stock muffler chop

IanHoots

Reaction score
Visit site
After researching on here and checking out some exhaust videos on youtube I've decided to give the stock FZ6 muff an internal hair cut.

It seems that the stock muffler flows reasonably well, as power gains only seem to be measurable once the cat is removed (S1). Most opinions on here are that muffler only change doesn't gain much except a nice note. So stage 1 for me is to remove 1 of the 2 baffles in the stock muffler and stage 2 will be cat removal, power commander and possibly higher flow air filter.

Stage 1 only took about an hour including removal from the bike. I opened the bottom of the muffler and cut out the rear most baffle with a plasma cutter. The advantage of gaining access to the muffler through the bottom is I didn't have to remove the mounting bracket and most of the welding from patch replacement is hidden by the number plate mount, as depicted in the youtube video.

My inspiration came from this video: https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jiHLCefvso

I removed less than the video, as I wanted the gas to change direction twice before entering the tail pipes instead of 3 times in the stock muffler. This has given a bit of a raspy bark without the harsh noisy scream of drilling 20mm holes through the baffle. Drilling the baffle effectively removes both baffles, as it drills through the front most baffle and renders the rear most baffle ineffective. Not having anything to compare it to I'd guess its a bit quieter than my old ZR-7 with Arrow slip-on with the road use baffle in (it was damn loud and my neighbours hated it on cold mornings)

Once completed the muffler chop it also got a coolant flush and synthetic brake fluid. Just got to wait for the rain to stop so I can scrub in the Pirelli Angels.