R6S Fork Mod Complete!

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
Scored a set of R6S forks and axle from an '06 off the R6 forum. Got the fender mounting brackets from RyanK (he is the man!) and wheel and brake bushings from a source that shall remain nameless (I don't know if he wants to get a bunch of inquires for mass production).

Once the parts were in hand, the mod itself was very straight forward, and I would think, much simpler than the RT cartridge emmulator installation, which I had strongly considered.

Even to my very untrained butt, the ride quality seems much improved. With the stock forks, I used to feel sharp bumps very distinctly in the handlebars. No longer... Now I hardly feel bumps through the handlebars at all. Took her through some twisties today. Seems much more stable, with no wallowing. Very eager to turn in, and easy to make corrections mid-turn.

Overall, a very easy mod, and EXTREMELY cost effective. The whole shootin' match cost me < $250! I highly recommend it...

Looks the same except the adjustments:
PC240005.jpg

PC240006.jpg

The fender looks like a factory installation thanks to RyanK!
PC240003.jpg

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woo! Hoo! Very cool John, I'm glad this worked out for you, the R6 fork is really the way to go. :thumbup:

Isn't the difference amazing? Even for everyday riding the ride is so much more comfortable. :cheer:

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Woo! Hoo! Very cool John, I'm glad this worked out for you, the R6 fork is really the way to go. :thumbup:

Isn't the difference amazing? Even for everyday riding the ride is so much more comfortable. :cheer:

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

I love these forks/brakes. I've only ridden my bike twice since I did the mod(second time I got in an accident, forks are fine thankfully) but I noticed an immediate difference, the front wheel feels a lot more planted and stiffer. Can't wait until I actually adjust them.

One of the best FZ mods.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my next mod. II just need to score a source for the spacers and brackets for my 07'. If anyone reads this and can make them for me, I will gladly reward you for your help.:D

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my next mod. II just need to score a source for the spacers and brackets for my 07'. If anyone reads this and can make them for me, I will gladly reward you for your help.:D
For the spacers, you can order them from McMaster-Carr
98126A797 -axle shims
93475A280 -caliper spacers
About $15

As far as the fender brackets, you would either have to manufacture them, see if RyanK has any more, or wait for him/someone else to make more.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ghettoed out brackets to mount my fender. Just use band aluminium. It's really pretty easy; eyeball, drill, bend, mount. Cheap too.

I've got a set of RyanKs mounts to replace my cheapo job. Much cleaner looking. :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
jeeze, another R6 fork conversion.... i really gotta step up my search for $ and R6 forks...

You really do, it is well worth the cost and effort. Now that the spacers can be had from the machine supply company it's a no brainer. Once you have all of the parts the swap, fork legs only mind you, is about 30 to 45 minutes.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Does it change the riding position at all? And being a wee bit uninformed, what are the bushings and spacers needed for?

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The fork legs are about 10mm shorter so they don't effect your position. The sliders, the lower half of the fork, are narrower than the FZ fork so you will need 1) spacers to move the brake calipers inward to align with the brake disc, 2) wheel spacers to make up the gap from the wheel spacer and the fork. Think of them as a shim.

If you have an 07 to 09, once you have the shims/spacers, it is a very simple swap. If you have an 04 to 06 you will need the 07+ style brake calipers as the spacing of the 04 caliper will not align with the R6 fork.

If you do this mob be sure to get the R6 axle and nut, the FZ axle will not work.

Search and you'll find several other threads on this mod.

Have fun!

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have an 04 to 06 you will need the 07+ style brake calipers as the spacing of the 04 caliper will not align with the R6 fork.

The other option is to use the r6 (03-04) or r6s(06+) calipers. Often you'll find the whole front end on ebay or r6 forums (forks, calipers, axles the whole bag)

Last edited:

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused. (which should not be too surprising)

So I picked up a pair of 03/04 r6 forks and an axle. I know that I can order the shims from mcmaster whatever, from what I understand those are to space the wheel to the forks.

But now I also have to get a set of r6 calipers, too? My fz6 calipers won't bolt up to the fork? And there's no bracket or adapter being produced by anyone on either of the forums?

What about the fender? Do I need to order an r6 fender? Or is there someone making adapters to fit the fz fender onto the r6 forks?

Apologies for my being dense... thanks.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
But now I also have to get a set of r6 calipers, too? My fz6 calipers won't bolt up to the fork? And there's no bracket or adapter being produced by anyone on either of the forums?

What about the fender? Do I need to order an r6 fender? Or is there someone making adapters to fit the fz fender onto the r6 forks?

Yes you need different calipers as your 2006 has the old 2 pot calipers that mount differently. The calipers should not be very expensive and there is a long list of R6 calipers that will fit along with some of the R1 calipers IIRC (you'll have to use the search function) (EDIT, 2007+ FZ6 calipers too!). I've got you covered on the spacers (I have extra) once you get the actual calipers...they bolt right up. I doubt anyone makes an adapter for the old crappy brakes and the R6 forks...put the money you'd spend on an adapter towards a $50 set of 4pot calipers...you won't regret it the next time you need good brakes.

You will need some sort of adapter in order to use your FZ6 fender. Some people have even used zip ties! I bought a kit for use with my FZ6 fender that is no longer being made so I'm not sure what everyone else is doing these days...common problem though (a lot of discussion above).

Once you get all the parts lined up, it's not that hard to do, especially if you've done it before. I've had mine apart and back together numerous times so let me know if you want any help when the times comes.

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i wish we had some pictures with a bike that has had the r6 mod done, next to a bike that hasnt had it doen. multi angles.. it would give peopel a better idea on how much the front end really drops when doing this mod.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused. (which should not be too surprising)

So I picked up a pair of 03/04 r6 forks and an axle. I know that I can order the shims from mcmaster whatever, from what I understand those are to space the wheel to the forks.

RyanK made a run of fender adapters, not sure if he is going to do another one. It is very easy to make you own brackets with band aluminum and a few bolts.

Here's the one's RyanK made:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/9116-07-fender-brackets-r6-fork-conversion.html

This is my install thread and you can see the brackets we made. Kinda cheese but they work! :thumbup:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/7411-r6-fork-mod-completed.html

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I got the r6 brakes. The last dumb question that I have is regarding the fender. Do I use my fender or do I need an r6 fender? If I need an r6 fender, I would assume that I should get the same year as the forks I bought. Or are you all adapting the fz6 fender to fit the r6 forks?

thanks.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I got the r6 brakes. The last dumb question that I have is regarding the fender. Do I use my fender or do I need an r6 fender? If I need an r6 fender, I would assume that I should get the same year as the forks I bought. Or are you all adapting the fz6 fender to fit the r6 forks?

thanks.

:eek:

see below...urrr, and above.

RyanK made a run of fender adapters, not sure if he is going to do another one. It is very easy to make you own brackets with band aluminum and a few bolts.

Here's the one's RyanK made:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/9116-07-fender-brackets-r6-fork-conversion.html

This is my install thread and you can see the brackets we made. Kinda cheese but they work! :thumbup:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/7411-r6-fork-mod-completed.html

:thumbup:

You will need some sort of adapter in order to use your FZ6 fender. Some people have even used zip ties! I bought a kit for use with my FZ6 fender that is no longer being made so I'm not sure what everyone else is doing these days...common problem though (a lot of discussion above).

Is this not answering your fender questions? Am I not understanding what you're asking?:confused:

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just an idiot, so bear with me.

I thought that I'd seen posts wherein people talked about using an r6 fender but that it was designed to be used with a lower profile tire. So while it fits, it's somewhat close.

Not sure why I didn't just read the dang post again first. Thanks, now that i've re-read the thread I see that the adapters are to fit my fender to the r6 fork. Yes, I also understand that he's (ryan) not likely to be making any more. I guess I was also wondering if the bracket setup he'd made were for a particular year or fork/fender combination. Not that that matters anyhow.

Having read so many different posts and threads about this, it just gets a little bit confusing for someone like me with such limited grey matter...