R6 Cams

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also done a very crude comparison here just pulling numbers off the chart as I can't compare the before and afters on the same table.

But I make it (un-mapped on FZ6 cams)

RPM FZ6 CAMS R6 CAMS

3500 - 20 vs 20
4000 - 25 vs 25
4500 - 27 vs 27
5000 - 32 vs 32
5500 - 35 vs 32
6000 - 37 vs 35
6500 - 50 vs 32
7000 - 55 vs 45
7500 - 60 vs 55
8000 - 60 vs 60
8500 - 65 vs 65
9000 - 70 vs 68
9500 - 80 vs 80
10000 - 81 vs 85
10500 - 82 vs 90
11000 - 85 vs 93
11500 - 88 vs 95
12000 - 86 vs 100
12500 - 82 vs 92

So pretty much what I said from my butt dyno. The flat spot in the midrange between 6k and 8k is killing the r6 cams compared to the FZ6 ones but the real low end stuff is almost identical. The high end stuff the R6 cams take control and if the operator had actually run it to the limiter we'd probably see the r6 cams hold the power up until the limiter at the top end as it certainly doens't drop off like the FZ6 cams do.

Without that dip I'd probably say the R6 cams give a nicer smoother delivery overall but the dip does spoil it a bit.

I wonder how much will come out with a tune, don't know yet.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Have you done anything to your airbox? Typically a modern stock airbox will make more power in the low and midrange than a swiss cheese one.

Also the airbox of the R6 is significantly different from the FZ6. In addition to ram-air it is much larger and the air filter set up is really beautiful. It's a large foam dome over the V stacks. It's really a nice set up. I'm sure Mr. Yamaha tuned the air box to the goals of the motor.

Have you compared the fuel injectors between the R6 and the FZ6? I wonder if they are the same? I'm thinking the duty cycle maybe greater with the R6 ones. Not sure.

0l0dom0l0

Reaction score
Visit site
Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Have you done anything to your airbox? Typically a modern stock airbox will make more power in the low and midrange than a swiss cheese one.

Also the airbox of the R6 is significantly different from the FZ6. In addition to ram-air it is much larger and the air filter set up is really beautiful. It's a large foam dome over the V stacks. It's really a nice set up. I'm sure Mr. Yamaha tuned the air box to the goals of the motor.

Have you compared the fuel injectors between the R6 and the FZ6? I wonder if they are the same? I'm thinking the duty cycle maybe greater with the R6 ones. Not sure.

Nope nothing to the airbox. All standard. I did look at the R6 airbox but I'm pretty sure it won't fit under the tank and certainly doesn't look to have the spare for the battery, although maybe wrong.

The dip in the curve I'm 90% sure is an air tuning peak so basically where something isn't quite right.

Not compared the fuel injectors either, again it's difficult to know. I did try and get the specs for both but couldn't find any.

I was also pulling dynos up of numbers from the 5SL R6. I'd say at best there are probably making 110 - 115 hp so if my numbers are correct and I'm making 105 once tuned in then I'd say that's pretty good going.

I really really want to buy the set of akrapovic downpipes I linked to earlier in the thread and try those to see what the gains are / if any but money Is tight right now so I can't afford them or the custom map.

I also really want to try the race cam sprockets that seem to be like gold dust.

I reckon we could push to 110 hp with the sprockets, exhaust and custom map.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot about this thread...
Plenty of well know races shops are slotting the cam gears and with loctite, they live a happy life. So one option is to pull them and slot them yourself or buy an extra pair and slot them.
But Id start w a degree wheel and find out where they are now.
That dip is a huge turnoff so let me say I have a vested interest in seeing if it's fixable. I would start by ignition advance 5.0° as it's cheap, easy and you can put it back if you don't like it. Also run cooler plugs (10's) and better fuel. It will help...
ECU unleashed ran a promo of any flash for $400 USD so there that. I wrote them twice but they didn't reply about what the stock ignition advance curve is now (by gear) and what they intend to do with it. I do know 1st, 2nd, and to a lesser extent 3rd are NOT optimal as 3rd and 4th pull like crazy with a static advance of 11.5° vs oem 5°....
Try the trigger mod.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A favor please can you grab your FZ6 cams and measure from the center of cam to the center of the bolt holes and to valley of the teeth and the peak of the teeth.
I would like to calculate how much to slot the gears. So the hole diameter would be good to know too.
Another option is to photocopy as pdf so it offers size. Please state size of paper!

Thanks!

0l0dom0l0

Reaction score
Visit site
A favor please can you grab your FZ6 cams and measure from the center of cam to the center of the bolt holes and to valley of the teeth and the peak of the teeth.
I would like to calculate how much to slot the gears. So the hole diameter would be good to know too.
Another option is to photocopy as pdf so it offers size. Please state size of paper!

Thanks!

Sure.

Just curious - when you say advance the exhaust by 3 degrees if the standard is inlet 105 Deg ATDC/Exh 105 Deg BTDC will the exhaust move to 102 or 108?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
108°, yes... But check it first. Who knows where it really landed.

That should even out the curve and not hurt the top much. Plus no fear of valve piston contact as the pistons on the way down AND you are advancing it.

Look up the thread
Finalimpact Project; playing with Trigger. Hopefully the pictures are still there.

How to mod the trigger wheel. You could likely do it in less than an hour if you have an impact gun.

Last edited:

0l0dom0l0

Reaction score
Visit site
Gents,

Thought I'd update this for anyone who finds this thread in the future.

Went back to the FZ6 cams the other week, got sick of the hole in the midrange on the R6 cams, it made the bike useless on the road and I wasn't convinced it was running right in the upper rev band too. Also got sick of the overfuelling at really low RPM.

Would have probably been better with a map, and I suspect you could have got away with getting rid of the dip if I had an ignition module and tuning that too.

But I can report that on stock cams with a custom map, the bike is really nice all round in comparison and I'm glad I went back to the originals (even if it is down on out right power) over the R6 cams.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me ask, did you ever check the cam timing?
102° ILC and 105°ELC is said to be the sweet spot.
And did you ever advance the ignition trigger wheel? These two items could be the needle in the haystack to humble the flat spot and help the bottom end.