Race Tech Springs and Emulators

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
Everything came today. Its been a busy week so I don't think I'll get the kit assembled before the weekend and I really want to be able to go for a ride SOOO it will have to wait a little bit.

So much to do, so little time:
Girlfriends parts to paint, front end to fix, AND a project that is already way behind schedule...
*sigh*

I'll keep ya'll posted

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
Girlfriends parts to paint, front end to fix, AND a project that is already way behind schedule...
*sigh*

I'll keep ya'll posted

I won't mind painting your girlfriends parts and fixing her front end;)
:BLAA:

Grtz,

Degake

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my problem with the R6 fork mod:

It's actually NOT cheaper than rebuilding your stock forks with new springs and emulators.

Nobody takes into account the cost of rebuilding/inspecting a set of R6 forks purchsed from ebay/wherever. How do you know the forks are good? Are thus bushings ok? What condition is the oil? Don't know. It's silly to buy used forks from anywhere and install them on your bike without inspectiong/rebuilding them first. That costs $$$

$192.95, a few bucks in washers, make some fender brackets and you're good-to-go.

Oil, $10.00.

Result, better overall performance.

Silly, hardly. Go ride a pair, then state your position.

Cheap is not always best.

03-09 Yamaha R6s Forks | eBay

Last edited:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Everything came today. Its been a busy week so I don't think I'll get the kit assembled before the weekend and I really want to be able to go for a ride SOOO it will have to wait a little bit.

*sigh*

I'll keep ya'll posted

Did you get your oil weight question answered? Call Racetech. They're real helpful. When I called with the same question they said 15W. They said if I didn't do the emulators I'd probably want a lighter weight oil.

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheap is not always best.

If you say cheap is not always best, then argue that the R6 forks ARE cheaper, isn't that a defeating argument? :banghead:

Regardless, I'm sure the R6 mod is great. I decided to go with the Racetech springs and emulators, I got the parts for less than I could find R6 parts for at the time, and I decided it was what I wanted to do anyway. The OP states that I decided to do the Racetech Mod and that I was committed and was asking advice on the Racetech Mod. At this point, telling me I should do something different is akin to telling me I should have gotten a different bike that didn't need a fork upgrade....

I'm still waiting for anyone who has ridden the R6 forks AND the Racetech spring and emulators and has a good basis for comparison. From what I've heard, everybody is really happy with both conversions and all I want to be is really happy.

Did you get your oil weight question answered? Call Racetech. They're real helpful. When I called with the same question they said 15W. They said if I didn't do the emulators I'd probably want a lighter weight oil.

One of the posts recommended 5wt so I got some 5wt I think, (perhaps it was 10) but I'll probably be calling/emailing Racetech to get some better advice. I agree, emulators will want lighter oil. Thanks!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be interested to hear how this goes, I've been thinking about upgrading my suspension after bottoming out the forks the other day with some sudden braking and having the front wheel lock up and skip along the road :S

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, emulators will want lighter oil. Thanks!

My understanding is that the emulators definitely need heavier oil. One of the installation steps is to drill much larger holes in the tubes which allows more oil to flow more easily. In order for damping to be at least as strong, more viscous fluid must replace the original. But don't take my word for it. Call Racetech. They have very knowledgeable and helpful people who want you to be happy with their product.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
My understanding is that the emulators definitely need heavier oil. One of the installation steps is to drill much larger holes in the tubes which allows more oil to flow more easily. In order for damping to be at least as strong, more viscous fluid must replace the original. But don't take my word for it. Call Racetech. They have very knowledgeable and helpful people who want you to be happy with their product.

the reason for the bigger holes is to allow the cartridge damper to work, otherwise you'd have 2 sets of damping in series

emulators

ejether

Reaction score
Visit site
the reason for the bigger holes is to allow the cartridge damper to work, otherwise you'd have 2 sets of damping in series

emulators

Great article Thanks!

I will certainly be contacting Race Tech! However, because I love a good discussion, I think heavier oil (over stock) will be required to reduce rebound rate, but with emulators, you'll need lighter oil than with the springs alone since the emulators handle the damping. So my new oil will be heavier than stock and lighter than with just the springs alone. :cheer:

Everybody is right!:rockon:

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing to remember, emulators only control compression damping, not rebound damping.

This to me means that you would have to determine the correct oil viscosity for the amount of rebound damping you require, probably through trial and error, and then tune the emulator to provide the correct compression damping with this oil viscosity?

Something else to consider, an oil with an SAE rating of 15W is not necessarily the same viscosity as another brands 15W, worth using a viscosity index table to compare viscosity’s, these are the two I've been using;

Comparative Oil Weights Table

Suspension Fluid - Pvdwiki

Yamahaboyz

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

If I'm not mistaken, drilling the OEM parts allows all fluid available to get metered through the new emulators. Its more like you're opening the door!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still waiting for anyone who has ridden the R6 forks AND the Racetech spring and emulators and has a good basis for comparison. From what I've heard, everybody is really happy with both conversions and all I want to be is really happy.

As much as this seems like a great idea to compare them - it all depends how they're set up! Meaning our taste, final setup, and tune could be very different.
PS - it'll be too late real soon but it is an option to ride a converted bike as mine is and we are town away! It was less then 250 for everything with forks having 3000 miles on them.

Personally if you're under 200lbs i'd be opting for 10wt vs 15 but a mix of 5 and 10 would likely be better.

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally if you're under 200lbs i'd be opting for 10wt vs 15 but a mix of 5 and 10 would likely be better.

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that 15W was the right choice in my previous post, just making a point about oil viscosity. :D

My '07 with 0.9kg/mm racetech fork springs fitted is using 17.5W Putoline HPX for correct rebound action, however the updates for '07 included changes to front suspension damping, so this could possibly be quite different to what would be needed in '06 and earlier models. :confused:

Yamahaboyz

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, drilling the OEM parts allows all fluid available to get metered through the new emulators. Its more like you're opening the door!

Yep. That's right. The actual damping is done by the shim stack. My post was a little misleading in that regard. When I called Racetech, described my riding style as "not real fast", my weight as 180 w/o gear, though I sometimes have a pillion or loaded saddlebags, and they said I should get 0.95 kg/mm springs and 15w oil. It sounded stiff to me. I wouldn't be surprised if I change oil or spring weight after riding it for a while. I'll update once it's installed. I asked what weight oil I should get if I didn't do emulators, and they said it would be lighter, but didn't give a number.

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
i have an s2 fz-n ive done the hyperpro fork spring mod and supplied 15wt oil and for track days there great i can really load the front,however on normal road riding at lower speeds the front feels a little hard,the bike reacts over small bumps instead of absorbing them, i would like it a little softer but dont know if i should shorten the preload tubes or use a lighter oil say a 10wt