rear end feels squirrely or too light?

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to do a little search. One of my friends says some Yamaha's and the R6 has this issue, where the weight distribution feels a little "off". I have a newly acquired 05 FZ6 and have noticed that on the slower turns and what-not the back end feels like it's kicking out on me. And I really mean when I'm at a snail's pace crawl I feel this.

First I thought it was the feel of the wider handle bars. I can't comment on the tire brand, but the tires were put on really recently by the previous owner. And no, I'm not really accelerating or doing much with the bike.

I'm relatively new to bikes, only having 2 seasons on me, but this is my third bike. The first being a 99 Katana, and the 2nd a 2000 CBR. Neither of these exhibited this issue. Last night after getting home and turning into my condo lots (various stop and slow turns) I still felt this. So, after 30 miles of highway driving, and residential to get home.... even though it was probably 50's outside, the tires should have been well warmed up.

Is this indeed a Yamaha thing? I can say that the CBR and Katana felt more neutral ie equal weight. I've driven a few GSX-R's ie 2001, 2003 and a 2008 ... those feel very front heavy, but not light in the back when turning?

Thanks a lot for any input!

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had this problem, but I'm also a bigger dude.
I guess it would depend on a few factors, I.E. your weight and riding position, temperature and ground condition, and tires. If you have less than 100 miles on the tires or if they're too worn.

The only time the backend has ever gotten away from me is when I hit a patch of gravel or sand at a lean+throttle.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
How much do you weigh?
What tire pressure are you running? (Go out an check.)

The bike kinda felt unstable for me when I had my tire pressure set too high.
I had front/rear at 36/42psi and I weigh 140lbs. I didn't have my side cases or topcase as well, so the bike wasn't loaded down.
I changed the tire pressure to 33/36psi.

Jarad

U Don't Fit on Back
Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed a similiar thing with my '07. I only noticed it after the misses tipped it over in the garage so during winter storage, I am getting the alignment checked. I was beginning to wonder if I was loosing my mind and it was just in my head knowing it had tipped over. You said newly aquired? Do you notice any scratches on the mirrors, bar ends, or crank case?

Any signs of tip over?

You could have the alignment checked to rule that out?

Probably of no help as I am no mechnic but at least you have someone that has a similiar experience.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check the swing arm for side play! I'll assume you've got good tires and tire pressure. The suspension also compresses when you're in a turn and I'm wondering if it might be compressing prematurely because of a worn or bad component. What tires?

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
What others have said about tires and pressure, but especially what Moto said about the swingarm. If it's that squirrely, especially at slow speed, you've probably got some slop somewhere. If that's the case it about has to be the swingarm or rear wheel bearings. On one of my Hondas the dern thing had the same thing going on and on several occasions it went into tankslappers at the worst possible times. I never get it out of the bike and I just got rid of it. Looking back in retrospect, on that bike, I think it was the rear wheel bearings, (even though I bought the bike new).
Put it up on the center stand and check the slop in the rear swingarm. Rotate the wheel and feel for any looseness. Check your tire pressures. If it's all good, go to the front end and check the front end for looseness. Unless it's a frame problem, it has to be one of these things. The Fazer is a great bike. After you get this little problem straightened out you'll love it. Good luck!

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to go check the tire brand themselves.. last I checked I had them at 40psi before it got really cold. The front was only slightly less, like 38psi. I just left it at that, unless there was some air leaking over the last month, still I don't think that would be it.

As for the mileage on the tires, it's unknown, but I myself have logged probably 300 miles on it since I got it. I know that the person delivering it had to drive at least 30-40 miles before then, and at that time they weren't just brand new. I'm sure they are broken in fine.

The bike was never laid down, only leaned /scratched so there's a little dent in the tank where it leaned against a shed. I trust the seller, so I'm assuming no frame damage.

I weigh about 190 with all my gear on, so I think I'm putting sufficient weight on the suspension, I'm definitely not standing on my pegs on these low turns. It is hard to explain, I just feel the tank is moving a little too much, and the back end almost feels like it is wobbling out. This is at slow slow speeds. Normal 10mph give or take, the bike just feels normal.

How should I check the free play on the front? I routinely put the bike up on the centerstand (to save from the mushy ashphault syndrome on the kickstand) I did rotate the wheel and didn't feel any play like the bearing was off. It also spins straight.

99% of the time I'm fine, but it is a weird feeling when you come to a stop at a sign let's say, and slowly turn a 90 degree turn, when it comes to the end it feels like it's just not there. I certainly know what it feels like to accellerate a little too quick and have it kick in, or slow down fast when the tires are cold and have the back end come out. The feeling is almost like this, but not quite.

I never got a manual, I downloaded the PDF of it. Unless the previous rider (whom I'm sure was 130-140lbs) had adjusted the rear suspension for that weight? I'm assuming you can adjust it like other bikes.. I'll have to look into that. I would think, however, that if this was the case, then higher speed turns or bumps I'd have issues? This is definitely not happening.

Thanks for the input so far!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you arms tensing up at slow speeds?

Also, have someone else ride the bike to check it out.
Sometimes people freak out over their bike for nothing. I do it on occasion. :D

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to go check the tire brand themselves.. last I checked I had them at 40psi before it got really cold. The front was only slightly less, like 38psi. I just left it at that, unless there was some air leaking over the last month, still I don't think that would be it.

As for the mileage on the tires, it's unknown, but I myself have logged probably 300 miles on it since I got it. I know that the person delivering it had to drive at least 30-40 miles before then, and at that time they weren't just brand new. I'm sure they are broken in fine.

The bike was never laid down, only leaned /scratched so there's a little dent in the tank where it leaned against a shed. I trust the seller, so I'm assuming no frame damage.

I weigh about 190 with all my gear on, so I think I'm putting sufficient weight on the suspension, I'm definitely not standing on my pegs on these low turns. It is hard to explain, I just feel the tank is moving a little too much, and the back end almost feels like it is wobbling out. This is at slow slow speeds. Normal 10mph give or take, the bike just feels normal.

How should I check the free play on the front? I routinely put the bike up on the centerstand (to save from the mushy ashphault syndrome on the kickstand) I did rotate the wheel and didn't feel any play like the bearing was off. It also spins straight.

99% of the time I'm fine, but it is a weird feeling when you come to a stop at a sign let's say, and slowly turn a 90 degree turn, when it comes to the end it feels like it's just not there. I certainly know what it feels like to accellerate a little too quick and have it kick in, or slow down fast when the tires are cold and have the back end come out. The feeling is almost like this, but not quite.

I never got a manual, I downloaded the PDF of it. Unless the previous rider (whom I'm sure was 130-140lbs) had adjusted the rear suspension for that weight? I'm assuming you can adjust it like other bikes.. I'll have to look into that. I would think, however, that if this was the case, then higher speed turns or bumps I'd have issues? This is definitely not happening.

Thanks for the input so far!

40 psi in the front is way too high. Try 33 front 36 rear and you'll get much more feel from the bike. Also try raising the rear preload form the stock 3 to 4. This will stiffen the rear slightly and may well feel more balanced.

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
No, 38 front, 40 rear, sorry I wasn't too clear on that.. but I can lower the pressures a little bit. I will look into adjusting the rear preload, I emailed the previous owner to ask if it was adjusted.

I certainly could be tensing up a little more on the slow turns, it is a different seating position all together from my other bikes.

I'll also see when my buddy gets back into town in two weeks if he'll ride my bike to see what he thinks.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
40 psi in the front is way too high. Try 33 front 36 rear and you'll get much more feel from the bike. Also try raising the rear preload form the stock 3 to 4. This will stiffen the rear slightly and may well feel more balanced.

I was going to post exactly the same thing. Very good advice.
Sounds like you haven't checked the pre-load yet and if it's set at 1 or 2, rear end will feel pretty awful at your weight. It takes a minute to adjust. Just pop the seat off and take a look at where pre-load is set (there's a number on the color). The PDF manual you downloaded will explain the procedure.

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, will do the soonest I can .... take the tire pressures down and check on the pre-load settings. Time to start reading the pdf :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, will do the soonest I can .... take the tire pressures down and check on the pre-load settings. Time to start reading the pdf :)

Do you have your OEM tool kit? You'll need the spanner wrench to do the adjustment. There is also another tool that slips on to the spanner wrench handle to give you better leverage when turning the preload adjuster.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One more thing. Assuming you have the OEM tool kit and you're ready to adjust preload, REMOVE THE KEY from the seat lock before you do the adjustment.
It is very easy to bend the key if you leave it in, without even realizing.

Rice_Rocket

Newbie-- don't be hatin'
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips! I just heard back from the previous owner... suspension has never been changed from stock, frame has never touched the ground. Also they never experienced the loose back end before. Must be my fat ass ... :)

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you posted this thread - I've been commuting in the rain the last couple of days and have had a few squirrely moments myself! My rear tyre is pretty worn in the centre, but the front is fine (time for a new set come pay day at the end of the month). OK so riding in the wet with worn tyres obviously explains things :spank: However, I didn't think about tyre pressure. I went and checked and it seems I'm running them a little high. Will lower them and see if I can get a few more kms out of them! :eek:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to do a little search. One of my friends says some Yamaha's and the R6 has this issue, where the weight distribution feels a little "off". I have a newly acquired 05 FZ6 and have noticed that on the slower turns and what-not the back end feels like it's kicking out on me. And I really mean when I'm at a snail's pace crawl I feel this.

First I thought it was the feel of the wider handle bars. I can't comment on the tire brand, but the tires were put on really recently by the previous owner. And no, I'm not really accelerating or doing much with the bike.

I'm relatively new to bikes, only having 2 seasons on me, but this is my third bike. The first being a 99 Katana, and the 2nd a 2000 CBR. Neither of these exhibited this issue. Last night after getting home and turning into my condo lots (various stop and slow turns) I still felt this. So, after 30 miles of highway driving, and residential to get home.... even though it was probably 50's outside, the tires should have been well warmed up.

Is this indeed a Yamaha thing? I can say that the CBR and Katana felt more neutral ie equal weight. I've driven a few GSX-R's ie 2001, 2003 and a 2008 ... those feel very front heavy, but not light in the back when turning?

Thanks a lot for any input!

I have the same issue that pops up on mine: http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire...sportmax-d252-feels-like-rear-wants-slip.html

I am convinced it is just these crappy stock tires and the fact that the previous owner of my bike had a flat spot worn on the center of the tires to make them ride weird. I have the "chicken strips" down to about 1/16" on the left and 1/8" on the right but I still get that slip feeling on the rear once in a while and the tire has a flat spot in the middle. I have a little over 4k on the bike now and the tire is shot. I ordered a road 2ct and it is going to be here tomorrow. I will post up if it resolved the issue which i have a feeling it will.