suspension improvement and adjustment

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve put about 20 miles on it. It’s a fun motorcycle. Back in ‘81 as a freshman in college I could only dream of owning such a bike. By the time I could afford a nice street bike time and technology had moved on, so I never really experienced a street bike of that vintage. There’s nothing impressive about it, but the sum of its parts makes for an entertaining time…and lots of character.

Sdaniels

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I’ve put about 20 miles on it. It’s a fun motorcycle. Back in ‘81 as a freshman in college I could only dream of owning such a bike. By the time I could afford a nice street bike time and technology had moved on, so I never really experienced a street bike of that vintage. There’s nothing impressive about it, but the sum of its parts makes for an entertaining time…and lots of character.

Your last sentence nails it. My son purchased a 1975 Honda CB360T he thought was going to be cheap transportation his last year in college. This was just a few years ago. By the time I finished rebuilding/replacing front brake parts, fixing shorts in the headlight wiring & replacing the ancient, separate regulator & rectifier & a general cleanup on engine covers, he graduated. But, it was a lot of fun cleaning up the bike & he made money off of it when he sold it. Yeah, like you said, nothing impressive but still a lot of fun to ride & tons of character.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The spring does not determine ride plushness/firmness. Ride quality is handled by the rebound and compression damping. The springs only job is to properly suspend the bike and rider. Yes, too stiff a spring will result in a harsh ride that can't be adjusted away, and the same is true for too soft of a spring. Ride control is not adjusted via pre-load - sag is adjusted via preload.

The Ohlins shock with the remote reservoir is one of the holy grail shocks. If you have found one at a good price, buy it. And if you don't buy it, post it here so someone else can. My shock is the one with the screw-type preload adjustment and rebound control.

I purchased the same Ohlins and I can tell you that even though it is NOT the holy grail of shocks, it is an amazing upgrade over the stock.......

Sdaniels

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased the same Ohlins and I can tell you that even though it is NOT the holy grail of shocks, it is an amazing upgrade over the stock.......

What do you consider the holy grail? Ohlins has a very good reputation but Penske, WP, even Progressive perform better than budget bike suspension bits.

cowbasa

Reaction score
Visit site
This place advertises the shock as out of stock...how long for, I don't know. One place has the standard shock for $518, this one advertised as $680...I'd say $160 more isn't unreasonble for the top end shock, if it ever becomes available. https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/...MrLGykcZTInfHNCned60HuSRpHoUQ6zxoCJbgQAvD_BwE

this is not the 'top end' shock STG advertised. the picture on the site is not correct. The S46er1 shock they are selling is the cheapest Ohlins street shock for fz6 as on the picture, so I guess it's the same one you see for $518 somewhere else.
Screenshot_20220219-223819.png

Sdaniels

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
this is not the 'top end' shock STG advertised. the picture on the site is not correct. The S46er1 shock they are selling is the cheapest Ohlins street shock for fz6 as on the picture, so I guess it's the same one you see for $518 somewhere else.
View attachment 74850

Seriously? I get the pic not being accurate but they listed all the features of the shock in the description...sorry guys.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously? I get the pic not being accurate but they listed all the features of the shock in the description...sorry guys.

@cowbasa is spot on. I ordered the S46ER1 from STG and it is NOT the pictured shock. It is the shock pictured by cowbasa. Sucks that they leave the incorrect info on their site. Still a great shock though.. I LOVE mine.
This place advertises the shock as out of stock...how long for, I don't know. One place has the standard shock for $518, this one advertised as $680...I'd say $160 more isn't unreasonble for the top end shock, if it ever becomes available. https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/...MrLGykcZTInfHNCned60HuSRpHoUQ6zxoCJbgQAvD_BwE

FYI with the Covid craziness I placed my Ohlins order with STG on Jan 13, 2021 but STG didn't receive it until June 17, 2021. I was in touch with them through out the duration, as the shock had to be made in Sweden. Not a surprise considering the age of the FZ6.

You may want to check with STG (or whomever you want to purchase from) to see if they actually have an order placed with Ohlins to get some for inventory. I am betting that they order them as customers purchase them.

Sdaniels

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Installed everything yesterday on my son's bike. Used 1" schedule 40 pvc for the spacers. Followed everything from the dvr search on Racetech site, except for fork spring preload...They recommended 10mm, I used 5mm, only because of the adjustable preload fork caps. Caps have 5 lines on the preload adjusters. With 4 lines showing & using Racetech's method for measuring sag, he had 44mm of sag. With 3 lines showing, sag dropped to 36. He hasn't able to ride it yet...raining & he had footpeg brackets off for paint.

Attachments

• 20220226_125338.jpg
    20220226_125338.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 17
  • Resized_20220224_170824.jpeg
    Resized_20220224_170824.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Resized_20220208_144619.jpeg
    Resized_20220208_144619.jpeg
    715.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
32-38mm is the sweet spot, you you’ve got it dialed in well. What is the resulting static sag (without rider)? If it’s in the range of 10-15mm you’ve nailed it.

To test to make sure the springs on the GVE are preloaded correctly, you can place a zip tie on one of the fork tubes. During normal riding the suspension should use around 60% of travel. Under extreme conditions (braking and broken roads) you should see 90% usage. The zip tie acts a memory device.

Rebound damping is adjusted via air gap.

Sdaniels

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
32-38mm is the sweet spot, you you’ve got it dialed in well. What is the resulting static sag (without rider)? If it’s in the range of 10-15mm you’ve nailed it.

To test to make sure the springs on the GVE are preloaded correctly, you can place a zip tie on one of the fork tubes. During normal riding the suspension should use around 60% of travel. Under extreme conditions (braking and broken roads) you should see 90% usage. The zip tie acts a memory device.

Rebound damping is adjusted via air gap.

RT only gives rider/bike sag setting so we didn't do bike-only measure. I'll do it next time we visit him...so, 10-15mm from our current setting that got us to 36mm?