power commander or not?

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
So I've got a 2005 FZ6 that's stock except for a Two Brother's slip-on exhaust. After putting the exhaust on I had a huge difference in all ranges to include a higher top speed (142 vs. 155). Is it worth it to get a power commander? Are the gains substantial enough for a noticeable difference?

Davop

Reaction score
Visit site
I was told by an experienced moto mechanic that the Poower Comander was not a good idea to use for an exhaust upgrade. That they cause stalling problems.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
With all due respect, your experienced moto mechanic is talking rubbish. A Power Commander will not "cause stalling problems" at all. What a Power Commander does is introduce a new MAP to the Engine Management System that basically richens up the mixture (at least in N. America) right across the rev range at all throttle openings to give a bit more power and smooth out the performance. My FZ6 has a bit more torque at lower rpm's, and definitely has more scoot at higher rpm's. No stalling problems at all. Fuel consumption increases marginally.
You won't regret installing a Power Commander.

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a power commander on the way. Im excited to get it! Should be here in about 2 or days and I paid $293 w/shipping. I will get back to you guys on how it goes. Thanks for the replies!:rockon:

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a power commander on the way. Im excited to get it! Should be here in about 2 or days and I paid $293 w/shipping. I will get back to you guys on how it goes. Thanks for the replies!:rockon:

Please do let us know if it fix's your little issues ;)
Where did you buy it from?

Davop

Reaction score
Visit site
With all due respect, your experienced moto mechanic is talking rubbish. A Power Commander will not "cause stalling problems" at all. What a Power Commander does is introduce a new MAP to the Engine Management System that basically richens up the mixture (at least in N. America) right across the rev range at all throttle openings to give a bit more power and smooth out the performance. My FZ6 has a bit more torque at lower rpm's, and definitely has more scoot at higher rpm's. No stalling problems at all. Fuel consumption increases marginally.
You won't regret installing a Power Commander.

I guess that mechanic with 8yrs experience doesn't have your knowledge.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess that mechanic with 8yrs experience doesn't have your knowledge.

I have to go with OneTrack on this one as a PC is there to help the problems such as idle and smoothness. Now i'm also sure that if used incorrectly the PC can create its fair share of issues, you have to make sure you have the correct map downloaded for the specific issue you have (such as specific aftermarket exhausts have their own maps)...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I've got a 2005 FZ6 that's stock except for a Two Brother's slip-on exhaust. After putting the exhaust on I had a huge difference in all ranges to include a higher top speed (142 vs. 155). Is it worth it to get a power commander? Are the gains substantial enough for a noticeable difference?

Are you noticing any popping on the downside after installing the pipes. After putting my Remus aftermarket slip ons, my bike is popping which means it's running lean. Not getting the right fuel mixture because my bike was originally tuned for the stock exhaust. That's what the powercommander is used for, to get your bike in sync with the new exhaust. If anything, I'm doing more harm than good running without one. Not sure why Davop's mechanic came with that conclusion.

Last edited:

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you noticing any popping on the downside after installing the pipes.

The only thing I've noticed is I will get a crackling when I decelerate in gear (which makes me smile cause it's sounds good), other than than I haven't had any popping

I ordered the PC from More Power Racing - More Power Racing (yes only one "R") and they just called saying it should be in this Friday so I should be able to tear into it this weekend.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
The only thing I've noticed is I will get a crackling when I decelerate in gear (which makes me smile cause it's sounds good), other than than I haven't had any popping

I ordered the PC from More Power Racing - More Power Racing (yes only one "R") and they just called saying it should be in this Friday so I should be able to tear into it this weekend.

Lol that popping while decel will happen even with your PC!! And it is cool so I wouldn't want to get rid of it anyway! :thumbup:

For the 100th time, YOU DON'T NEED A PC III IF YOU ARE JUST PUTTING ON CANS!!! I've had my Two Bros cans on since Feb and put over 2,500km on the bike WITHOUT a PCIII and the bike runs just fine. If it's a little lean, oh well. It's not that big a deal.

You don't need one. Save your $300 for other mods/parts!

Last edited:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to go with OneTrack on this one as a PC is there to help the problems such as idle and smoothness. Now i'm also sure that if used incorrectly the PC can create its fair share of issues, you have to make sure you have the correct map downloaded for the specific issue you have (such as specific aftermarket exhausts have their own maps)...

Absolutely! I could completely mess up the engine management system on my FZ6 by installing the incorrect MAP in my PCIII, or simply by messing up the PCIII period.
To say it "causes stalling" is nonsense....a PCIII only "causes" what you program into it.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol that popping while decel will happen even with your PC!! And it is cool so I wouldn't want to get rid of it anyway! :thumbup:

I love the snap, crackle and pop coming out of my Scorpions on decel....there's something "edgy" about it.

Boneman said:
For the 100th time, YOU DON'T NEED A PC III IF YOU ARE JUST PUTTING ON CANS!!! I've had my Two Bros cans on since Feb and put over 2,500km on the bike WITHOUT a PCIII and the bike runs just fine. If it's a little lean, oh well. It's not that big a deal.

That's correct (for the 101th time). You don't "need" a PCIII....your bike will run just fine without one. A PCIII will improve things here and there and possibly increase the performance (at the expense of fuel economy). In my case, I feel that my bike has more low end grunt and more 'rush' at high rpm. It idles smoother as well.
YMMV. (I must, however, not forget to put a DynoJet/Power Commander sticker on my bike prior to meeting Boneman at the summer FZ6 meet here. It will be a great conversation piece. :Flip::D )

Boneman said:
You don't need one. Save your $300 for other mods/parts!

Don't listen to Boneman...get a PCIII. You may not "need" one, but you know you WANT one. You can always find an excuse to blow another $300 on other mods/parts. :D

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL. . . I figured this would be a hot topic. Well like I said before, I already bought the thing so I guess I will have to scrounge another $300 for more toys/mods!
I think the next thing I will do is get a smaller sprocket for the rear and see how that turns out. I figure since I forget to shift cause it pulls so hard all the way to redline (and more if not limited) that the motor can handle it. I don't know about you guys but I believe the motor has way more "umf" and it's way too restricted to start with.
By the way, in case your guys were wondering, I have 11,500 miles on the bike. I have had it since 1000 miles and put on the Two Bros exhaust at around 6000 miles with ABSOLUTELY no problems. Just simple oil changes and maintenance. Ha ha...except for the fairing assembly that might have been replaced because it might have been dropped... or the possibly tweaked handle bars to match the dent thats not really there in the tank..... if ya catch my drift;)
Enough for now. I will post some pics of my bike as soon as I get some time off. I thank you all for your post's and I look forward to sharing my journey to the center of the tank!

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
So I was looking for PC maps and found nothing to match my TWO BROs exhaust. :wtf:After more research I found TWO BROs has a "juice box" for a little more cash for my bike and I have already bought a PC. Has anyone made a PC map or have any suggestions? Or do you have a new juice box and want to trade?

lasermax

Reaction score
Visit site
You can download a map from their site that lists ANY aftermarket cans, as long as the rest of the mods match. Slip-ons of any kind, but with stock air filter and air box is what you want, if thats all you have. I just installed MIVV carbon fiber pipes in Monica's 07, along with a K&N air filter, i opened up the airbox and gutted the cat pipe. (what a job THAT was! Use a ceramic or cement cutting drill bit!) I am using the PC3 with a map that calls for leo vince pipes, no cat, modified airbox, and it got me in the ballpark. I may add a lil fuel in the top end , but that's it.

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
IMHO, the PCIII is a good investment, it will smooth out performance and with the CORRECT program your bike will run great. When I ordered mine there was no Leo Vince program, and the bike ran SLOWER than stock!! Very sluggish, once I got the correct program in wow, unreal improvements. However, realistically you won't even feel the difference.