Problem with shifting!!

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
It happened recently, when I shift from 1st to 2nd, it sometimes gone to N instead of 2 and I had rev the engine and the bike wasn't moving. I felt like an idiot on the street.

Until yesterday, another problem popped up and that was when I was going onto the highway, I was accelerating quite hard, and I shifted alright from 1-4th (as I remembered) but when I flick it up to 5th it felt like it have gone to N but then hold the clutch lever down and flick it again, it finally had gone up to 5th.

I have a ottimoto rear sets installed recently, could it be the connection rod not being set up properly or is there some problem with my gear box?

thank you!!

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Try adjusting your shift lever so it's just a tiny bit closer to your foot. I think that extra little bit helps get the shifting right. Experiment -- bring the tools with you and keep adjusting until you get it just right. It might take a few tries.

I hate those 1st to N instead of 2nd gear misses too :eek:.

I've learned to kick it up just a tiny bit harder from 1st to 2nd -- I think it helps but doesn't 100% solve the problem.

Dennis

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try adjusting your shift lever so it's just a tiny bit closer to your foot. I think that extra little bit helps get the shifting right. Experiment -- bring the tools with you and keep adjusting until you get it just right. It might take a few tries.

I hate those 1st to N instead of 2nd gear misses too :eek:.

I've learned to kick it up just a tiny bit harder from 1st to 2nd -- I think it helps but doesn't 100% solve the problem.

Dennis

That just about sums it up for you :thumbup:

Just pull her up a little harder & dont stress , there isnt a person on this forum who hasnt done it :D [ame=http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=dIsYWJka1hE]YouTube - FZ6 Moogerah Dam ride[/ame] Guilty as charged your honour :eek: :spank: :rof:

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
is the bike new? i had this problem during break in period, disapeared after 1000km
if not then try:
1) re-set up rearsets
2) adjust chain
3) change oil

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Try pre-loading the shifter before you clutch in. Also, make sure you let the shifter fully reset before making another gear change.
I have not had any of this happen to me once on this bike *shrug*, but I do always pre-load for up-shifts.

jazond

KneeDragger in training
Reaction score
Visit site
That just about sums it up for you :thumbup:

Just pull her up a little harder & dont stress , there isnt a person on this forum who hasnt done it :D YouTube - FZ6 Moogerah Dam ride Guilty as charged your honour :eek: :spank: :rof:

Got a giggle out of N revs on the video, done it many a times.

Then I started to wonder why you were hanging out on the wrong side of the road for so long, into oncoming traffic! :eek: And then I realized not everyone is driving in the US. :D

PcH

FZ6 n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
Just purchased my used 2005 FZ6 and I'm having the same problems (sticks in neutral between 1st and 2nd gears). I plan on doing an oil change soon.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
if you get a lot of false neutrals on a higher mileage bike you could have some worn components (shift fork, drum, weak spring, worn/sticky bearings, etc.) But, I would 100% first check the shift linkage and the clutch components. :thumbup: A sticky clutch can cause some crappy shifting too.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
From the service manual Troubleshooting section:

FAULTY GEAR SHIFTING
Shifting is difficult
Refer to “Clutch drags”.
EAS28540
SHIFT PEDAL DOES NOT MOVE
Shift shaft
• Improperly adjusted shift rod
• Bent shift shaft
Shift drum and shift forks
• Foreign object in a shift drum groove
• Seized shift fork
• Bent shift fork guide bar
Transmission
• Seized transmission gear
• Foreign object between transmission gears
• Improperly assembled transmission
EAS28550
JUMPS OUT OF GEAR
Shift shaft
• Incorrect shift pedal position
• Improperly returned stopper lever
Shift forks
• Worn shift fork
Shift drum
• Incorrect axial play
• Worn shift drum groove
Transmission
• Worn gear dog
EAS28560
FAULTY CLUTCH
Clutch slips
1. Clutch
• Improperly assembled clutch
• Improperly adjusted clutch cable
• Loose or fatigued clutch spring
• Worn friction plate
• Worn clutch plate
2. Engine oil
• Incorrect oil level
• Incorrect oil viscosity (low)
• Deteriorated oil
Clutch drags
1. Clutch
• Unevenly tensioned clutch springs
• Warped pressure plate
• Bent clutch plate
• Swollen friction plate
• Bent clutch push rod
• Damaged clutch boss
• Burnt primary driven gear bushing
• Match marks not aligned
2. Engine oil
• Incorrect oil level
• Incorrect oil viscosity (high)
• Deteriorated oil

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
if you get a lot of false neutrals on a higher mileage bike you could have some worn components (shift fork, drum, weak spring, worn/sticky bearings, etc.) But, I would 100% first check the shift linkage and the clutch components. :thumbup: A sticky clutch can cause some crappy shifting too.

that's was sort of what I first thought and the last thing I would want to happen.
I assume the shift drum and shift fork parts will cost me a lot to replace.

thank you very much.

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Sometimes when passing neutral (1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 1st) I get a horrible grinding sound and it's in neutral instead of the gear I intended. It's not that I didn't shift hard enough, it just doesn't go into the gear. I don't know enough about transmissions to explain it, but it's almost like it's "bouncing" off of the engine or something and instead of engaging it's just kicking back to neutral. I usually just pull in the clutch, wait a second, and nudge it again and it's good, but it's a pretty nasty sound and while it doesn't happen that often, it scares me when it does!

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Try to lube shifter pivot points and/or check shifter tension spring.
I remember that I do got same symptoms happened after rainly day riding.
And then, did quick lube (didn't have special lubricant, so did with engin oil) at the shifter pivots. >> disapeared symptom.
For just my experience here, yours may differ from it.

Probably engine oil with hot weather temperature, time to change oil ??
After long time riding, and rider has exhausted and failed to shift correctly >>> my best guess here.
It happens to me time to time and disappers without knowing it.. ha ha ha