Rear shock adjustment - how?

Archeon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

So I am aware of the general principle, 1-7 on the rear shock, 1 being softest and 7 being hardest.

I also have the tools to do it (I think) - having bought an R6 stock toolkit.

So the problem I have is I cant actually get the tool in position to turn the "wheel" (for lack of a better description). I am trying to access it from under the seat, however there appears to be a chunk of plastic in the way of where the tool would go to slot into the wheel.

Am I missing something? Should I be accessing this from somewhere else?

Any advice appreciated :)

Regards,

Si

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm guessing the tools are different in their angle entering the slot.

Top is R1/R6 bottom is FZ6
SSC_566WEB_zpsa36766d1.jpg

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a gap between the subframe and the rear plastics I think that allows you to get the stock spanner wrench in there. You can kinda see it here
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYs0EJzAA8Q]Tool used to adjust FZ6 shock preload - YouTube[/ame]

Archeon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Ok so based on that video i have the wrong tool, as the R6 one is about 5x the size!

Back to the drawing board...

Si

Archeon

Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good place to pick up the correct tool? The ones on ebay are running at about 35 GBP which seems a bit steep. I was looking at C-spanners, but the one in the video looks not quite the same.

I may just have to buy an R6 to use the toolkit i have with :D

Regards,

Si

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say pick up stock FZ6 toolkit on ebay and sell your R6 kit. That way you at least have the right size everything else too.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good place to pick up the correct tool? The ones on ebay are running at about 35 GBP which seems a bit steep. I was looking at C-spanners, but the one in the video looks not quite the same.

I may just have to buy an R6 to use the toolkit i have with :D

Regards,

Si

I think spanner wrenches are fairly standard. Local bike shops may carry them or do you have a Cyclegear store nearby?

STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - Spanner Wrench - Wrenches & Pliers - Tools - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

web1006938

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone SCAN their spanner and post it in PDF so as to PRINT to SCALE!

Mine is not with more or I would! From this you could make or modify one.

Archeon

Reaction score
Visit site
So point of interest for anyone in a similar situation to me.

The R6 toolkit DOES work on a FZ6. The entry point for the FZ6 S2 2007 model is on the left hand side of the bike (looking from the back), just above the black box under the seat.

Mine was stiff as all hell to move from the default, as I assume in 5 years it hadn't been moved. Once I got the hang of moving it though, dead easy.

Moved up to 5 from default of 3 (or i assume it was on 3 as the markers don't seem to be there any more - either way i upped it 2 notches) and will be test riding later.

Regards,

Si

geheimster

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem, no c-spanner in the toolkit. There are plenty online I can buy cheap enough but does anyone know what size I need to order? Ta.