operating temp?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 07 stays at approx 175-180 in high 80's to the low 90's in south Florida during the summer. It does go up some in traffic, maybe 200 in heavy stop and go traffic.... (This is with fresh anti-freeze, Prestone pre-mixed 50/50)

Note: I did change out the antifreeze on all my bikes with prestone 50/50 not long ago. I can say with the FJR, it took longer for the temp bars to come up while sitting in traffic with the orginal anti-freeze. With the new anti-freeze the temp bars came down quicker as well once under way..

I didn't have the FZ long enough to notice any changes with the temp in regards to new anti-freeze as I was changing out/servicing everthing as maintainance had been somewhat neglected..

I can safely say some fresh anti-freeze wouldn't hurt, especially if its over due.... Its easy and cheap to do yourself...

Scott

Last edited:

tubarao

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi
I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Here is too hot in this spring, with outside temps about 30-35 Celsius
I have Fz6 S2 2007, and I go to work every day with my bike. Once a month i go to road with my friends (my wife hates this)
In the week , in city traffic, my coolant temp vary between 95C-101C , and the fan is on-off-on many times on my way.
In the road, or large avenues, the temp slow down to 85-90C.
I think the FZ6 behavior is like a SS. She needs to ride in high speed (above 90Km/h) to maintain low coolant temp.

[]s

bergj1986

Helmet Hair
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a coolant change/flush yesterday on my FZ6. I'm pretty sure it's never been changed from the previous owner. The coolant I pulled out was almost black and really crappy looking. I flushed the cooling system out with fresh water about 5 times before I was able to see clear water coming from the pipes. I re-filled it with Prestone 50/50 coolant and took the bike for a ride. Now it takes a bit longer for the bike to warm up and I can't seem to get the engine temp bars to go above two, even when beating on the bike.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does exactly as you say your's does. It DOES heat up quickly in the summer while idling or just before I shut it off. I wouldn't worry about it ironman. (Just enjoy!)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that you are right my friend. I noticed right off that the faster I go the cooler mine runs.

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the digital temperature readout is a good feature, especially in a hot country like Australia. i watch mine in summer like a Hawk. Have also noticed occassionally that small pebbles sometimes foul the radiator fan (see other post on this) and check it regularly for clearance.
I think there is more temperature variation than a car because the engine is exposed and not locked under a bonnet, which may allow for more heat disipation on a motorcycle. Consequently, they run cold in the mountains in winter, I can verify this.
Cheers

Airhead

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Does the 2005 FZ6 have the capability to show coolant temp on the gauge cluster? If so, how is it accessed?

The 05 is not capable of showing coolant temperature(other than the bars). It uses basically the same setup as the 04 and I know that the 04 only shows intake temperature.

I'm not sure what all the fuss about coolant temperature is. According to the manual it says anything from under 103 to 242 degrees Fahrenheit is OK.

4227896498_6d48611f0f.jpg

edit: guess the 04 really is the poor brother.

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the 2005 FZ6 have the capability to show coolant temp on the gauge cluster? If so, how is it accessed?

There may be a way to display the coolant temp and more on an 05 or 06 bike.
It looks like you just have to put the dash display to "Diagnostic Mode"
Switch the meter display from the regular mode to the diagnostic mode. To switch the display, refer to
“DIAGNOSTIC MODE”.

Description of action
Item
Coolant temperature
Description of action
* Displays the coolant temperature.
* Check the temperature of the coolant.

To switch the bike to Diagnostic Mode, see page 7-7 in the service manual.
The quote above is from page 7-11.

I don't think the bike has to be off to do this (even though the instructions on page 7-7 tell you it does). Either way, you wouldn't want to ride around in Diagnostic Mode. But if you feel you are having problems with the coolant temp, you may be able to pull off to a gas station and do this procedure.
Disclaimer: I have never tried this, I was just reading the service manual :BLAA:

Last edited:

bergj1986

Helmet Hair
Reaction score
Visit site
I've just come to accept that the temp bars on the gauge cluster will stay at 2-3 no matter what. Knowing the coolant temp would be nice, but nice necessary. I wonder if there's a way to "unlock" this feature in diagnostic mode so it can be used during normal operation.