Quick and dirty 12v outlet

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
The quick:

You might already have an SAE-type dongle dangling off your battery to connect to a battery charger:

picture.php

Get yourself an SAE-to-12v outlet adapter:

picture.php

The dirty:

The outlet isn't switched so you risk draining the battery if you leave something plugged in with the engine off.

It isn't fused or waterproof.

Secure the cable to your tank bag or whatever to keep it out of harms way.

From the looks of that pic, it apparently makes the inside of your fairing dusty. :eek:

--

BurnsMoto - SAE to Cigarette Socket Cable

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-Connector-Battery-Charger-Maintainer/dp/B003WDDLTO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308009460&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Schumacher WM-12 Cable Connector for Battery Charger/Maintainer: Automotive[/ame]

Last edited:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The quick:

You might already have an SAE-type dongle dangling off your battery to connect to a battery charger:

attachment.php

Get yourself an SAE-to-12v outlet adapter:

attachment.php

The dirty:

The outlet isn't switched so you risk draining the battery if you leave something plugged in with the engine off.

It isn't fused or waterproof.

Secure the cable to your tank bag or whatever to keep it out of harms way.

From the looks of that pic, it apparently makes the inside of your fairing dusty. :eek:

--

BurnsMoto - SAE to Cigarette Socket Cable

Amazon.com: Schumacher WM-12 Cable Connector for Battery Charger/Maintainer: Automotive

That is a good idea, i would buy one of these and splice the battery charger cable in. They are cheaper and have rubber caps on them and you get 2 for $4.99:

12 Volt Dual Outlet Adapter

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I have one of these for my GPS. I figured the GPS has a fuse in it already and I'll just remember to unplug it when the bike is off. Quick and easy.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have taped (as tasteful as possible) a 12V outlet the handlebar. This enables me to recharge my mobile phone with the original "car"charger cable attached to the phone which is in my pocket. When driving on highways I always listen to music (Phone => Bluetooth => Interphone F4).

The 12V outlet includes a little rupper cap making it as waterproof as possible (when not in use). I could take a picture... if any interest?

The battery charger dongle I got is a different brand/type, so I just cut the 12V outlet cable and connected it directly to the battery. And yes it works when engine is not on... I guess it's not zapping the battery when nothing is plugged in... or?

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the battery tender dongle to power the accessories like grip heaters and 12v power supply. I put a 12v relay in line so when the lights come on the accessories are powered. This does not work out to well at the campsite when you need to charge you phone, but at least I wont drain the battery.

When winter comes, I take the dongle off of the accessories circuit and plug in the tender.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
And yes it works when engine is not on... I guess it's not zapping the battery when nothing is plugged in... or?

Yeah, you should be fine. If nothing is plugged in to the outlet, there shouldn't be any current being drawn from the battery. :thumbup:

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, you should be fine. If nothing is plugged in to the outlet, there shouldn't be any current being drawn from the battery. :thumbup:

Even if it was the case I believe it should take weeks before that ever happened with a relatively fresh battery. The bike is NEVER just parked for that long during bike season... Luckily weather isn't that bad!

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have a weatherproof outlet connected directly to the battery, it has been that way for a year now and I have never had a low battery.