Pants vs. overpants for first-time FZ6 winter rider

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Do all brands of pants (maybe not all pants, but brands?) have the built-in zipper in the back that can attach your pants to the back of your jacket or is that a BiLT thing?

Tourmaster has them in all jackets and pants that I've seen. They have a zipper sewn in and then a strip that can be zippered off. From what I can tell, you zipper off the strip and, if you have a matching pair of pants with the same set, you zipper the sewn part of the jacket into the sewn part of the pants.

The two remaining zippered strips could be sewn, on your own, into jackets and/or pants that don't have the feature.

At the rate I'm going in this thread, I may have to call a GA ride on a nice day soon. Would love to put some miles on my bike. :thumbup:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is the Dianese mesh or leather? I prefer mesh or textile over leather. And, yeah, the Dianese would NOT fit my fat ass, LOL!

The one I use is textile. The company makes quite a lot of different styles, though.

I have the mesh 3 layer jacket -- mesh + rain liner (which worked OK the other week) + warm liner (which i've never used). I talked to a vendor tonight and learned that the Tourmaster Venture Air is the same setup AND an overpant.

If the Toumaster V Air comes with all the liners and is an overpant, I don't see how you could go wrong. just make sure it's got some good protection!

Go by the Varsity and have a couple dogs, rings and an FO (that's Frosted Orange if the moderators are watching).

Having frequented the Varsity for lunch while working downtown, I'll just say that this is not conducive to maintaining clean riding pants.

But for real though, all that food is about 60% grease by weight! My stomach tries to dodge it as it comes in.

Do all brands of pants (maybe not all pants, but brands?) have the built-in zipper in the back that can attach your pants to the back of your jacket or is that a BiLT thing? (If they aren't compatible with other brands, I will need to go with BiLT pants to zip into my jacket). Jacket does come with a 'pre-zip' that I could sew into other pants but.. I'd likely take my finger off with the needle..

Dainese pants come with the zipper but you have to buy and attach a zipper to the jacket shell if you want that. However the thermal liner on my jacket does have a zipper on the bottom that will attach to the pants. Just make sure the whole set up is long enough.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Jinx -- I did this, except in reverse. I tried the Transition Series 3 first and it was too hot to start off riding in Spring 2013. I sent it back and got the Intake Air 3 and have loved it, other than the bulk I mentioned before.

I understand, I have the Dainese Air Frame Jacket for the summer, It's lighter than the Air Intake 3.0. But with the European fit, you may not like it. The Transition Series 3 is definitely a winter jacket IMO

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Aerostich Racecrafter (Light) - 'nuff said. Year 'round. No need for a rain suit. You may never buy another piece of gear! And, you never let the weather dictate when you ride. I have a heated jacket to go underneath when the merc' drops. Very toasty!

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Aerostich Racecrafter (Light) - 'nuff said. Year 'round. No need for a rain suit. You may never buy another piece of gear! And, you never let the weather dictate when you ride. I have a heated jacket to go underneath when the merc' drops. Very toasty!

I wonder how it stacks up with Motoports Air Mesh Kevlar, that's what I have.

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
I commute rain or shine in So Cal. i have done this for 20 of my 31 years riding. was not impressed with tour master products, but fieldshear is what i use and i would buy them again.