Paint problem

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,

Currently I'm having a problem with the paint on my tank, where my legs sit along side the paint has worn that much that in the right light you can see the primer coming through, now I realise that this may be down to "Wear and tear" but a 3 month old bike it shouldn't!

I'm going to take it to Yamaha I bought it from and see what they say. Anyone else experianced similar?

Matt.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I'm sure there are some, but I haven't heard of it being within 3 months. Should be under warranty and they'll probably have to give you a new tank with better paintjob.

if, by chance, it's not covered, you can get those stomp grips for the sides of the tank. Stylish and helps keep you on the bike more anyways.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Tech Spec Tank Grips!

DSCF4669.jpg

Boneman's FZ6 Site - TechSpec Tank Grips

Yeah the paint should not wear that fast (if ever) unless you are wearing slacks made out of sandpaper! Is this a brand new bike or 'new to you' bike (used)? Wondering if the tank got repainted and they cheaped out on the clear coating or used sub standard painting process. No way it sould wear down that fast. Take it back!

Last edited:

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Brand new mate, picked it up in march and yeh I have some Stomp grips on order but I can't put them on over knackered paint :(

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you aware that on the fuel tank, special clear coat(s) resistant to gasoline, etc., is used? But, from the way it sounds, I don't think the shop used ANY clear coats. Spraying must not be something that the shop knows much about (or else, they do and it's just a lousy, lousy, don't-care-about-it type of attitude prevalent. That's just amazing that there, obviously, was no clear coating applied. How about where you insert the gas nozzle---is there discoloring there? Boneman is right, TAKE IT BACK!

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
No discolouring around the fuel cap at all no. It's just wear my inner leg has been against the tank. I've phoned them and they said bring it in and we will submit a claim to Yamaha, so I'll let you know when I hear back next week.

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Right I've been to Yamaha and they said don't hold your breath about Yamaha accepting the claim.. Apparently it was me over reacting and it is just the laquer getting scratched to bits from my leathers, it's 3 months hold and has covered 2500 miles but to me even that distance it shouldn't be doing what it bloody is.

They have said they will get their valeter on it to buff it all out and then I need to put protection on, the point is though the laquer is far too soft but no way of proving that so I'm going to have to make do with the buffing and get my stomp grips on for the future!

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you aware that on the fuel tank, special clear coat(s) resistant to gasoline, etc., is used? But, from the way it sounds, I don't think the shop used ANY clear coats. Spraying must not be something that the shop knows much about (or else, they do and it's just a lousy, lousy, don't-care-about-it type of attitude prevalent. That's just amazing that there, obviously, was no clear coating applied. How about where you insert the gas nozzle---is there discoloring there? Boneman is right, TAKE IT BACK!

No clearcoating? this sounds beyond hypocritical as spraying must not be something that YOU know much about.

If the shop never clear-coated it, it would be a dull color. no shine. thats what clearcoat does, adds shine. Not to mention no basecoat provides any UVA or UVB protection and the base would fall off within 12 hours of sunlight. ALL OF IT. leaving a black epoxy coated tank.
It sucks that it happened but I can guarantee 90% of the people on here dont fully understand how the refinishing proccess happens and adhesion is gained.

Either polish it up and put a 3M paint protection film over it (this clear tape style stuff covers lots of imperfections) or simply take the tank off, prep it (msg me if you need help pretty easy just to get it covered) and have a reupatable shop re-paint the tank.

small piece requiring no more than .1L of base and .25 of clear ($70 of material using absolute top of the line sikkens or glasurit) should be cheap

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Are your leathers dirty? It sounds like maybe they're covered in grit or dist and that is acting like sandpaper when you ride.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll post this here, because it's another related PAINT PROBLEM.

Kawasaki launched a ZX-14 in a SPECIAL EDITION paint scheme that looks like this:

ZX-14 2008 SPECIAL EDITION
092507_zx14r_top.jpg

Whatever you do, DON'T buy a bike with a matte finish. My brother is having a HELL of a time polishing that stuff out and he works on CORVETTES and SRT4's!!

I'll say it again, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy a motorcycle with a matte finish. It has NO clear coat and it's a BITCH to work with.

He's thinking of selling the bike, specifically for this reason.

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the offer of help geetarhero, I'll get back to you on it if I need it :)

Fred: No my leathers are clean, I clean them like 2-3 times a week and treat them every so often.

It's going to get polished up by the valeter that does all of Yamaha's and Honda's work and then stomp grips are going on it to protect it but it's not the point really by no means should it be happening.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll post this here, because it's another related PAINT PROBLEM.

Kawasaki launched a ZX-14 in a SPECIAL EDITION paint scheme that looks like this:

ZX-14 2008 SPECIAL EDITION
092507_zx14r_top.jpg

Whatever you do, DON'T buy a bike with a matte finish. My brother is having a HELL of a time polishing that stuff out and he works on CORVETTES and SRT4's!!

I'll say it again, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy a motorcycle with a matte finish. It has NO clear coat and it's a BITCH to work with.

He's thinking of selling the bike, specifically for this reason.

it DOES HAVE CLEARCOAT. I rest my case regarding the lack of knowledge and lies being spread about refinishing.
if it didnt have clearcoat, the paint would fall off and you would have factory Ecoat. nothing else. There are matting agents along with elastifier additives you can add into the clearcoat at special ratios to give a matte or semigloss appearance.

you cannot have paint without clearcoat unless its spraybomb or powdercoated. clearcoat is the protection for color and mettalics, without it you could wipe it off with your finger, water would easily seep behind it and rust the entire bike out