removed cat do damage?

wogstyler

WOGSTYLER
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. I have a 2008 fz6s. Last nite I took my cat convertor out and put a straight threw piece of pipe. I started the bike and it sounded rattley. Can this cause damage to my bike without the back pressure there? It also fluctuated the revs too.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
disconnect the battery for 15 mins so that the computer can re-learn when you start it again. i have had my Leo's on for about 12000 miles and the bike runs great still, oil looks clean when i change it, and overall no ill effects.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you tightened the bolts that hold the peice in place. There is no reason for it to be rattling unless something was left inside the straight through pipe, or your exhaust.
The 15 minute trick is also a good idea, probably reset your clock after that too :p
Shouldn't be any damage though, no.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought someone once said there were separate, additional CATs in the header assembly on later models.

Yes disconnecting the battery for a relearn is good to do but there may be too much difference for the stock ECU to adjust to. You might either reinstall the CAT or get a Power Commander and have the bike Dyno'd. Expensive! You may be in the "too little back pressure" zone and be running too lean. This wouldn't be good for your motor's life. It's always been pretty much understood on the forum that once you open the back of the bike up eliminating the CAT you need to go all the way with additional fuel management and a tune.

Here's a discussion regarding back pressure. http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/34007-exhaust-backpressure-fact-fiction.html

Good luck!

Last edited:

wogstyler

WOGSTYLER
Reaction score
Visit site
I put the cat back on and bike ran perfect again. have been thinking bout a pwr commander so i might just wait till i get that before i take cat back out.
Thanks for the info and advice guys :thumbup:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
No probs, the one main thing to keep in mind is that its illegal to take the CAT off, so if there was a reason for someone to take a really close look at your bike because they wanted to get you then they might use that.
Not that it stops people :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After being stuck in traffic on 78F day, I must say that CAT dumps a ton of heat under the bike making standing still pretty hateful. :thumbdown:

As for the bike having two or 3 cats (pre/post-cat) I think not. Just because it has a bulge in the pipe, it does not mean its a CAT. Think resonator. It has 3 way catalyst which is the function of chemicals within the CAT so perhaps that's where the confusion comes from?

Anyway - I'm contemplating yanking it and replacing it with smaller ID pipe and or a pipe with a twisted vane inside to offer some form of resistance so the torque and AF remain near the same.

I need to do some research but fork springs and the headlight modulator come first. . .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As for the bike having two or 3 cats (pre/post-cat) I think not. Just because it has a bulge in the pipe, it does not mean its a CAT. Think resonator. It has 3 way catalyst which is the function of chemicals within the CAT so perhaps that's where the confusion comes from?

QUOTE]

The 04-06 FZ6 as one catalytic converter in the mid pipe, the 07+ FZ6 has 3 catalytic conerter's....1 in the mid pipe, and 2 in the header pipe assembly, just past where the 4 header pipes divide into 2.....one in each side of the "split".

:thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
removing the cats shouldnt do damage as long as your willing to tune it properly. i was thinking of doing that myself and just take it to a muffler shop and save 60 bucks. and besides the O2 sensor is before the cat right? so no worries
:Sport:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I don't think those are cats in the header pipe. I have to agree with FinalImpact with them being resonators. I could be wrong but even the repair manual makes no mention of three cats.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Well I guess I'm wrong I found a write up on the 08 that says it has three cats. Of course they could have misquoted, the three way cat for three cats.