Painted headers

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Rustoleum high heat paint. Put on a coat and bake in the oven, repeat 3 times. I'm sure they will get road rash but they look way better in my opinion.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard that even high temp paint is not enough for headers. They reach nearly 1,000 degrees F. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Have you ridden the bike yet?

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard that even high temp paint is not enough for headers. They reach nearly 1,000 degrees F. It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Have you ridden the bike yet?

I do a fair amount of reso work on bikes and such here and there.. The only paint I'll use is Rustoleum high heat! The stuff i have shows a BBQ Grill on the can. Its the only paint that holds up to bugs and road crud, and will put up with a good scrubbing!

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
VHT FlameProofâ„¢ Coating

Wonder how this would hold up... I've got a few cans of it, but I've never put it to the test. I've tried high-temp BBQ paint on a charcoal grill before, and it didn't hold up worth crap.

On another note, aren't the headers double wall? As in, the surface you see isn't actually in contact with exhaust gases?

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Hay, can you post more photos from the side?:confused: It looks very nice from what I can see.:thumbup:

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
it looks good, let us know how it holds up, i want to do mine but i did the cylinders and head on my banshee with hi temp engine paint and it peeled right off, and i did the header on my blaster and same thing. get it nice and hot a few times and let us know then.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the look of black headers with our bikes, even on the slower blue version! :BLAA:

Just messing with ya. I opted to have mine high temp powder coated. Looks new after one season of riding. Cost was about $100.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
mine have been painted black for about 15k miles now.....there is some rash needing touching up on the #2&3 pipes but the paint has held up against up the heat very well!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
VHT FlameProofâ„¢ Coating

Wonder how this would hold up... I've got a few cans of it, but I've never put it to the test. I've tried high-temp BBQ paint on a charcoal grill before, and it didn't hold up worth crap.

On another note, aren't the headers double wall? As in, the surface you see isn't actually in contact with exhaust gases?

I believe the header is single walled and will get the full heat, especially close to the head, of combustion..

The black looks good, certainly much easier to maintain, but as noted above, how well will it hold up over time...

IMO, I think the stock finish, cleaned up, look best. They do require regular cleaning, especially if riding in the rain often, etc..

Mines a daily driver but not mandatory for everyday, crappy weather riding.

Last edited:

mrbigjeep

Reaction score
Visit site
Man, that black does look sharp especially in the last pic

How did you get them looking like that again ?? ^^^
I wish mine looked that way, makes a huge difference

Last edited:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had good luck with painted headers. Hope it works better for you!

Let us know how they look after a couple months of riding, please.

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the header is single walled and will get the full heat, especially close to the head, of combustion..

The black looks good, certainly much easier to maintain, but as noted above, how well will it hold up over time...

IMO, I think the stock finish, cleaned up, look best. They do require regular cleaning, especially if riding in the rain often, etc..

Mines a daily driver but not mandatory for everyday, crappy weather riding.

I had a go at mine at the weekend...cleaned up the best i could with fine wool, and a couple of different chrome cleaners.... but was left with a marring still inprinted, mainly on the middle pipes...can this be removed, or is that inset permanantly?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike looks nice - I see your forks are slid up a good distance, you like the turn int there? Any stability issues? Lots of BLACK HERE! :thumbup:
47042d1363051633-painted-headers-image.jpg

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems to handle better, I can feel the bike a little better with them up. Take with a grain of salt because I went with the naked look at the same time so I changed the whole front end at one time. It did take me a couple minutes to get used to the turning, it just felt different at first but again, it could be because I took everything off the bike.
The bike looks better with the seat cowl on and rear pegs removed but that's just my opinion.
There is always room for more BLACK! :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a go at mine at the weekend...cleaned up the best i could with fine wool, and a couple of different chrome cleaners.... but was left with a marring still inprinted, mainly on the middle pipes...can this be removed, or is that inset permanantly?

I just kept rubbing/ polishing until clean.

When I got the bike with 4,500 miles on it, the bike might have been washed once, never waxed, etc so my header looked like a typical header. Just Mothers metal cleaner and ALOT of elbow grease.