problem

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
The other day while trying to change my front sprocket to a 15 tooth. The dimples in the flange on the nut that holds the front sprocket on. I had them bent back up and went to turn the nut off the threads for the nut stayed on the shaft and it messed up the treads on the shaft I had a 1/2 in ratchet on it and it didnt take much pressure to take it off for about 7 or 8 turns then it stuck but all the threads are messed up a little. The yamaha shop said that it might be covered under warranty. I am a mechanic at a factory i deal with nuts and bolts all the time I turned it the right way. Anybody else ever had this happen? any ideas why? The mc shop had it now but no word yet they are closed on mondays. I know I turned the nut right way to take it off.:(

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i had that happen with my axle on the old bike, The axle had enough torque on it that it twisted enough to make the nut jump a thread even though it was properly tightened, then taking it off destroyed the threads and the nut. a new axle is easy though.

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing you might try is to get a metric die for the size and thread pitch of the shaft and run the die up and down the shaft a few times to clean up the treads and you'll be good to go. You'll probably have to do the same for the nut using a tap. If you are mechanic you should have access to them at work, perhaps you can borrow them or do it on your lunch hour.;)

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
I would do it on my lunch hour but it is in the shop for this, and the nut is totally destroyed not threads left in it. They are right handed threads. The yamaha shop called today said it would be done in the morning. They left a message for me and no word on warranty or not. I would have done it myself but warranty I wanted them to do it if they messed it up any worse they could pay for it.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish I could help somehow but I have never ever heard of anything like this. ATM I can't even picture what you guys are talking about cause I have never seen it before.