Rate Your Own Visibility

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems you missed the point completely. Here is how you scored so low (just guessing BTW)....

Your visibility is EXTREMELY POOR duing night/dusk/dawn/rain....hence the low score! It's a "rate your visibility test" not a "how hard do I try to be visible" test or "how defensive of a rider am I" test.

I wear black leather but only sometimes ride at night or in the rain as I basically ride for pleasure only.

Well their logic is all screwed up. What does the horn have to do with visibility? The horn is based on sound, the ability to hear, not see. It's not a visual thing. Well it is after you use it.

I think in certain situations, you are more visible at night than during the day. Your headlights are more visible at night. I think every light you have is more visible at night vs the day.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
16.25 out of 10 :BLAA:. I'm Mr Visible, me. :cheer:

Amongst the helpful tips to improve my visibility were wearing brightly coloured gloves for hand signals. Yerse, that'll help loads. And perhaps fitting an orange flashing light on top of my helmet into the bargain.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
8/10 :cheer:

Here's some tips from the site, for those who don't want to take the quiz:

Here are some recommendations to maximize your visibility

Wear a fluorescent, reflective safety vest every time you ride.
Use strategic lane positioning to increase your visibility at intersections.
Select appropriate lane positioning following distances to be seen in traffic.
Carefully observe and avoid other drivers' blind spots.
Install a headlight modulator on your motorcycle.
Install a taillight modulator on your motorcycle, if legal in your state.
Pump your brakes to flash your taillight, or install a taillight modulator if legal in your state.
Wear a helmet with reflective tape or stickers on it.
Add reflective tape or stickers to your motorcycle.
Use movement on your motorcycle to draw attention to yourself.
Install auxiliary driving lights or fog lights on your motorcycle.
Use hand signals when turning or merging in addition to your motorcycle's turn signals.
Wear brightly colored gloves and use hand signals in addition to your motorcycle's turn signals.
To view our 20 High-Viz Tips, click here:
MMSC - Riding Tips

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for taking our survey. Your visibility rating is 9.75 out of 10.

Not bad. You are visible to most other drivers out there, but you should do more to make yourself easier to see.
Here are some recommendations to maximize your visibility

Wear a fluorescent, reflective safety vest every time you ride.
Wear a brightly colored jacket every time you ride.
Add reflective tape, piping, or cloth to your riding gear, helmet, and/or bike.
Install a headlight modulator on your motorcycle.
Install a taillight modulator on your motorcycle, if legal in your state.
Wear a helmet with reflective tape or stickers on it.
Use movement on your motorcycle to draw attention to yourself.
Use hand signals when turning or merging in addition to your motorcycle's turn signals.
Wear brightly colored gloves and use hand signals in addition to your motorcycle's turn signals.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
10.25 out of 10 WTF!!!!!!!!! :eek: I knew i was bright but being off the scale is just sad :( :spank:

I'm telling you it's extra points for that Hi Vis Cheese Helmet!!! LOL! I need to find one of those and carve it out to fit on my helmet!!!!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
That quiz is BS! I ride with a high viz jacket, pump the brakes, signal for every lane change, adjust position and it still scored me .25. WTF!

2.5 out of 10? yellow jacket and helmet, lots of high visibility behavior and i got a 2.5? i am also a bit skeptical of the validity of this test...

Thanks for taking our survey. Your visibility rating is 10.25 out of 10

Weird, I don't do that much other than wearing a white jacket and making sure that I'm not in a blind spot, paying attention to what other people on the road can see and making sure that they are aware of me. But I got a 10.25 out of 10... I really didn't expect more than a 4 or 5 out of 10. Something is amiss.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Well their logic is all screwed up. What does the horn have to do with visibility? The horn is based on sound, the ability to hear, not see. It's not a visual thing. Well it is after you use it.

I think in certain situations, you are more visible at night than during the day. Your headlights are more visible at night. I think every light you have is more visible at night vs the day.

*shrug*

Amongst the helpful tips to improve my visibility were wearing brightly coloured gloves for hand signals. Yerse, that'll help loads. And perhaps fitting an orange flashing light on top of my helmet into the bargain.

hahaha :rockon:

Does MSF encourage hand signals? I'd think we would want both hands doing what is expected of them at all times.

Agreed. Vegas?

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
14.5 for me. If I remember correctly, studies have shown the high beam during the day doesn't help and only pisses people off.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does MSF encourage hand signals?

Here's the most popular one: :Flip:

0.5 out of 10 for me...what's a headlight modulator?

You can purchase a device that will make your headlight flash on and off whenever you ride with your high beams on. Similar to what you see on emergency vehicles. It's perfectly legal for motorcycles to have them. There is a sensor that will automatically shut of the modulator when it gets dark.

There is a debate whether they work, don't work, or even work too well. From the riders who have them, they all agree that a lot of times when they are rolling down the fast lane on the freeway, more people tend to pull over and yield thinking that you're some type of emergency vehicle.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
In general terms, I have to think the main thrust of this is to emphasize that riding in 'compromised' visibility increases the risk to the rider in a huge way.

Riding in the rain, in heavy traffic, in a blind spot? Bad idea. Glow in the dark clothes, and a flashing beanie aren't going to amount to squat.... best to continue to treat yourself as completely invisible.

Same thing with riding into the setting sun, or rising sun...... if drivers are looking for car sized silouettes..... the bike disapears, regardless of modulators, extra lights, jumping up and down on the seat.....