Rear mudguard plastic faster near mono-shock spring.

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I removed my rear bumper today and broke the little plastic press stud fastner that holds the bumper to the bottom of the swingarm below the mono-shock on my S2.

Attached is a pic or what remains.

Image007-3.jpg

What I want to know is what are they called and where can I get a replacement? They're used lots on cars in the boot space to hold the carpet lining against the sides.

Is there a brand name so I can ask about for these things?

Dealer is the obvious answer, but don't want to pay over the odds for something that is incredibly small and cheap.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks.

Last edited:

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you very much for a quick reply.

However, I probably should have said I live in the UK.

It might not be called a rivet over on this side of the pond, but it does give me something to go off.

Cheers.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You may want to stop by a "friendly" dealer and they might just have a bucket of them laying nearby and just give you one. Or, visit a salvage yard for bikes and ask if you can go pop one off? Worth asking as the worst answer would be "no" right? :D

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in the US they're also carried in varied sizes at most auto parts stores. Not sure what you have available to you but that may be worth a shot too.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Hm... I hate that stupid little thing. From what I read here, they break easily and, you don't need it. When I removed my rear hugger, I was very careful not to damage that thing. I even put it in a special place so I would not lose it. Well, I cannot remember that place -- so I lost it anyway :spank:.

I may just call a local dealer and have them order me one. I also need a bolt from something else on my other bike anyway. They order stuff for me and then maybe a week later, I pick it up and I don't pay shipping.

I would second the idea of asking a dealer. I once lost a bolt to my hand shift lever on my old CBR and the dealer had one. It was going to cost 5 cents; he just gave it to me -- that little 5 cents gave them that little edge when it came down to who gets my business next.

Dennis

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I broke mine when I removed the hugger, as well. The four 'real' bolts do all the work, that part is completely unnecessary, IMHO. The same part is used to attach the clear plastic on the fairing of the 04-06 models....

When I mounted up my Puig, the screen came with replacement parts to use in place of those irritating plastic rivets. The replacement was a rubber stopper, with a nut molded into the bottom of it. The rubber stopper is just big enough to fill the hole the rivets go into. When you use the Allan bolt to attach the screen, that spreads the rubber bung and clamps it in the hole.

Any place that services sport bikes should have buckets of those things sitting around.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Lowes has decent selection.
Home Despot, maybe.
Take a photo or the actual plastic rivet with you for the store clerk to help you out.
But like you said, you are in the UK and I don't know what big box UK hardware stores have in stock.

My friend bought 5 rivets for $8 at a local dealership for his R6.

It's funny, the FZ6 only has one rivet. Half fairing FTW!!

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
just go to an autobody shop and ask if they can replace one for you.
They will just give you one for free, we have giant cabinets in every shop in the city full of every clip retainer or rivet used on all brands of cars.

one of them will work the same

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i don't know exactly how long, but my bike hasn't had that part for a while. this summer when i was cleaning it i noticed it was gone. i've never noticed it being there so i have no clue if i've ever had it on there.

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for this MASSIVE response. :BLAA: :thumbup::thumbup:

Like a few of you, I have come to the conclusion that it is a pointless bit of plastic that I can live without.

When I'm in my dealer for the next service...I will just ask if I can have one for free.

Thanks all. :D

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Yeah, I too busted one off when doing my 2007 swingarm install. I just left it without one and it seems to be fine.

I think that the HELP/Dorman section at most parts stores have some of these, but I'm not sure of the sizes.

BTW, a trick I use on my Trans-Am to remove these clips on the front fascia (to change fog light bulbs) is to use the claw of a carpenters hammer to pop the pin out.

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it didn't seem obviously to be a rivet when I was tugging at it, so like most I guess I just ripped it off!

I would usually use my finger nail, which works most of the time on my cars.

Thanks for the advice everyone.