POLL: Do you Cross the Double Yellow?

Do you Cross the Double Yellow?

• NEVER - I stay in my lane and wait for passing zones

Votes: 131 36.5%
  • YES - to pass ONLY (assuming it's clear/clean/no driveways etc.)

Votes: 171 47.6%
  • YES - to pass AND to hit the perfect apex WHEN CLEAR

Votes: 52 14.5%
  • YES - to pass AND to hit the perfect apex RECKLESSLY

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • YES - By accident when blowing turns

Votes: 25 7.0%
  • OTHER - please explain

Votes: 8 2.2%

• Total voters

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
I pass on double yellow lines everytime there is a car infront of me if i dont see any cops or side roads driveways potential dangers etc i just cant stand to see a cager infront of my bike just annoys me... im probably alone in this xD.
x2 cagers dont belong in front of bikes

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_7941.jpg

IMG_7943.jpg

IMG_7944.jpg

Result of passing on double yellow when a car came around the next corner rather quick. Jon had to make a quick move to make it back in his lane. Went into slide that resulted in high side. You can see the black mark of the slide. You can also see where the bike stopped. Witness said the bike tumbled multiple times as did Jon. Jon walked away with severe concussion and poison ivy on his neck. (landed in the ground cover) Jon was wearing a full suit... AGATT.

I used to pass on double yellow all the time. Its not worth it to me anymore. I came very close to loosing one of my best friends that day. Everytime I get stuck behind a slow car that wont move and I cant pass safely. I see these images in my head. I pull over.

Think about it.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Result of passing on double yellow when a car came around the next corner rather quick. Jon had to make a quick move to make it back in his lane. Went into slide that resulted in high side. You can see the black mark of the slide. You can also see where the bike stopped. Witness said the bike tumbled multiple times as did Jon. Jon walked away with severe concussion and poison ivy on his neck. (landed in the ground cover) Jon was wearing a full suit... AGATT.

I used to pass on double yellow all the time. Its not worth it to me anymore. I came very close to loosing one of my best friends that day. Everytime I get stuck behind a slow car that wont move and I cant pass safely. I see these images in my head. I pull over.

Think about it.

Looks like that was a sketchy place to pass. Gotta always assume some one will coming the other way and speeding.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted in the poll long ago but didn't have much time behind the bars. . . (Fizzer that is).

My cage style is to look FARRRRRRRR ahead for anything that could go wrong should the choice to pass come into play. My bike style varies little for the exception the PTWR (power to weight ratio) giving us a huge advantage and with that, I'll use it when its safe to do so. Out here there are some steep long hills w/out turn-outs or exceptions. So I'll pass in areas where there are not turns, entrances, or likely hood for something to change. The key variable left is the driver. Worst case is a dear makes them act and I'm collateral damage OR they hate bikes and intentionally choose to make the pass difficult. But overall I'll follow for a long ways and most out here are kind enough to pull over and I think they do so because I keep my distance but they know I'm there. So about 80% will pull over but I don't opposed making a safe clean pass over the dbl.

I do wish the fizzer had more torque as I hate to buzz them.

I think the worst deal I ever encountered was an HD riding 2 up. He was DORK in every aspect. A slug in the corners and flawg it when he saw my blinker come on in the straights keeping me in the mirror. Hindsight says I was in error as I took him w/out blinky while he twisted the cr@p out the HD. Needless to say i was over the SL a good bit when he was in my mirror. The fizzer did it effortlessly but 30mph over the SL was not my intention.

This has been good read to see everyone views on the topic before the season begins. . . :thumbup:

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i have been lucky, around here there is a few roads with twisties, and is a double yellow for miles, there are enough bikes that people usually will pull over for you to pass if there is room

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
The only way I'm passing on a double yellow is if I get waved around, or someone's driving full retard slow. I despise people that pass me on a double yellow, whether I'm riding or driving, especially since I'm pretty much always speeding to begin with. I give others the same courtesy... if you're doing the limit or over, I'll get over it if I can't go as fast as I like. At least until I find a dotted line. If you're doing 20mph under for miles without pulling over though, I'll make an exception.

And where's the option for "only to hit the perfect apex, and only when it's clear"?

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never done it and don't plan to. 98% of my riding time throughout the year is spent commuting. I'm not in such a hurry to get to work that I need to pass on a double yellow, and the ferry leaves the same time every day. Getting to the dock early does nothing.
If my friends and I are riding the twisties and stuck behind someone, we'll pull over and wait several minutes if they don't wave us by or pull off. It's safer and has no chance of pissing off the driver.

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
after having close call last season, watching riding buddy crash after passing van, I am taking it easy now. Never on twisties.
Today I went for first log ride of the season. Passed one car, but it was not quick enough:spank:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From the looks of the road from that crash, I'm not surprised the rider crashed. There is a time to pass on double yellows, that is not one of them. Poor decision on that rider.

Bikes can accelerate much quicker than cars or trucks, add to that the bikes don't require as much space to successfully complete a pass makes it possible to pass on double yellows safely in certain situations. But still does not make it legal.

GGSteelman

Reaction score
Visit site
This whole thing depends. If I'm on a back road and there's one measly car, then possibly, but most of the time I'll wait, and many times I don't because I know there's a long stoplight ahead.

So I guess as long as I think they won't have enough time to read my plate....

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
Mostly i dont. Only when its a straigt road or when the corner is far ahead and there are no drive way's. But thats rare :)

So most of the time i just wait :)

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
Only once in 5 years of biking. But double white lines are lesser used in the uk I think (correct me if I'm wrong) I always get overtaken by other bikers while sitting behind cars on the double whites but I can't really afford the points on my liscense !

fz6king

Reaction score
Visit site
In PA its not tecnically illegal unless its posted no passing, so I do it occasionally if it can be done safely. But the police can ticket if its not done safely or can get you for speeding if they have radar going.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
That guy is a twunt and deserves every broken bone he's got. Absolutely no sympathy from me.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk