• Wide for better vision

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • What are you talking about?

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Ok peeps. In the UK we are taught to take a wide line when cornering on public roads to allow the best vision around the turn and avoid nasty surprises. I believe in the US riders are taught to take more of a racing line.

Some definitions would probably help. Here goes...

"Wheel Track" - where a car's wheels would normally be if the driver is in the center of the lane

"Inside Wheel Track" - the Wheel Track closest to the curb.

"Outside Wheel Track" - the Wheel Track farthest from the curb.

"Racing Line" - approaching a turn in the Outer Wheel Track then moving in as close to the inner part of the apex as possible then moving back to the Outer Wheel Track.

"Turning Wide" - approaching a turn in the Outer Wheel Track and maintaining that line throughout the entire curve (unless something observed creates the need to change the line. i.e. an oncoming car trying to use the 'Racing Line' and drifting into your lane)

Which do you do and why? Discuss.

Last edited:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
That depends on your definition of the racing line. Do you mean to start wide, apex in, and end wide? If so, I definitely do this if the visibility is good through the turn. Otherwise, I take a moderate line that really isn't a wide line, but certainly not hugging the inside line either, mostly for room to correct either direction if something were to come up.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That depends on your definition of the racing line. Do you mean to start wide, apex in, and end wide? If so, I definitely do this if the visibility is good through the turn. Otherwise, I take a moderate line that really isn't a wide line, but certainly not hugging the inside line either, mostly for room to correct either direction if something were to come up.

+1

AKA Outside Inside Outside

KenpoTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you mean to start wide, apex in, and end wide? If so, I definitely do this if the visibility is good through the turn. Otherwise, I take a moderate line that really isn't a wide line, but certainly not hugging the inside line either, mostly for room to correct either direction if something were to come up.

+1...If I know the road and can see ahead, I'll play it a little tighter. Otherwise, I take it a little wider to allow for the unexpected (traffic, debris on road, whatever).

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On the road...i stay on my side of the road, but i do use corner Apex's, etc, and run wide where it makes sense too, or hug the verge, when it makes sense to...

The racing line as per the race track definition of the term, which would give lane markings no acknowledgement at all...well, if you used such a line on the road, you would be in for a world of pain, or worse, soon enough!

Still doesnt mean you cant have fun on the roads, there is a happy, safe medium, i reckon.

:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We are taught to straighten the corner out by taking the racing line to some extent in the Ridersafe Course here in SA.

I can think of 4 corners just off the top of my head that would see you end up in the sticks if you tried to follow this line all the time, as there are some magic examples of tree roots and bad manhole cover placement around here.

On the other hand, take the corner wide and there's a chance you're gonna find yourself in the marbles or in a section of road that has dropped away from the rest.

Need to take it easy and learn the roads you ride and then ride the lines with a bit up your sleeve for emergencies in case something has changed in the 5 minutes since you were there last.

Wolfman commented on some weird lines I take once about a year ago. All that night riding helps you know exactly where all the bumpy bits are....lol. This is one of the reasons why I don't have as much trouble with bumpy roads as others do, judging by the bumpy 5h1t road comments I get when I take us somewhere...lol.:D

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Yeah, some definitions would probably help. Here goes...

"Wheel Track" - where a car's wheels would normally be if the driver is in the center of the lane

"Racing Line" - approaching a turn in the Outer Wheel Track then moving in as close to the inner part of the apex as possible then moving back to the Outer Wheel Track.

"Turning Wide" - approaching a turn in the Outer Wheel Track and maintaining that line throughout the entire curve (unless something observed creates the need to change the line. i.e. an oncoming car trying to use the 'Racing Line' and drifting into your lane)

Debaser

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I remember when I learnt to ride in the UK was being told (on a right-hand turn riding on the left) was to make sure my head was not over the line :) which using the racing line it would be.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
One thing I remember when I learnt to ride in the UK was being told (on a right-hand turn riding on the left) was to make sure my head was not over the line :) which using the racing line it would be.
That's a good tip. +1 But in that scenario, you should be in the Inside Wheel Track because it would be affording you the best view around the corner. You also wouldn't have to worry about your head because you would be away from the center line.

By the way, this is what I was taught by the Police riders, it's not just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Yeah, some definitions would probably help. Here goes...

might want to edit your first post and put this info in there.

based on your def... i was taught the racing line and i do it for the most part. but it depends on the road.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The last formal training course I attended (Team Oregon ART) taught us to stay wide in the corner (line nearest outside edge of road) until we could see the exit..... then make the apex. That was termed 'delayed apex', and it ensures you can see all the way through the corner before you commit to it. You also have to do almost all of your braking before you bank the bike over.... so that means you have a bit more traction available on the exit.

Running wide on the exit of a corner is almost always the result of apexing too soon, and/or carrying too much speed into the corner. When you drift into the oncoming lane and it's not intentional......... bad things happen there.

I personally honor the centerline of the road at all times. It doesn't matter that I could go faster once in a while by shortening the corners..... making the road straighter is not why I went where there were corners in the first place. Instilling the habit of NOT crossing the centerline at ALL times, increases the odds that I won't do so by accident, when I 'forget'. Going fast without getting killed is a good goal, in my view. Being able to ride home at the end of the day is another worthy aspiration.

I can find plenty of adrenaline rush, without getting any more stupid than that.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Cruising: turning wide (actually stay close to the center of the lane).

Spirited riding: racing line within my lane

If you're on a spirited ride and use the "turning wide" technique, you're decreasing your margin of error for no reason. I prefer to regulate my speed before the corner if I can't see through as opposed to systematically choose the outside line no matter the situation... imho.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Outside-inside-outside or racing line... BUT, not on the dragon. Several people who hang over the center double yellow line have faceplanted into oncoming traffic. :eek:

It all depends on how spirited the ride is too. If I'm just out touring and not carving, I usually stick to one wheel track.