R6 big bore kit...can it work on an FZ6?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's one i have been thinking about....JE Pistons make a 637cc big bore kit for the 2001-2005 R6 motor....obviously a re-bore, & re-plate would be required, as the barrels are knickasel coated, but my question is, would these pistons work in an FZ6 motor...from what i have managed to find on this subject, it looks as if the FZ6 & 01-05 R6 share the same part number for pistons & rings.....

Am also wondering what else might need to be done, and what sort of hp & torque gains that might be gained???

anyone got any thoughts?

:thumbup:

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Stroke length could also be an issue :confused: unless like you say,they run the same piston.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
99% sure they will work as bore and stroke are the same between the two motors.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
might have to do a few dyno runs to get the air/fuel down right, but cant see it being to much of a problem... although i would buy a used fz6 motor to try it out :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The main thing I've heard is different on the engines is the cam and the CPU mapping. Of course there are also differences because of the frame to engine mounting but you're not changing that. Bet the r6 cam will bolt right up and you'd get it dyno'd again anyway so there's the new MAP...Hmmm! Interesting!

Hope you're on the mend Jamie. Obviously you are!

Later,
Cliff

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just spoke to the guy who would do it....engine builder with bucket loads of experience.....he cant see why it cant be done...will cost a bit...as getting the thing re-lined with nikasel is going to cost about $1000.....

engine will need to be split. etc, so it's not a quick fix, but as pistons and rings are the same...it should be do-able.....

A 2mm bigger bore, is going to make quite a difference power wise, and with a good tune.....doesnt think there is a need to play with injectors, apparently they should have enough in them to be adjusted to the difference, i should gain about another 10-15 hp, and increased torque....

am thinking about it.....hmmmmm

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
waiting for a price on the kit....it seems that it is quite do-able, compression is 12;5;1, and pistons and rings are same for both motors....i might just do this!

:rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
waiting for a price on the kit....it seems that it is quite do-able, compression is 12;5;1, and pistons and rings are same for both motors....i might just do this!

:rockon:
What about the R6 cam? Since you're in there. From what I've read I think it will go nicely with your new setup. I bet it'll bolt right up. :rockon:

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps try a zx636 first for comparison? Personally I'd just buy a bike with a bigger engine and save the hassle.

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
I can understand the thought of buying a bigger bike etc etc. But I would rather have the bike I own now make more power and go quicker/faster. Its more fun building it up on your own than just buying something. You respect it more and feel like it is truly yours.

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
I would be interested to see if there are any consequences to the mod. Such as twisting the frame.
I know that alot of older bikes in the past where the owners upgrade the engines to the larger capacity from the bigger versions there were issues with frames twisting and braking.

Seriously though the revhead in me would like to see it done.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I'd rather see the FZ6 Turbo Project get a little more detail and/or a production run of materials.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would be interested to see if there are any consequences to the mod. Such as twisting the frame.
I know that alot of older bikes in the past where the owners upgrade the engines to the larger capacity from the bigger versions there were issues with frames twisting and braking.

Seriously though the revhead in me would like to see it done.

We are only talking a 5 to 10 percent bump in hp, hopefully more, and the FZ frame is light years ahead of the old mild steel tube frames so it won't be a problem at all.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
99% sure they will work as bore and stroke are the same between the two motors.

Agreed, bore & Stroke are the same but the compression ratios are different, don't know if it will matter? Good luck with it, looking forward to hearing more :thumbup:

01-05 R6
Bore X Stroke: 65.5 X 44.5 mm (2.58 X 1.75 in)
Compression Ratio: 12.40 : 1

06-07 FZ6
Bore X Stroke: 65.5 X 44.5 mm (2.58 X 1.75 in)
Compression Ratio: 12.20 : 1