Puig Windscreen on 07

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Well here's the first mod of several for this week. This is the Puig racing windscreen for the 07/08 fairing. It took the guys at the local Cycle Gear store a bit to find a supplier who carried it. The color is regular smoke.

I'm noticing in general there are not too many aftermarket parts of the FZ6, and even fewer for the 07.

The install was dirt simple and took all of about 5 minutes.

I haven't ridden with it yet as the back half of the bike is on the garage floor waiting on the Akrapovic... Tomorrow they tell me, just like yesterday! :(

Pete

Hay pete, I do alot of motorway riding and my neck kills me after a long trip with the stock screen. Since there are just so many types out there I'm trying to weight up the pros and cons of what screen to go with. You seem to like your one alot and it looks amazing. I've seen the really tall screen on some bikes and I'm just afraid it will compromise the look of the bike yet my neck is more important.

Does your screen give you good wind protection, where do you feel the wind now with the new screen? (top of helmet, eye level, shoulders?)

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
Does your screen give you good wind protection, where do you feel the wind now with the new screen? (top of helmet, eye level, shoulders?)

I'm 6'5. The stock screen put a ton of very turbulent air right at my throat. Very uncomfortable. The Puig racing double bubble design seems to push the air both higher and wider, so I feel it all around the perimeter of my head and shoulders and much ceaner air. Just wind, not turbulence. With stock, over about 40 I felt like I was getting cross winds even when there was no wind. Now 80 feels like 40 - stonger wind, but clean, no feeling of turbulence or cross wind. Hope that helps.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hay pete, I do alot of motorway riding and my neck kills me after a long trip with the stock screen. Since there are just so many types out there I'm trying to weight up the pros and cons of what screen to go with. You seem to like your one alot and it looks amazing. I've seen the really tall screen on some bikes and I'm just afraid it will compromise the look of the bike yet my neck is more important.

It is better than stock, not a huge difference but better. I've not had any issues with neck and shoulder stiffness after long ride. Numb right hand is about it.

It does do a very good job of keeping the blast off of my chest.

The next question is how tall are you? I'm 6' even, with a bit more torso than leg. My head is above the windscreen and the wind breaks right at the base of my helmet so I do end up with more wind noise. Now I do typically wear ear plugs on long rides.

Here's a thought. Perhaps a lower bar might help??? The thought behind this is by leaning forward a bit more you are no longer having to pull yourself upright. Does that make sence?

So I guess bottomline, it will help but it is not the miricle solution.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 5'10" and with my Puig Racing screen, the wind moved from my chest to the visor which then pushes right over the top of my head. It was, for me, a 100% improvement as I found the stock screen unusable and a waste of plastic. The bike would be better off naked! The Puig is my favorite mod to date. Best money spent!

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
i was hoping for a single reply in such a short period of time! :) I guess your all on here in force today...thanks for all the replies! :)

Yes I understand what you mean hellgate, the only problem is that i like to sit upright, my wrists hurt if I lean too much on the long ride. I'm 5' 8" so i'm a good 6 inches shorter then yourself...it may just do the trick. Thanks man, i'll be putting in my order this evening. Now...if anyone from Europe (preferably UK or anywhere near to here) knows of a good dealership for Puig then let me know! :) Today is the day I got my full pay check in 7 months...and its spending time!!! I'm going to see Joe Satriani in concert tonight too...money well spent!! :)

Y

yukon_alex

i was hoping for a single reply in such a short period of time! :) I guess your all on here in force today...thanks for all the replies! :)

Yes I understand what you mean hellgate, the only problem is that i like to sit upright, my wrists hurt if I lean too much on the long ride. I'm 5' 8" so i'm a good 6 inches shorter then yourself...it may just do the trick. Thanks man, i'll be putting in my order this evening. Now...if anyone from Europe (preferably UK or anywhere near to here) knows of a good dealership for Puig then let me know! :) Today is the day I got my full pay check in 7 months...and its spending time!!! I'm going to see Joe Satriani in concert tonight too...money well spent!! :)

Here's a thought. I rode for 4,300km to get my FZ6 home and kept thinking about the windscreen and other things while riding. It is stock and I did have a full tankbag and I found the wind to be non-obtrusive. It hit me just below the shoulders with no buffeting at all. I am 6'4" and tall through the body so that might have something to do with it.

However, just last weekend, I went for a ride without my tankbag. The wind was almost unbearable. There was a lot of buffeting, pressure on my chest and even swirling wind at stomach level. I believe that the wind passing over the front wheel and coming up into the still air pocket under the fairing is the culprit. I was exhausted after an hour and a half, more than I was after the 4 days I took to get home. I have returned my tankbag to its rightful place and it has been great since. Hmmm...I might look at a way to partially cover the big opening at the bottom of the fairing to see if it makes any difference. My old BMW R100RS had rubber seals around the fork legs where they came through the fairing, I wonder if the same sort of solution would work for the FZ?

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting observation on the tank bag. There's another thread here that talks about why that gap is there at the base of the screen. If I recall, it has something to do with avoiding the creating of a vacuum. I also recall someone complaining that (here my memory is quite fuzzy) if he obstructed that opening, that rain dripped vertically down his visor instead of horizontally. That's an indication that the air around his head was very still. That sounds like Nirvana (not the band) to me! I may try messing with clogging up the opening at the base of the screen and see what does. I may research it a bit on the forum in case someone has already concluded that the vent is there to prevent the fairing from ripping off the chassis and flying up into your face at speed.

I replaced the stock screen with the Puig Racing screen, and it improved the situation somewhat, but I still get turbulence which I'd really like to find a way to get rid of. Oddly, it's not all the time. Seems like less in the morning, more in the evening. I can tuck and get away from the turbulence, but I dn't like that riding position. So I've also order the Puig Touring screen to see how that works. I'm 6'1", and have aspirations of doing a handlebar mod that a taller person did that put them a bit closer to seat. I think I'd like that, but would make tucking even more uncomfortable.

Someone (maybe on this thread) suggested that the fairing was the source of the turbulence, which he concluded because if you stand while riding the air is smooth. You stand above the turbulent air the fairing causes around your head/shoulders. I tried that briefly and it seemed to be true. Not sure entirely what to make of that.

Y

yukon_alex

My theory is that the tankbag actually blocks air coming from underneath the fairing not under the windscreen. Of course, there is sometimes a disconnect between my theories and reality...but I am working on that!

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a chance to ride a kawasaki z1000 for a few hundred miles last month. I can tell you this, that bike has no fairing and no turbulent wind while riding. I know i love my fz but this thing was 10 times better in the wind category. So maybe the fairing does create a lot of our problem.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a problem with wind also on my '07 FZR, especially on the interstate. The ZR-7S I gave my son is a much smoother bike at speed windwise. Can't help but think it may be the fairing design.