POLL: Do you Cross the Double Yellow?

Do you Cross the Double Yellow?

• NEVER - I stay in my lane and wait for passing zones

Votes: 131 36.5%
  • YES - to pass ONLY (assuming it's clear/clean/no driveways etc.)

Votes: 171 47.6%
  • YES - to pass AND to hit the perfect apex WHEN CLEAR

Votes: 52 14.5%
  • YES - to pass AND to hit the perfect apex RECKLESSLY

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • YES - By accident when blowing turns

Votes: 25 7.0%
  • OTHER - please explain

Votes: 8 2.2%

• Total voters

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Straight forward question....just curious what others do.

Poll is PRIVATE.

My friend crosses the double-yellow to pass when safe/prudent but stays in his lane otherwise. He does this very often on back roads. Sometimes if he comes up on a chain of cars on a twisty road he'll carefully/slowly leap frog until he gets in front and is able to take off. He always gives a wave of respect if at all possible. He tries not to buzz anyone and makes a big effort not to force anything (always trying to keep the unknown unknown in mind).

But he's not perfect nor does he have 30+ years of riding experience, not even close.

You?

Techniques?

Strong opinions?

:thumbup:

Last edited:

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
There double white lines over here but yea, I do the same.

The way I see it the roads are marked out with the acceleration of a car in mind. We can accelerate so much faster to complete an overtake so a section of road with double line may be dangerous for cars but ok for bikes. I know the law is the law but if your safe about it then that's the important thing to me.

PS: where is the poll?

Last edited:

Pimpson

Reaction score
Visit site

+1
All the time for me. (when safe, of course.) I'll give cars a chance to pull over, but if they've ignored a safe pull out spot, then I'll pass as soon as it's safe. I'll never pass on a double yellow if it's double because of side streets. If it's double yellow because of curves, or sight lines then I'll do it.

Last edited:

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
There are plenty of roads where you can very safely pass on a double yellow. As long as I know the road and I know there are no hidden driveways and/or streets and I have good visibility ahead I wouldn't think twice to cross a double yellow to pass a slow(er) moving vehicle.

In a car it's a different story - I almost never pass other vehicles unless a have a second lane for that purpose.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I never do. I guess I'm lame :(

I'll keep you company on this Erci......

Nothing lame about that at all. It's a personal choice based on many things.

But I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

In a car it's a different story - I almost never pass other vehicles unless a have a second lane for that purpose.

Agreed - but this discussion is about motorcycles.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I certainly do especially in my home city since I can get away with it...:D
I do it occasionally outside once I make sure the po-po isn't watching.

There is no way in heck I'm going to wait behind a slow poke. Yes I am impatient.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't do it in the city - but if I'm out riding some state roads I'll pass slower vehicles when I feel it is safe to do so.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I generally don't, unless it's slowly-moving farm machinery or trash trucks or a horse-drawn buggy ahead, or something equally extreme, where the lines didn't take the situation into account.

On an unfamiliar road or a situation more typical, I view the information from those lines as valuable "predictive" input to my brain regarding the road ahead, not a nuisance. They're not road-graffiti - someone followed procedure and analyzed road conditions and determined on those criteria if it was safe to pass.

Who am I to determine that I know more about upcoming conditions in a split-second than the person who thoughtfully determined whether or not it's safe to pass here?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
On an unfamiliar road or a situation more typical, I view the information from those lines as valuable "predictive" input to my brain regarding the road ahead, not a nuisance. They're not road-graffiti - someone followed procedure and analyzed road conditions and determined on those criteria if it was safe to pass.

Who am I to determine that I know more about upcoming conditions in a split-second than the person who thoughtfully determined whether or not it's safe to pass here?

Thanks for the comments.

The roads are painted for all traffic, right? I'm thinking the passing zones would be different if everyone drove an 18-wheeler or if everyone drove a go cart or motorcycle. Surely just about everyone would say they exceed 65 mph on the highway even though that is the posted limit.

Take note and give the lines strong consideration, but if you can go, why not go? What's inherently wrong with making your own decision?

Now getting sloppy or erring on the side of GOING can really cause problems and you might if start putting others at risk.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There double white lines over here but yea, I do the same.

The way I see it the roads are marked out with the acceleration of a car in mind. We can accelerate so much faster to complete an overtake so a section of road with double line may be dangerous for cars but ok for bikes. I know the law is the law but if your safe about it then that's the important thing to me.

That's also the thought I've had about passing on a double yellow. The bikes close those passes very quickly compared to a car. The laws should change in that regard but won't for another hundred years when they can decide on what new design to paint to allow bikes to pass. But if they gave the problem to a bunch of chimps with sticks and termite mounds, it would be figured out in 1 or 2 years. :Flip: :spank: Just sayin....:rolleyes:

I got a ticket last year for crossing the yellow. CHP LEOs hide behind bushes on route 79 coming out of Julian, Ca. where many MCs pass cars on a long stretch of straight road where you would not think it would be double yellow.
I passed some pretty slow movers and CHP jumped out of the bushes and flagged me.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
2 months ago, I would have said NEVER.

After doing the trip on my bike - South Australia, Victoria then tasmania, I'd have to say I did cross solid white lines (in Aus) BUT only due to the twisty roads and traffic. I NEVER overtook any vehicles unless it was safe to do so and I had clear vision of what was ahead.

There were too many twisties there to get stuck behind a caravan or logging truck....

Never thought I'd be the rider to do it, but I did.

Like I said, I didn't take any risks doing it. Other riders I saw did. I'm not one of those.

Just my 2c worth :)

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
If I am on a good road wanting to have a little bit of fun, I don't mind doing it as long as I have enough visibility ahead of me to ensure a safe pass. However, it seems the vehicles I am overtaking are going the speed limit, and I am wanting to exceed the limit.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
2 months ago, I would have said NEVER.

After doing the trip on my bike - South Australia, Victoria then tasmania, I'd have to say I did cross solid white lines (in Aus) BUT only due to the twisty roads and traffic. I NEVER overtook any vehicles unless it was safe to do so and I had clear vision of what was ahead.

There were too many twisties there to get stuck behind a caravan or logging truck....

Never thought I'd be the rider to do it, but I did.

Like I said, I didn't take any risks doing it. Other riders I saw did. I'm not one of those.

Just my 2c worth :)

I'm really glad you posted this.

It's useful to go through life knowing that our own personal cost/risk-beneift analysis may change suddenly or unexpectedly.

Also, NOT crossing the line for some might mean following one car for one small part of the day at 55 down a straight road instead of 65 while for others it might be the difference between being mostly bored in the twisties for 250 miles (and being tailgated) during the course of a 10 hour day vs. having a blast in the twisties for 350 miles over the course of a ten hour day.