the manual states don't remove it unless it requires replacement.
There is no lateral fee play in this bearing and it turns freely without grinding. All cleaned up as requested.
Shagged the oil seal getting it out. I seriously don't think this is a bearing issue.
Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Guys I'm in the ****e, I will not be able to get an oil seal for 4 weeks according to the guy I get my spares from. Would one of you be able to order me a couple and I will pay-pal in advance?
Part # 3

Neil

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Neil,
I haven't left ya, just thinking. . .

So from this we can all see that if you set the spacer in there and fitted the caliper holder to it, that the location of that bearing establishes the placement of the caliper holder. . .

What are the facts? Please correct anything that is wrong.

Original wheel and hub spacers
Original wheel bearings (if not, are they the correct width?)
Original caliper holder / replacement fits the same

Has it been to the shop where THEY worked on the wheel hub area? Could they have accidently swapped hub spacers?

Please for clarity; what side of the caliper holder is hitting the disk? The inner or the outer edge?

What parts have been changed out EVER in its life in the rear and how long ago?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Neil,

What are the facts?.

Original wheel and hub spacers
Original wheel bearings (if not, are they the correct width?)
Original caliper holder / replacement fits the same

Bike has not been to the shop since 2008 for cam chain diagnostics. I do all the work myself.
To my Knowledge all parts are original
The rub is on the outside edge of the hanger.
WHEELASSEYOFFBIKE.jpg

Cheers Mate
Neil

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site

slightly obvious, but there's no crap on the swingarm pushing it in is there?

have you checked if the hanger is bent slightly?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

slightly obvious, but there's no crap on the swingarm pushing it in is there?

have you checked if the hanger is bent slightly?
Swing arm guide is clean as a whistle, It appears straight and level.
Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

If everything is as it should be, the only thing left is that hanger is slightly bent inwards.

The replacement hanger wasn't nearly as bad as the original, correct?

It be nice if you knew someone down there you could swap some parts with momentarily to check things...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

If everything is as it should be, the only thing left is that hanger is slightly bent inwards.

The replacement hanger wasn't nearly as bad as the original, correct?

It be nice if you knew someone down there you could swap some parts with momentarily to check things...
Replacement hanger was also rubbing,It would have worn away like the original. I didn't install it as there was no point having two damaged hangers.
I need to check swing arm alignment & tolerances. I am working on night shift for 3 nights and will not get the opportunity to work on it again until next week.
Need the wheels for work.
Thanks guts for all your help and suffering with me.
Neil

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Bike has not been to the shop since 2008 for cam chain diagnostics. I do all the work myself.
To my Knowledge all parts are original
The rub is on the outside edge of the hanger.
WHEELASSEYOFFBIKE.jpg

Cheers Mate
Neil

OK so we still haven't seen the answer which is potentially behind the bearing.

If the inner dwelling where the RS bearing is seated is worn down//crushed//displaced//hogged out//damaged (I KNOW THERE IS NO REASON for ANY of THIS) but if that bearing is IN further than its supposed to be it explains all of this.

Picture this: lets say the bearing is 20mm wide. It should reside in a machined hole no wider than 20.001mm. That keeper is part of the machined hole creating the space for the bearing.. But we can't see behind there bearing and if it somehow tore up that area allowing the bearing to move inward we have this issue.

1) brake hanger at inner surface next to bearing is not worn down.
2) spacer is not worn down (less thickness than it was originally).
3) disc mount did not move OUT somehow
4) RS bearing didn't get narrow (less thickness than it was originally) DID YOU SAY YOU REPLACED IT ONCE? COULD IT BE THE WRONG BEARING?????????
* What's left - the bearing had to move inwards.

Point; there can be NO, NONE, ZERO gap for the bearing between the Snap ring. REMOVE THE SNAP RING AND FIND SOMETHING that is the same outside DIAMETER as the BEARING and TAP it INWARDS. IF THIS creates a GAP between the INSTALLED SNAP RING, the WHEEL is bad and needs replaced OR it has the WRONG BEARING INSTALLED!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Replacement hanger was also rubbing,It would have worn away like the original. I didn't install it as there was no point having two damaged hangers.
I need to check swing arm alignment & tolerances. I am working on night shift for 3 nights and will not get the opportunity to work on it again until next week.
Need the wheels for work.
Thanks guts for all your help and suffering with me.
Neil

It really has nothing to do with the SWING ARM. See above post!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Guys I'm in the ****e, I will not be able to get an oil seal for 4 weeks according to the guy I get my spares from. Would one of you be able to order me a couple and I will pay-pal in advance?
Part # 3

Neil

FWIW: its a dust seal - stay out of the swamp and rain and it be fine for a few days w/out it!

Has the RS bearing ever been replaced? My final card is that bearing was replaced and its NOT the correct thickness. When torqued to spec it moves in.

The fact is we are trying to figure out where 1/3 the thickness of the ROTOR went Rotor = 5mm. . . less than half of that dissipeired! <spelling sucks

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

FWIW: its a dust seal - stay out of the swamp and rain and it be fine for a few days

Ha ha, I live in Ireland mate, we are having the wettest summer on record.

I have never replaced the bearings on the bike, I have changed bearings on previous bikes.
When the two inner sleeves are installed behind the bearing there is no slippage.
The bearing sits pretty flush to the C-clip so from this side it appears seated correctly.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

If you look at the picture in post #73, the front of the hanger is what's rubbing, the rear, (back just a couple of inches) HAS SPACE AND ISN'T RUBBING.

Either both hangers are bent (very not likely), or where the hanger sits inbetween (swingarm and the RS bearing) something is ****eyed. I posted the clearances a couple of posts back but it should be pretty much centered.

I seriously doubt the swing arm is bent.

I'm wondering the questionable RS bearing NOT SITTING SQUARE causing the hanger to crook once tightened up.

Could the spacer in the middle of the wheel have fallen out/down-(I don't know if there's even enough room to do that). If that happened, the hanger would pull in farther than it should, but its only pulled in at the front, not the rear..

I'm also assuming the hanger moves freely forward and backward when seated in the swingarm? I just put my rear wheel back on this am (new tire) and it is difficult to see in there to make sure everything is where it should be (I've had the wheel off many times but am now very aware when assembling in this area. Mine went together fine, no problems, equal space to the rotor as well)...

Could the rear wheel be kocked really hard to the right (adjuster broke?) causing the front of the rotor to be more to the right (and thus rub)?????

Just some things to look at Neil when you attack it again...

Its probably better getting away for a couple of days from it to clear your head anyway...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

If you look at the picture in post #73, the front of the hanger is what's rubbing, the rear, (back just a couple of inches) HAS SPACE AND ISN'T RUBBING.

Either both hangers are bent (very not likely), or where the hanger sits inbetween (swingarm and the RS bearing) something is ****eyed. I posted the clearances a couple of posts back but it should be pretty much centered.

I seriously doubt the swing arm is bent.

I'm wondering the questionable RS bearing NOT SITTING SQUARE causing the hanger to crook once tightened up.

Could the spacer in the middle of the wheel have fallen out/down-(I don't know if there's even enough room to do that). If that happened, the hanger would pull in farther than it should, but its only pulled in at the front, not the rear..

I'm also assuming the hanger moves freely forward and backward when seated in the swingarm? I just put my rear wheel back on this am (new tire) and it is difficult to see in there to make sure everything is where it should be (I've had the wheel off many times but am now very aware when assembling in this area. Mine went together fine, no problems, equal space to the rotor as well)...

Could the rear wheel be kocked really hard to the right (adjuster broke?) causing the front of the rotor to be more to the right (and thus rub)?????

Just some things to look at Neil when you attack it again...

Its probably better getting away for a couple of days from it to clear your head anyway...

I sent you an email. . .