Problems downshifting (mechanical)

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Well even though its not really riding season up here anymore I'd like to try and get my bike lined out for next year so I don't have to waste riding time working on it.

On the last few rides I went on, my shifting has gotten worse and worse. When I downshift the shifter does not return and has in fact gotten harder to downshift. I have to nudge it up with my foot. I have messed with the linkage, everything is clean and lubed on the outside so I have to guess that its something internal.

Upshifts are normal, returns well. Only on downshift.

Another thing I have noticed as well as others that have felt my clutch, seems to be extremely stiff.

Any ideas on this would be great. Thanks

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
It's possible the clutch isn't fully engaging, is that lubed and everything? A new cable is cheap enough.

You said you already checked the lever/linkage/joints, so if it's internal you're looking at a bigger problem.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
This also happened to me once when my oil got low, I still do not know where it went to this day, hasn't dropped any before or after :confused: But yeah, same symptoms, would upshift fine but not return when downshifting.

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'm probably going to buy a new clutch this winter, ive been kinda rough on this one and its starting to show. Hopefully the combo of the new clutch and cables along with checking the internals on the shifter should solve it.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
This isn't a clutch issue at all as you have stated that it upshifts properly.

Pull the shifter shaft cover and look at the return spring and shaft for damage. My guess is that the spring is broken and is interfering with the shaft and the stopper arm. It's very easy and quick to inspect this area (an hour or so), and cheap to replace any of the components that might be damaged, less than $40 if you include a new shift and gasket.

Hope this helps..

********​
EDIT: You might have a clutch cable issue as you have noted the stiff operation. However, this is NOT related to the shifter return problem, IMO.
********​

Last edited:

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does this sometimes especially trying to go from 2nd down to first. If you apply a tiny bit of upward pressure before shifting w/o the clutch pulled in it'll downshift fine. Haven't really determined the cause, it's more of an annoyance than a problem for me. Oil level is fine. I'm not nice to my clutch.. at all, but it's not a clutch problem. I might take a look at the spring deal that Cali Rider mentioned above seems like a likely culprit.