Photography Thread !!!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
best "mod" i ever did, fit my tankbag to carry my gear
IMG_1582.jpg

always ready to snap some pictures when driving. ;)

What sort of Sigma lens is that ?? Any sample pics to share ?? :D

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Took me awhile to look thru these, some fantastic shots here!

Here's mine, I concentrate on Nature stuff:
Botchphoto

(in Dropbox, you can click on one pic, and then hit "Slideshow" at the upper-left corner)

Last edited:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Really Humperdinkel?
All the photographers I have talked to have warned against transporting any kind of camera gear in bags connected to the bike due to vibrations which can be extremely damaging, most recommended a backpack as your body works as a buffer.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really Humperdinkel?
All the photographers I have talked to have warned against transporting any kind of camera gear in bags connected to the bike due to vibrations which can be extremely damaging, most recommended a backpack as your body works as a buffer.

Thats not my setup mate , I keep mine in a Lowepro backpack because I have heard the same thing :thumbup: I'd also paranoid that the tank bag would fly off with me camera in it :eek:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the first few shots of nothing really exciting , just wanted to show you anyway ;) cant wait till the weekend when I can really have a play with it & shoot some more interesting targets :rockon: The tow truck photo was shot handheld in near darkness this evening :eek: I LOVE VC :D

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
What sort of Sigma lens is that ?? Any sample pics to share ?? :D

Sigma 18-50 2.8 usually use that one because it's nice for landscapes and stuff.
Also have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 which i LOVE for closeups but i hardly take that one along on my bike because it's too huge :)

I'm leaving on a little trip this weekend, should stop at some nice locations so i'll upload a pic or two after that :p

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had this 24-105mm/f4 for quite some time and at 105mm, it makes a nice macro lens, and it has been a really nice lens for the majority of my pics.

ef24_105_4lisu_c_186x279.gif

I was looking for something wide for indoor shooting or wide landscaping and this lens, a 16-35mm/f2.8 surpirsed me after I got it. It has been a toss up now which lens to use for close subject shooting and it's been on my camera 50% of the time.

ef16_35mmf28liiusm_186x279.gif

I mentioned to a buddy of mine about getting a longer zoom lens than the 70-300mm I already have, and he has this telephoto 400mm/f5.6 he will let me try with a 1.4x extender. I'm kind of excited to see what quality I will get out of this one. I'll post some examples when this happens.

ef400_56lu_c2_186x279.gif

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Next on my shopping list is a Tamron SP AF 90mm Macro :drool: :D Fingers cross i'll have it in about a month :thumbup:

tamron_sp_af_90mm_f28_di_macro_1.jpg
I've owned the Nikkor 105 Macro for years, and its my favorite lens. You'll like that focal length! :rockon:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats not my setup mate , I keep mine in a Lowepro backpack because I have heard the same thing :thumbup: I'd also paranoid that the tank bag would fly off with me camera in it :eek:

Ohhh ok I totally missed that, kinda obvious when i look again :p
I use a Lowepro backpack too, my last one lasted for like 8 years, so I thought a new one which holds a laptop for travelling was the best idea.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to double post, but I've been looking for a macro lens too, and I've heard amazing things about the Canon 100mm Macro EF USM (2.8).
Its about 500 + shipping from an international seller at best though....
That Tamron lens though is 329$ (aud) + shipping which seems pretty good as well!

This is all from DWI though, so its shipped to Oz. Really good prices but your not buying it in shop.

Anyone with any experience of either of these lenses?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Reply to BD43's question about Sigma lenses. I have a 70-200 f2.8, a 120-300 f2.8 and a 50-500 "Bigma". Have shot many tens of thousands of photos with the 70-200 and it is a great lens always works, fast & sharp. The 120-300 have had for a few months and it is also fast and sharp maybe a little less sharp than my 300 f2.8 Nikon but a great lens. The 50-500 is a good lens and is sharp considering what it is - don't push it too hard and it will take some great shots but is not as sharp as the f2.8 stuff. I usually take it on vacation as it is not too big and is versitle. It's sharper than the consumer grade 55-300's. The 120-300 is a great track lens but mine doesn't work that well with a teleconverter so it is only a 300. For longer stuff I use the Nikon 300 2.8 with a 1.4 teleconverter. Canon L series lenses are great but $$$$ just like Nikon pro quality lenses.

A good place to find good stuff reasonably priced is KEH (Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras) which sells used lenses. They are conservative on the ratings and I have bought several lenses from them. The Nikon and Canon f2.8 stuff is expensive but does hold it value much better than camera bodies. Don't know about Canon but the Nikon pro and prosumer cameras like the D3, D200, D300 etc have autofocus motors in the body and can drive almost any Nikon autofocus lens. Think the D80 and D90 do but am not sure. The D3000, D3100, D5000, etc do not have the built in motor and therefore cannot drive the autofocus on the olde lenses. The lenses will work but are manual focus.

I'll try and post up some photos in the next few days.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info!
I've noticed I can get alot of the Canon lenses for cheaper from places that source grey imports (new) than second hand stuff, which is pretty amazing!!!

I actually ended up ordering the Canon 100mm Macro this morning, when I realised how much I could save getting it from DWI. I'll post how good the service/shipping etc is when it arrives before I suggest using them. They are insanely cheap compared to places within Australia.
I bought my body from an Australian dealer for a bit more to ensure I had a reliable warranty, but listening to alot of photography forums/threads alot of people seem to get lenses from overseas to save money.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The 50-500 is a good lens and is sharp considering what it is - don't push it too hard and it will take some great shots but is not as sharp as the f2.8 stuff

Now I'm intrigued over the Bigma. According to the Sigma website, it's new, which I am assuming because it now has OS and sports a 95mm filter thread. That's huge with a bigger price! :eek:

738_50-500mm_f45-63_DG_OS_HSM.png

My local photoshop shows it has one in stock. I may need to take a trip down to see them and take a few sample shots off my camera.

Thanks.;)

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. There are some really nice shots in this thread. Here are some of my favorites. I shoot on a Nikon D90. I use a 18-105 autofocus and a whole arsenal of 1974-1996-ish Nikkor lenses that I borrow from a friend that is a pro photographer.

Sparkybean

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to have an awesome Canon DSLR and took a few great shots. I still take many photos everyday but unfortunately on a one of the worlds worst cameras, my iPhone. So I amuse myself with some off the effects apps.

I take pictures of everything some serious and some fun. Here is a few if anyone's interested. These are mostly silly but added a couple of serious ones.

View attachment 37357

View attachment 37358

View attachment 37359

View attachment 37360

View attachment 37361

View attachment 37362

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ohhh ok I totally missed that, kinda obvious when i look again :p
I use a Lowepro backpack too, my last one lasted for like 8 years, so I thought a new one which holds a laptop for travelling was the best idea.

Yeah thats what I have aswell :thumbup: They do last heaps longer than other brands & have ample room for all your gear , this is the one I have :rockon:

890240747984.jpg

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I'm intrigued over the Bigma. According to the Sigma website, it's new, which I am assuming because it now has OS and sports a 95mm filter thread. That's huge with a bigger price! :eek:

738_50-500mm_f45-63_DG_OS_HSM.png

My local photoshop shows it has one in stock. I may need to take a trip down to see them and take a few sample shots off my camera.

Thanks.;)

I've read a lot of bad reviews about the sharpness of the Bigma mate :( People are getting far better results with a shorter focal length & a decent tele converter for the same price :thumbup:

FOr BIG telephoto the Sigma 80-400 seems to be a much better choice :thumbup:

sigma80-400is.jpg