Replacing the generator cover

crazy302

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

my generator cover got damaged from the previous owner from dropping the bike and I just purchased a new one.

I downloaded the shop manual but some of the instructions seems unclear. First off I would like to confirm the torque specs on all 9 bolts. According to the shop manual some bolts are suppose to be torque to 12 Nm and some to 10 Nm, but on the PDF I got (page 217 / 5-28) it only shows 2 of the 9 bolts that need needs to be torqued down to specific specs. So I don't know about the other ones ?

Other thing, is there any else I should be worried about when taking off the cover ? Like something that needs to be transferred to the new cover ?

I thought it was just a matter of removing the 9 bolts and replace the cover, but it seems a little bit more complicated.

Thank you

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a copy of what I posted in another thread,

How to: Replace Stator (Generator Rotor) Cover : Yamaha R6 Forum: R6MessageNet : YZF-R6 Forums

I just replaced the cover and the only difficult part is removing the bolts holding the stator (the inside torx bolts). I put the old cover on the ground between my knees and used and extension to allow me to lay on top of the wrench so it wouldn't slip; if you have a vise that could make it easy as well. Don't forget to use loctite for the four inside bolts.

You will need a new gasket, some high temp RTV (to seal the plug pass through), threadlocker (medium), and the cover itselft. Tools: hex key/wrench to lift tank, hex key to remove case, torx bit to remove stator/wire hold down screws, torque wrench to assemble.

If you can get your hand under the tank, you don't necessarily have to lift it, but I was think I ended up trying to undo the wrong plug initially and found it quicker to just slightly raise it to reach in and disconnect the plug.

All in all quite simple, no need to drain any fluids. Use care if working on it on the center stand.

You can just use the general torque for the inside bolts, I'm thinking it was 7.2 ft-lbs, ~84 inch-pounds, etc. You should probably get the gasket as well. Once you remove the cover, you just need to move the stator wire from one cover to the other, then reinstall.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on getting a new gasket! Preventative maintenance will potentially save you headaches in the long run and it is inexpensive.

Be aware there is some magnetic action going on inside the stator cover. The cover may feel like it is resisting to come off. If you've removed all the bolts, keep tugging and it will come off.

There are some pins (2 I think) that are just set in holes. They help guide the cover into the engine. Don't let them fall out and get lost or down a drain.

There is a gear wheel that will also be loose, on the engine side, just be aware of that too. Don't want to lose any of this stuff.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
no need for a new gasket unless you damage the old one

i will say though that you need to invest in some VERY good tools, the torx bolts are threadlocked in tight, and they are easy to strip (or if they don't stip you might end up slicing your hand open....)

i wouldn't worry about torque specs, put some thread lock on them and do them up fairly tight. if you use a torque wrench you might risk snapping them, especially if you have threadlock on the end.

when i took my stator out i ended up having to get one bolt drilled out by a mechanic as it was in so tight

jasiexbam

Reaction score
Visit site
So there's no need to worry about any leakage when I take the cover off? I scraped the cover and just want to put a new one on.

Last edited:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
So there's no need to worry about any lickage when I take the cover off? I scraped the cover and just want to put a new one on.

I assume you meant "leakage". Put the bike on the center stand and have a small pan and a rag handy. Only a little bit will drain out that has collected in the cover.

This space intentionally left blank.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So there's no need to worry about any lickage when I take the cover off? I scraped the cover and just want to put a new one on.

Just a little caught in the cover. Ands its best to leave it straight upright or even leaned over to the left a little to ALLOW the OIL TO EXTRACT LOOSE GASKET MATERIAL when you break the bound. Otherwise it will go inside into the oils circulation.

The magneto's rotor has very strong magnets in it. You may need add space between the cover and the case a little at a time to slowly get the cover away.

The leads are under the Air box and will need disconnected if you need a better means to hold the cover than setting on your knees and undoing the 3 fasteners.

Clean the mating parts with brake or MAF cleaner and begin the assembly process.

You'll be looking at this: Stator removed...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have a short, sturdy stool, just put it adjacent to the bike.

You won't have to lift the tank or disconnect anything... Once the covers removed, set it atop the stool upside down.

You can then lean on those torx screws (or apply some heat to the bad cover to help remove them). Make sure you have a very good quality torx bit.

With a clean towel on the stool, you can install the stator right there in the new cover.
I would put some clean towels inside the case before you start scrapping gasket material. This helps keep debris out of the crankcase.

I used this procedure when replacing my CCT cover, cut the time in half.

Last edited:

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I cured my bike's generator cover with locktite grey liquid gasket, there is some scratches and wear but there is no leaking. I didn't replaced the gasket and I think hardest part is making sealing to generator cable.

bolt torques is 10Nm, don't forget to fix that bolts like criss cross figures.
sorry for my faulty English. Good luck, write here if you will have troubles. :)