Gear advice for a new rider

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Got to Cycle Gear late so I didn't have much time to shop. Got A* SMX-2 carbon fiber gloves for now. Because they feel amazing. And carbon fiber is faster.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Inlight of a jacket. I ended up returning the Joe Rocket Reactor 2.0 jacket. A solid mesh jacket with elbow and shoulder protection. I just wasn't sold because it wasn't what I ordered. I am glad I returned it. I ended up going with a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0. This jacket rocks. It's a 4 season jacket. Mesh, with a removable inner fleece vest. But the best part of the jacket is the removable outer jacket. The outer jacket is actually waterproof and serves as the windbreaker and rain jacket. Instead of actually wearing a inner plastic rain liner like many multi purpose jackets, I have seen. Not that I plan on riding in the rain. But it is nice to know I have it. Another major plus about this jacket Is refective piping. Although it doesnt have the biggest reflective piping. It has alot of it which helps when riding at night.

gotta check that one out

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
So far I just got the A* SMX2 gloves. Love em. At $70, I hope they last a couple seasons, but they feel great, and are perfect for the warm. Couple of cold mornings last week sucked after a 30 mile commute.

Revzilla is close to me and they have a retail front where they do their Internet business. Emailed for info on half boots-super fast response, and the guy actually tried on a couple pairs to give me a better impression.

NorCal, that jacket does sound awesome. Will check out.

D

Dave.TX

I went to a Cycle Gear superstore in San Diego, CA, last December and just tried stuff on. With the Bell helmets only the Vortex fit my goofy head right so that's what I bought. The other Bell's didn't, they were more for round heads than oval.

You get what you pay for. Check motorcycleclosouts.com or motorcyclegear.com as they have good deals on last years models in helmets and everything else. Find what fits then shop around to see where to get it for cheap. Cyclegear gives a 10% discount to military, fire and police.

The stuff can get expensive...

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Got a silver metallic RF1100. It's wonderful.

Also picked up a pair of Dainese dyno half boots. DownrangeFuture said it right. Riding boots are amazing! I thought at first it would be a downgrade from sneakers because of the lack of "feel." I was so wrong. They just make the ride so much more enjoyable with an added bonus of increased safety. I am now one with the bike in terms of shifting.

hundchenkatze

Reaction score
Visit site
Best part is they have the zippers to connect eachother incase of rain to prevent water flowing into the grand canyon back there :thumbup:

I was under the impression that the zippers were to hold the pants and jacket together if you crashed. For example, if you're sliding the jacket won't slide up and expose your skin.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
Kudos for your effort to gear up. I see way to many "squiddies" riding around Tucson in tank tops and flip-flops. Fools. I'll continue to sweat through the summer knowing that I'll save my skin in the event of a crash.

I found a good deal on a Joe Rocket mesh jacket on eBay. Paid $50 for it, in what I would consider fair condition. I thought it was a good deal for a starter jacket. I plan to buy a full leather jacket in the fall for cooler temps.

Spend the $$$ on your helmet. I went the extra mile and got an Shoei RF1100. I cannot express how happy I am with this decision. I can ride all day and not get hotspots...

I've found that Cyclegear is a good low-cost resource for quality stuff. I like their Sedici line. All of it is guaranteed for life, and Cyclegear stands behind this without question.

Just a few extra points if you haven't already pulled the trigger on your gear...