Question about the rear grab handle

Monter

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello guys,

Several months ago I had a crash with my bike, and I had to repair most of its plastic parts - huge scratches on the mask and the right light, broken side spoiler under the seat, scratched tank and broken rear grab handle.

Most of my bike is already fixed and looking like brand new, but I was having issues finding the rear grab handle - it is very expensive if I get it from the Yamaha dealership in my country, and I was told that the alloy it was made from did not allow any kind of welding.
I was able to partially assemble it by drilling a couple of wholes and attaching the broken part with bolts, but they are very thin and I don't believe that this is the best solution.

Anyway, I was able to find a rear grab handle on a price I could afford, which was detached from an Yamaha FZ6 Fazer from 2009 but my doubt here is if this handle would fit on my bike, since it is Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2 from 2006 .

I tried finding part manual on the internet, but wasn't able to. The handlebars look exactly the same to me, but I'm afraid that there might be difference in the clips, bolts and other assembly specifics.

I will add some photos when I have the chance.

I'd appreciate any advice on this one.
Thank you in advance !

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's fz6 fazer or fz6, it will fit but... xj6 (or named fz6R outside of eu zone) grab handle can't be fitted to our bikes. Maybe some photos will help to make a decision.

Also, I've looked the partzilla site for parts number. S1 and S2's grab handle part number is exactly same so 2004-2008 fz6's grab handle is exactly same expect color.

won't fit:
$_57.JPG

will fit:
$_57.JPG

Last edited:

Monter

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the quick response:thumbup: ! My bike is an FZ6 Fazer S2, and it has the exact same rear handle as the second picture you attached. You mentioned that 2004-2008 bikes have the same handle, but what do you think about 2009 ? The handle I found is from a 2009 fazer 600.

If it's fz6 fazer or fz6, it will fit but... xj6 (or named fz6R outside of eu zone) grab handle can't be fitted to our bikes. Maybe some photos will help to make a decision.

Also, I've looked the partzilla site for parts number. S1 and S2's grab handle part number is exactly same so 2004-2008 fz6's grab handle is exactly same expect color.

won't fit:
$_57.JPG

will fit:
$_57.JPG

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the quick response:thumbup: ! My bike is an FZ6 Fazer S2, and it has the exact same rear handle as the second picture you attached. You mentioned that 2004-2008 bikes have the same handle, but what do you think about 2009 ? The handle I found is from a 2009 fazer 600.

What he meant was that any grab assy from an '04-'09 will work.

Just be sure that its not grab bars for an FZ6R which were also made in 2009 (and up).

[MENTION=3172]skooter65[/MENTION] might be the guy to hook you up with something

Monter

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks ! That's great news. I appreciate the suggestion for the colleague too, but I'm in Europe and the shipping costs are way too expensive even for small packages coming from the US. I'll keep it in mind though :)

What he meant was that any grab assy from an '04-'09 will work.

Just be sure that its not grab bars for an FZ6R which were also made in 2009 (and up).

[MENTION=3172]skooter65[/MENTION] might be the guy to hook you up with something

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Europe and the shipping costs are way too expensive even for small packages coming from the US. I'll keep it in mind though :)

Well.. I'd check into it anyway. I just parted out a 'zuki GS500 engine and shipped quite a few parts across the pond. It didnt really seem to be that awefully expensive. Sure ended up being cheaper than buying new from the stealerships!

Monter

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a free afternoon last weekend and decided to play a bit with the handle. It actually turned out pretty great and became quite solid.
I can actually lift the bike from the broken side of the handle and I can say it wouldn't break.

In the rear of the handle I drilled a couple of wholes and inserted two tenons (4mm) with nuts on each side to attach the broken handle to the main element. I used two types of drills - a 4mm for the tenons and a 6mm to drill a little bit into the tenon wholes so I could hide the nuts inside. It actually turned out pretty great - after some additional grinding, I got a clean flat surface ready for paste and painting.

In the front of the handle I had 3 elements to attach - the handle, the part where the bolt attaches to the frame of the bike and one thin strip, which lays near the seat of the bike. We used a custom cut 4mm steel plate to stand as a holding base for all 3 elements. Also this steel plate is tough enough to take the tension when lifting the bike from that side of the handle.

Here are some photos before the painting job was done.

IMG_20150704_151054_679.jpg IMG_20150704_151104_602.jpg IMG_20150704_151116_519.jpg
IMG_20150704_151124_318.jpg IMG_20150704_151135_863.jpg IMG_20150704_151145_282.jpg
IMG_20150704_172014_700.jpg IMG_20150704_172041_356.jpg IMG_20150704_172053_729.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very handy with the drill / "fix".

If you ride with a pilion or use the grab rails for tying down things on the seat, I'd still replace it.

Its not worth loosing your cargo over..

If Skooter 65 doesn't have one, keep looking.

I've shipped all over the world and if you can keep the WEIGHT to a minimum , ship FIRST CLASS in the smallest box possible, its not bad.

Here's a link for USPS(about the cheapest to mail); https://www.usps.com/ Get a weight and approx size of YOURS and put in the #'s, location, etc. That'll get you a ball park $. Buying new and shipping oversea's, they usually jack the price up considerably (probably because of the Customs form)..

Monter

Reaction score
Visit site
Appreciate the advice. I'll keep looking or get a new one if I manage to save up enough money. Until then I'll be riding with this handle without getting too much load on it.

Here are some photos after the paint job :

New.jpg New1.jpg New2.jpg