Painted headers

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
How did you prep the pipes before spraying, just wet n dry?

I scrubbed em down with a scrub sponge and some cleaner. I didn't want to scratch them up so I just made sure they were clean. Painted, baked, painted, baked, painted and baked again.

falcon6123

Reaction score
Visit site
Lemme know how it holds up. I got mine Ceramic Coated last year and its going strong still but if yours holds up, then thats what Im gonna do on my next bike.

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Lemme know how it holds up. I got mine Ceramic Coated last year and its going strong still but if yours holds up, then thats what Im gonna do on my next bike.

I'll keep up in this thread as to how things look after a bit. The weather should be allowing more riding soon! :BLAA:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks sweet! Let us know if it holds up, the headers on my Versys are all discolored and i'm sick of looking at them, this looks like a good solution!

Also would prolly end up doing it to the muffler part of my Vance and Hines CS One, great pipe but whatever paint they manufacture it with sucks, light coat of rust after 1 summer :(

Keep us informed! Looks great and you've inspired me to at least clean my headers until we know how well this works :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the header is single walled and will get the full heat, especially close to the head, of combustion..

The black looks good, certainly much easier to maintain, but as noted above, how well will it hold up over time...

IMO, I think the stock finish, cleaned up, look best. They do require regular cleaning, especially if riding in the rain often, etc..

Mines a daily driver but not mandatory for everyday, crappy weather riding.
Mine looked like yours once, daily driving in the rain has ruined them,

neil

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
My downpipes are nasty after this winter of riding. I have never actually put any serious amount of time into cleaning them. Which is funny because I'm pretty nitpicky when it comes to keeping my bike clean and waxed. The most I'll do is wipe them down with some WD-40. I see no point in polishing them when they would just get dirty again in a few hours of riding.

I have considered ceramic coating or powder coating.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiosity, did you use the 1200F rated spray or the 2000F rated spray? I'm tempted to try this before I know if it works or not :D

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the header is single walled and will get the full heat, especially close to the head, of combustion..

The black looks good, certainly much easier to maintain, but as noted above, how well will it hold up over time...

IMO, I think the stock finish, cleaned up, look best. They do require regular cleaning, especially if riding in the rain often, etc..

Mines a daily driver but not mandatory for everyday, crappy weather riding.

Well, I've got a 7.3L Powerstroke with VHT-painted manifolds sitting at work, if it ever rejoins its truck I'll let you know how well it holds up to heat. Can't get a whole lot hotter than pre-turbo on a diesel. :D

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
4 months later and the headers are holding up perfectly. Just thought you'd like to know incase you are thinking of a project.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
4 months later and the headers are holding up perfectly. Just thought you'd like to know incase you are thinking of a project.

Update this thread please, it's been 2+ yrs since you painted your headers..!
Some pics please (day 1 and today's please, if possible)

Thanks in advance.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

Hello, please post some pics and how did they hold up?
I'm taking inspiration from F-Impact and going all black soon.