powder coating questions

Dannyrose1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys hope the spring weathers been treating you well where you are!

So basically i have the black on black fz6
I really want to get the fazers wheels painted blue!
I have done a little research and see powder coating is
The best and most durable option
option and theres a place close by that does it

What kind of price region am i looking at per wheel?

For those that have seen blue fz8 wheels and on the fz1
And on the new mt09 and 07, you will already know its a sexy blue! So does anyone know the paint codes for the wheels i cant find it anywhere!

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
I can only speak from experiance wth having car wheels powdercoated but I had a set of four 18 inch wheels done for £200 from a very good place round my way. I would estimate about £40-45 a wheel to do yours

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The little bit of powder coating I've had done, they used paint chips to match up.

To my knowledge, its not the same as a computerized color matching. (I could be wrong). I do know, if the part is cooked too long, you WILL get a different tint using the same powder. I had this happen on lock brackets I had at the powder coater and the color was WAY OFF.

Also, they generally take the item down to bare metal/aluminum(sand blaster with some sort of media). You also need to cover up any place (ie, where a bearing may reside) or you'll get a build up of the powdercoat there and will later have to remomve it(a PIA).

IMO, I would take it down to bare aluminum, get the quart of "Color-rite" paint ( https://www.colorrite.com/ ). Order the EXACT COLOR you want. They have a drop down, for make model, year, part (engine, frame, body parts, etc).

Find a really good automotive painter and have a pro shoot them.. The
final outcome will be the original paint with the exact color.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The manufactures formula will indicate temperature and cure time at temp. It may vary by color too. I used a product from Prismatic 400°f for 15". You start the time after the item is at temp.

Be sure to add in the cost of new bearings and seals as you'll have to knock them out to PC them. Not necessary w/paint option.

Media blasting.....
Also keep in mind the spokes are hollow and can hold lots debris. Whether painting or PC, good luck getting it out. I mention this as it could be an added cost if the bidder doesn't realize how its designed.

My friend was quoted $350 on a different bike. Didnt include new parts.