Another 12 volt outlet and Nav mount

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me start this by saying thank you to Sanger_A2. He may not know it but I looked at his site to see how he did his 12 volt charger and mounted a bar to clamp a GPS/Phone onto and then I essentially copied it. So Sanger your the man thank you.

Alright so first I bought these
View attachment 36635

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPPS-16ES-Extension-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B001JT7B3A/ref=pd_sim_auto_11"]Amazon.com: RoadPro RPPS-16ES 12V 6' Extension Power Cord with Cigarette Lighter Socket: Automotive[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00453AYGI"]Amazon.com: Cellet Phone & PDA Holder - Style 4 For Bicycle Handle Bar W/ Rotating Base: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

the headphone cable extension I already owned pretty sure it was radioshack

Then I wrapped the cables of the 12v outlet in electrical tape since it was annoying having 2 5 foot long cable going everywhere. I also put ends on the cable. I put a ring end on the negative lead and quick disconnect for the positive since I was adding a 1 amp quick blow fuse at the battery. (forgot to take photo of the fuses but is like this one from radioshack 5-Amp Inline Fuse Holder for 5x20mm Fuses - RadioShack.com
View attachment 36636

Next I had to make a mounting bracket for the 12 Volt plug. I took a piece of scrap metal and bent and shaped it using a table vice a hammer and wedges. I smoothed the edges with a grinder.

The almost final product
View attachment 36637

Next I mounted it onto the left turn signal bracket.

View attachment 36638

View attachment 36640

Next I took sanger's idea and used a copper pipe mine was smaller in diameter (like 18mm) than his but it worked beautifully. flattened the ends of the pipe so I could fit it just above the instruments. You can see I also ran a headphone cable behind the instrument cluster along the pathway of all the cables to the battery and then it comes out just by the seat.

Bar mounted with phone holder still need to paint just being lazy
View attachment 36641

Last edited:

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
the headphone plug coming out by the seat.

View attachment 36646

Now I did have some problems with the 12 volt socket catching on the plastic of the forks so I took my dremel and shaved it down so it no longer catches.
View attachment 36644

I also did a Bremzen SS brake line install but didn't take any pics.:spank::spank:

Last edited:
D

Dave.TX

I went to West Marine and got an outlet there, then mounted it here:

FxCam_1316551832888.jpg

It isn't that noticeable and easy to get to. The plastic cap keeps moisture and dust out. It's wired to the battery with an inline fuse and thus always powered so have to remember to unplug anything I might be using (now a GPS) so the battery doesn't drain.

LCR

Reaction score
Visit site
...... It's wired to the battery with an inline fuse and thus always powered so have to remember to unplug anything I might be using (now a GPS) so the battery doesn't drain.

Yes, always remember to unplug it. I killed the battery on one of my GSXRs with my set up. :(

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FxCam_1316551832888.jpg

It isn't that noticeable and easy to get to. The plastic cap keeps moisture and dust out. It's wired to the battery with an inline fuse and thus always powered so have to remember to unplug anything I might be using (now a GPS) so the battery doesn't drain.

I think I got the same one at West Marine! Decent quality and that cap keeps junk out.

Yes, always remember to unplug it. I killed the battery on one of my GSXRs with my set up. :(

Got you guys covered with a killer power relay. Write up tomorrow. Simple to install. Key off, power off.....Pretty bullet proof.

There are other reasons not to have an outlet direct to the battery at all times but we'll discuss that later.

roleya

Reaction score
Visit site

FxCam_1316551832888.jpg

I got my 08 FZ6 with that exact plug in that exact location, and the plug and wiring connections all the way up to the battery had been corroded. I replaced it with a 12V outlet I got at cyclegear for my previous bike SKU : WEB1007420 made by trackside, which has been completely waterproof from my experience of frequent riding in the rain and occasionally leaving outside without decent covering.