GPS Mount with USB Charging Setup

F

FZ6 Naked!

Well, my first attempt at USB charging failed miserably.http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/39560-12v-cigarette-lighter-power-adapter-naked-bike.html The USB Cigarette adapter for the cigarette plug would rattle loose, so I had to bend up the contacts to make it stick better. Then my Micro-B end (the one that plugs into the phone) rotted out because I couldn't find a waterproof cap. Since I was running the USB from under the seat to the handlebars, I felt it was necessary to have it permanently attached, so I couldn't just leave it in a bag until needed. Using the bike as a commuter means days in the rain.

Here is my new, improved charging solution! Here is the list of all equipment needed:

Lead for a battery tender - came with my Optimate 3
There are newer versions of this, so no link provided

Waterproof USB adapter
BurnsMoto - Motorcycle, ATV, Boat, RV - USB Weatherproof Power Socket - USB Charger with optional SAE to USB
The guy running this is amazing. I had some issues (probably my doing) and he went the extra mile to make sure that I was happy. I recommend him.

Adapter to plug into tender lead
It looked like this thing:
TowerHobbies.com | DTXC2200 DuraTrax Old Kyosho Charger Standard Battery Adapter

6" Micro-B USB cable (whatever USB cable you need will work)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Inch-Micro-USB-Cable/dp/B003YKX6WM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336820864&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: StarTech.com 6 Inch Micro USB Cable - A to Micro B (UUSBHAUB6 Inch): Electronics[/ame]

This beautiful setup is completely hidden when not in use except for the cap on the tender lead. When it's time to ride, I pull the cables from a plastic bag under the seat and attach it to my GPS Setup! The mount system I use is a RAM mount and I absolutely love it. My GPS is an HTC Desire HD phone.

The mount is a RAM Mount system:
The Telferizer Custom Motorcycle RAM mounts for GPS Systems
For some reason, the site doesn't actually show the mount I have, though it's amazing. It goes into any one of the 4 screw positions that mount the handlebars. I e-mailed Telferizer and they were responsive and helpful with my options. I couldn't ask for a better mount or more helpful company.

I found a RAM mounted case on e-bay for the phone and bought it up:
SlipGrip RAM Mount For HTC Desire HD Otterbox Defender | eBay

It's not the cheapest setup, but living out in England means that you're almost guaranteed rain! Everything I'm setting up is with the intent to be England-proof. All I'm really missing is a nice waterproof case that I like... Most of them look so bulky and ugly that it makes me throw up in my mouth a little. One day I'll look again for a waterproof case that fits my phone and isn't super fat... of course, on that day I'll accidentally break my phone and opt for a different model that no longer fits the case ;) Not to worry, someday I'll get a good touring, all-weather GPS setup... Queue the wistful music...

Have a cool setup? Post it up so people can see! I get most of my ideas from the forum and am happy to contribute what I can in return. Happy riding!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Have a cool setup? Post it up so people can see! I get most of my ideas from the forum and am happy to contribute what I can in return. Happy riding!
I used to use a solid plastic Otterbox that I had to open to press buttons on. Recently I've bought one of these from Hein Gericke that you may be interested in. In the UK here you're pretty much guaranteed to get rain when riding, so it's pretty much essential if you don't have an expensive waterproof GPS! Trouble is, it would negate a lot of your Purchases! :D It fits fine to a 22mm handle-bar. I've just popped outside to check it with the Yamaha top clamp and it works even better. I had to make something to stop it sliding around with the custom sat nav mounting bar I made up for my bike - but with the Yamaha top clamp it stays in place beautifully!

You can see it mounted to a different bike with normal bar clamps here.
satnavpouch173.jpg