(Resolved) Abnormal wear of rear brake hanger. What have I done? Help!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Abnormal wear of rear brake hanger. What have I done? Help!

Scott,
Did you measure this?
Is the Blue arrow distance the same from the rotors edge on both the front and back (like the blue arrows).

If so, could we have Neil measure the distance from the axle area on a flat surface (like the black line) to each of the areas shown by the black arrows? Neil, for this, you would need to clamp the hanger to a flat surface and measure to the two points like the black arrows shown here. This would tell us if the hanger is is bent.

picture.php

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I got a bit fed up with it and took the wheel into a shop to have the bearings checked. No issues found with the bearings or the wheel, so back to square one.
I can measure those when I get a chance. I would be interested to know what the gap is between the hanger guide and the inside of the swing arm.
Can you post a picture without the black line?
Neil

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Scott,
Did you measure this?
Is the Blue arrow distance the same from the rotors edge on both the front and back (like the blue arrows).

If so, could we have Neil measure the distance from the axle area on a flat surface (like the black line) to each of the areas shown by the black arrows? Neil, for this, you would need to clamp the hanger to a flat surface and measure to the two points like the black arrows shown here. This would tell us if the hanger is is bent.

picture.php

See pic's and spec's in post #28, page 3, I measured off my bike with the caliper off..

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks Scott,

I have just been out and it's dark and peeing down. I took a couple of pictures from the underside of the hanger. I haven't looked at it from this angle before.

You can see that the hanger sits on the guide with about a 2mm gap from the disk. So with this new info in mind, it looks like the hanger is tilted a few degrees which is why the disk is rubbing at the top of the hanger.

Neil

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I can measure those when I get a chance. I would be interested to know what the gap is between the hanger guide and the inside of the swing arm.
Can you post a picture without the black line?
Neil

Does that make sense to clamp the hanger to a flat surface at the axle area and measure to the areas pointed out in the black lines? Just pretend black line is the flat surface.
picture.php

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Does that make sense to clamp the hanger to a flat surface at the axle area and measure to the areas pointed out in the black lines? Just pretend black line is the flat surface.
picture.php
Yep it makes sense, I will do it the next time I have a few days off. I don't have a vice/clamp so will have to find someone who does.

Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

So I am a bit fed up. I had ordered a new chain and sprockets from a new shop in the nearest town to me.
I was going to drop down a tooth in the rear and also asked to have the alignment checked just to ensure I was working from the correct base line.
Anyway, took time off and as arranged dropped the bike in. Guy not there, chain not there. He was in Dublin getting it. Ok no worries arranged for following day.
Turned up, Guy not there, chain not there. Told that I would be called in the afternoon to have the chain swap carried out while I waited.
Spoke to him at 14.00 not able to do the job yet. He said he would call me at 1500.
No call came.
Now I will be buggered if I am going to spend €200 euro for this very poor service. I opted for the shop doing the work because I didn't have time to spend due to work etc. Now I have wasted three days.
I will do the work myself now, I need to source a decent chain and sprocket set.
I would prefer DID but I'm open to advice on a quality item.
As for the hanger issue, it's still there but isn't interfering with rear wheel or brake operation. As stated previously until I find a vice I cannot measure the hanger. Having said that though, the replacement hanger sits the same as the original so I don’t think the measurements will shed any new light on the issue.
TBC
Neil:thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

So I am a bit fed up. I had ordered a new chain and sprockets from a new shop in the nearest town to me.
I was going to drop down a tooth in the rear and also asked to have the alignment checked just to ensure I was working from the correct base line.
Anyway, took time off and as arranged dropped the bike in. Guy not there, chain not there. He was in Dublin getting it. Ok no worries arranged for following day.
Turned up, Guy not there, chain not there. Told that I would be called in the afternoon to have the chain swap carried out while I waited.
Spoke to him at 14.00 not able to do the job yet. He said he would call me at 1500.
No call came.
Now I will be buggered if I am going to spend €200 euro for this very poor service. I opted for the shop doing the work because I didn't have time to spend due to work etc. Now I have wasted three days.
I will do the work myself now, I need to source a decent chain and sprocket set.
I would prefer DID but I'm open to advice on a quality item.
As for the hanger issue, it's still there but isn't interfering with rear wheel or brake operation. As stated previously until I find a vice I cannot measure the hanger. Having said that though, the replacement hanger sits the same as the original so I don’t think the measurements will shed any new light on the issue.
TBC
Neil:thumbup:

Neil, thats too bad all that went down so badly. . . this :Flip: goes to them!

All you need to clamp the thing is C-Clamp or some basic Quick Grip clamps. Even at that, I suspect you could hold it by hand. I'm not sure how two would get bent but something seems off.

45193-01-200.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Neil, thats too bad all that went down so badly. . . this :Flip: goes to them!

All you need to clamp the thing is C-Clamp or some basic Quick Grip clamps. Even at that, I suspect you could hold it by hand. I'm not sure how two would get bent but something seems off.

45193-01-200.jpg
I will look into those, I was thinking along the lines of a vice.

Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Maybe a third person from the "outside" will spot something out of line/order, etc....If possible I'd ask for the head, master mechanic to look at it..

Worse case resort, something to think about, being you have an 05, would it be worthwhile to find a 07 and up bike, getting parted out, and pick up a newer style swing arm, brake calibre bracket, perhaps another rear wheel?

Somethings screwy there, replacing damn near everything associated with the issue should solve the problem.. Expensive but it'd be fixed..

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Maybe a third person from the "outside" will spot something out of line/order, etc....If possible I'd ask for the head, master mechanic to look at it..

Worse case resort, something to think about, being you have an 05, would it be worthwhile to find a 07 and up bike, getting parted out, and pick up a newer style swing arm, brake calibre bracket, perhaps another rear wheel?

Somethings screwy there, replacing damn near everything associated with the issue should solve the problem.. Expensive but it'd be fixed..
I would really like to do the S2 swing arm conversion but I need focus money else where at the moment.
Sod it I will trade it and get an S2 lol [in my dreams].
Cheers Fellas
Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So update,
I was waiting until my new chain and sprockets arrived before I stripped it all down and measured things again.
New chain and sprockets did arrive to Ireland, sadly not to me. The courier was unable to locate my house. So instead of dropping the gear at the local post office ( which would have been passed twice ) they shipped them back to the UK.
So they are now being sent to my work address. This will be another 3 weeks waiting.
I took out my hand held angle grinder and gave the hanger a bit of a skim to get rid of the rubbing. Obviously not recommend etc, but by dam it has worked, no more rubbing.
My chain is now past the maximum adjustment so those bits better arrive soon.
Cheers
Neil
naneju9e.jpg

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Well that sucks! So the axle has been pulled all the way back to the end of the S/Arm? Is that by chance part of the issue. I know it shouldn 't be but. . .

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well that sucks! So the axle has been pulled all the way back to the end of the S/Arm? Is that by chance part of the issue. I know it shouldn 't be but. . .
Chain is way back in the stops. One thing that has been bothering me about the chain adjusters is this.
Both are the same length, yet throughout various adjustments the length of thread exposed on one side is often different to the other side. Why is this?
Logic would suggest that if the threads exposed on each side are the same in number the wheel must be straight? Or something like that..........
Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Chain is way back in the stops. One thing that has been bothering me about the chain adjusters is this.
Both are the same length, yet throughout various adjustments the length of thread exposed on one side is often different to the other side. Why is this?
Logic would suggest that if the threads exposed on each side are the same in number the wheel must be straight? Or something like that..........
Neil

You would think they'd be the same lenth... For S & G's, maybe pull them out and put them next to each other and check the lenths... Even if the adjusters were set OFF from each other say 1/4", the brake hanger would still sit flat on the wheel bearings and this the rear disc as well...

In either case, good idea, the slight grinding got the hanger off the disc. I would just check/ keep and eye on the rear pads in order to make sure their riding as close as possible parellel (as they should be) to the disc (or you'll have some minor differences in the pad wear pattern...

Please post when possible about the adjuster lenth(s) and how the new chain sprockets go once installed...

And congrates, good idea/fix for a very odd problem!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You would think they'd be the same lenth... For S & G's, maybe pull them out and put them next to each other and check the lenths... Even if the adjusters were set OFF from each other say 1/4", the brake hanger would still sit flat on the wheel bearings and this the rear disc as well...

In either case, good idea, the slight grinding got the hanger off the disc. I would just check/ keep and eye on the rear pads in order to make sure their riding as close as possible parellel (as they should be) to the disc (or you'll have some minor differences in the pad wear pattern...

Please post when possible about the adjuster lenth(s) and how the new chain sprockets go once installed...

And congrates, good idea/fix for a very odd problem!
I have taken both adjusters out before and cleaned them. Side by side both were exactly the same length
ADJUSTERS-1.jpg

So would I be right in saying that if I counted the number of threads exposed the chain should be aligned?
Also I need rear pads now as the rub has really accelerated the wear. I haven't changed my front pads since ownership 2007. I have gone through two sets of rear pads.
Today I ordered a digital micro meter and a volt meter (which I will need tons of help to use correctly). Anyway back to the original inquiry regarding thread length.
Will let you know when the chain arrives.
Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Short of obtaining another rotor, IMHO, I would take a flat, really fine, sharp(new) steel file, have a friend rotate the rear wheel and put the file on the rotor.

It'll knock off any sharp/high spots and can only help smooth out the disc and prolong the pads...

You'd think the same # of threads would be same as the notches on the swingarm but if I had to choose between one or the other, I'd use the notches. I say this only because if the thread on one adjuster, when built, is spun a half turn, counting threads, your off a half turn.. The chain alignment string method is suppossed to work well however I've never done it, nor needed it (chain tracks fine)..

The voltmeter, as in checking charging, is a piece of cake... It tells alot about the bike and the health of its charging sytem and battery as well.. There's a bunch of threads on how to use it, etc. It helps if you have an electrical outlet/SAE connector, etc you can connect directly to instead of pulling the tank up to access the battery..

Back to the now chain thread!!!:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess what arrived today and I helped to install?
5egugavy.jpg

Finally got the chain and sprocket set. I have halfway installed them. I need to read up on how to use the link installation clampy thing.
It's amazing how much crap gets caught up in the front sprocket housing
a9upahud.jpg

I cleaned it with kerosene
guvy8egu.jpg
which was well worth doing. Plus I had some help
unyjazer.jpg
5avuje5u.jpg
I won't get to finish the job until Sunday as It's my daughters birthday tomorrow. I will tighten it all up and see what occurs with the hanger alignment. I thought that my sprockets weren't to bad until I compared them with the new ones. The teeth have lost a good proportion of their width and were starting to hook.
Neil
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Cool lil helper!!!! Teach him right!!

BTW, watch the two wires that run down behind the LS cover, their real easy to get pinched inbetween the sprocket cover and the block...