Windshield mod - finally made the cut!

K

kevin-06fz6

I took my Puig off on the weekened and really liked how smoothly the air flowed, and there was ZERO buffetting and turbulence.

The bike looks really odd without a screen, so I decided to cut mine down and reinstall it. After reading lots about modding the windscreen here, I decided to take the advice found in other posts and do the mod today.

It took me all of an hour and it was way easier that I expected.

I decided to use hand tools and a lot of care. Here are the pics (the URLs didn't work so I attached pics instead):

First is a pic of the Puig DB that came with the bike when I bought it. Masked the center line and approximate cut line with blue painter's tape. Then I tied a string to the nose mounting hole and taped the string in the middle near the bottom of the screen. I created a loop at the other end of the string and used a sharpie to mark the arc (about 10 passes to make it almost symmetrical). I used two saws: a coping saw to start both ends of the cut (I didn't want the acrylic to crack on the far end of the cut, and a hand hack-saw with a 28T metal blade.

I laid the Puig down on a mat on my garage floor and used a up-and-down stabbing type motion to make the cut. I found this was more accurate than trying to hold the hand saw like a regular hacksaw. I also used a (gloved) hand to raise the cut piece slightly as I was cutting to create space for hacksaw blade.

The second pic is the screen after the cut. It was clean but the edge was still a bit rough:

I then used a propane plumber's torch and flamed the cut surface. I practiced on the cut-off piece first. It was surprising how much heat the acrylic can take and not deform. Just make sure the flame continually moves and don't allow the acrylic to heat up too much. (No pic with the flamed edge, sorry)

The fourth pic is the screen with the old edging and re-installed the screen on the bike. I was too tired (actually was having beers while working of course), so I'll test her tomorrow.

You can also see in the fourth pic my own "mod" for creating airflow under the screen. I bought a pack of rubber spacers from Autozone and just tucked one under the nose part of the screen (after removing the nose mounting screw). Worked well for the full sized Puig. It should be the same if not better for the newly resized screen too.

Last edited by a moderator:

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
id love to see pics, but none show up:confused:

im 6'4" and i hate that the wind that is deflected is directid right at my helmet/upper chest:(

if i raise up on the pegs on the highway it all goes away so this sounds very promising

K

kevin-06fz6

I took the bike to work this morning (it was around 35 degrees!) and I'm happy to report that at 5'6" with handlebar risers the buffeting is GONZO! Air flow is nice and laminar. Best $0 mod to date!

Last edited by a moderator:

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Thanks for posting.

I have been meaning to do something like this for years. I tried the stock windshield, the tall yamaha windshield, and now I have a Puig. The buffeting has always been horrible.

I'd like to keep the bike looking good and was going to try cutting a big NACA duct in the bottom of my stock shield, but I never got around to it.

Maybe I'll get around to it this year....

K

kevin-06fz6

Thanks for posting.

I have been meaning to do something like this for years. I tried the stock windshield, the tall yamaha windshield, and now I have a Puig. The buffeting has always been horrible.

I'd like to keep the bike looking good and was going to try cutting a big NACA duct in the bottom of my stock shield, but I never got around to it.

Maybe I'll get around to it this year....

I highly recommend this mod! I wanted to do the NACA duct but I haven't come across one picture of a bike with DIY ducts that looked any good. In my opinion the cut-down version of the screen on my bike still looks great, and the venting I created with the rubber spacer is undetectable except up close.

In retrospect I should have done this BEFORE my 4000 mile road trip last fall. It would have saved some of my hearing I'm sure!