Quick Help Please--What is This Part That Fell out?

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick Help Please--What is This Part That Fell out--FOUND IT!!

During Givi FZ351 install, I was pulling up on the exhaust cover with the Givi round support on the right bolted in and struggling with the left underside bolt. It is a plastic grommet. It looks like but is NOT the grommet that the forward slot of the exhaust cover slides into. They are both intact and installed. This one fell out from underneath somewhere?

Anyone have any idea where another one of these goes? Thanks!

3dca6761.jpg

Edited to add, thanks to Goker's Givi install instructions, I found this pic, which I'm 99% sure is where the grommet came from. I did NOT pull the exhaust cover off to check because one side of the freakin' Givi support bar on and I was NOT going to go through that again! Anyone know what plugs in here and should be okay without the grommet?

fz6grommets.jpg

Last edited:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's hard to be sure of scale, but It looks a bit like one of the pieces that holds the tail light lens in place. They are a pain to reinstall, as I recall.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are four grommets that hold the heat shield in place. Two are ones that the heat shield slides on to, and as I recall they are grey-ish. The other two have bolts that go through them that you had to remove to get the heat shield off. Labeled "20" in the pic I am attaching. Could that be it?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are some silicone based, high temp, rubbers/washers on the OEM exhaust can assembly. Probably to mount the plastic exhaust shroud to. Check, I think there are 4 of them.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
There are four grommets that hold the heat shield in place. Two are ones that the heat shield slides on to, and as I recall they are grey-ish. The other two have bolts that go through them that you had to remove to get the heat shield off. Labeled "20" in the pic I am attaching. Could that be it?

Thanks. Those were close, but both sides are captured and equal, with it looking like the rubber grommets are in place. Part 2 seems to have both sides of the "wheel" equal, where this part has a smaller side.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
During Givi FZ351 install, I was pulling up on the exhaust cover with the Givi round support on the right bolted in and struggling with the left underside bolt. It is a plastic grommet. It looks like but is NOT the grommet that the forward slot of the exhaust cover slides into. They are both intact and installed. This one fell out from underneath somewhere?

Anyone have any idea where another one of these goes? Thanks!

3dca6761.jpg

I took a closer look at the picture. I don't know what you're holding onto, but what is under the green rag?

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pod cover off for any reason?

Are you sure its not from the Auto or something else you were tinkering with? Can't imagine why a properly installed rubber would fall out for no reason. . . :eek: :D

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
So thanks to the help here I looked up my 2009 bike on the Ronayers site, and the part numbers are different:

Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2009>FZS6YL/FZS6YB/FZS6YCL/FZS6YCB>EXHAUST

And it isn't part #16, but more like Part #22 that fell out. But I know the two lower ones that the exhaust cover slides onto are intact. And I never removed bracket #20, so I don't know how they would have come out. What I can't tell is in the diagram, is where the part #22 that is in the upper most part of the diagram attaches to. Anyone have any ideas? Are there maybe male parts on the inside of the exhaust cover that snap into grommets on the rearmost part of the exhaust? I can't tell, but don't remember seeing them there when I pulled off the cover. Thanks.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
To illustrate my question. I can't tell where the upper right part 22 goes. It looks like there are grooves in the exhaust bracketry right near the end of the exhaust, but I don't remember having to snap any part of the exhaust cover in there. Makes sense though as I was lifting the exhaust cover out trying to get the left side of the %&^$%%#@ Givi support in. And I was not about to take the other side off to look for a grommet attachment point!

FZ6Exhaust.jpg

Last edited:

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to Goker's Givi install instructions, I found this pic from his instructions. I've highlighted the spot I'm 99% sure is where the grommet came from. I did NOT pull the exhaust cover off to check because one side of the freakin' Givi support bar on and I was NOT going to go through that again! Anyone know what plugs in here and should be okay without the grommet?

fz6grommets.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To illustrate my question. I can't tell where the upper right part 22 goes. It looks like there are grooves in the exhaust bracketry right near the end of the exhaust, but I don't remember having to snap any part of the exhaust cover in there. Makes sense though as I was lifting the exhaust cover out trying to get the left side of the %&^$%%#@ Givi support in. And I was not about to take the other side off to look for a grommet attachment point!

FZ6Exhaust.jpg

Yes that part in your picture called out as #22 is the same part #16 as called out in the Ron Ayers link I sent you. Yes you should install it unless you think whatever it's purpose is not needed. It is a silicone base rubber that resists breakdown from heat and I imagine you'll feel better having it assembled properly.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The highlighted (in yellow, right?) parts of your picture are the rear-most two grommets that provide support for the heat shield. The are more grey than black though, and I think that the one in your original picture was black, right? Actually, looking again it could well be grey. I hate to say it but it looks like you're gonna have to take that heat shield off again. The rear support grommets hold some plastic pin-shaped pieces up on the heat shield that I don't think can be seen when you're installing the heat shield. You may want to see if you can get a picture of that part number to confirm before you go uninstalling that Givi bracket to get at it. If it is a heat shield support grommet, you want it back in place before the muffler gets hot again.