Quick Help Please--What is This Part That Fell out?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on that plus those are a lot easier to fall out

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
I just confirmed at home it is the grommet that a little male part on the underside of the heat shield slides into. AND, I found the other one lodged between the shield and muffler, so it's out too! Here is a pic with my iPhone of the male part of the heat shield centered in the hole without the grommet. You can't tell it from the pic, but the male protrusuion of the shield :)eek:) is actually centered perfectly in the hole of the exhaust, with several mm of clearance all the way around.

I can't get the heat shield to budge--it is held in with the screws on top and slid onto the grommets at the front. I may replace the grommets someday, but the Givi install was a B!TC#! and would have to be undone. I actually can't believe how symmetrical the bike is at this point with the same clearance all around the male part. And actually I believe the Givi support arm is helping to hold the heat shield because I can't budge it.

Anyone think I'll have problems if I don't replace the grommets?

c01ff17a.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just confirmed at home it is the grommet that a little male part on the underside of the heat shield slides into. AND, I found the other one lodged between the shield and muffler, so it's out too! Here is a pic with my iPhone of the male part of the heat shield centered in the hole without the grommet. You can't tell it from the pic, but the male protrusuion of the shield :)eek:) is actually centered perfectly in the hole of the exhaust, with several mm of clearance all the way around.

I can't get the heat shield to budge--it is held in with the screws on top and slid onto the grommets at the front. I may replace the grommets someday, but the Givi install was a B!TC#! and would have to be undone. I actually can't believe how symmetrical the bike is at this point with the same clearance all around the male part. And actually I believe the Givi support arm is helping to hold the heat shield because I can't budge it.

Anyone think I'll have problems if I don't replace the grommets?

c01ff17a.jpg

That's what I was thinking it was from. You may hear rattle or vibrating back there and I'm not sure but those metal brackets may get hot enough to melt the pins in the exhaust shroud if they touch the metal. Also there is an upper part of the shroud that may be resting on an even hotter section of the exhaust can. The pins are what keep the shroud off of the hot parts through the grommets.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As I recall those grommets are intended to eliminate all direct contact with the muffler, and they only work if they're all in place. It MIGHT be OK without them, but I wouldn't chance it. And it is a royal pain to get back in there once brackets are in place. Also I have the SW-Motech quick-release sidecase brackets, and about 6 months after installing them, after about 5 rides without the cases on, I noticed that I had lost one of the brackets that mounts under the muffler to the fender bounty bolt. It had not had any threadlock that I could tell, nor did I think it should what with it being right against the muffler, and I torqued it to spec, but I still lost the bracket. Twisted Throttle wad great about replacing that part for a reasonable price and shipping quickly. I decided to use threadlock on it, blue, and haven't had any problems since. I threadlocked all of the other SW-Motech bracket mounting bolts whole I was on there. No problems since. I hate using it near heat though.