Oil Recommendations

kq6up

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking through the manual. I see that super slick (read as synthetic) oil is not a good idea in the FZ6 as the clutch is wet plate and super slick oil will cause the clutch to slip.

In that case I was thinking of just using 20-50 Castrol GTX.

Chris KQ6UP

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh no you didn't...

Perhaps you're new. You might want to just do a search using your subject line. Oil threads can be hazardous.

Who knows, this could get interesting...
:popcorn:

jazzpaintball

Reaction score
Visit site
umm yea..... you may also want to read in your OM that you have a wet clutch set-up. This means that your engine oil is also your clutch oil. You need to get SPECIAL oil for wet clutches. NOT the oil from walmart for cars. Best suggestion would be to go to a dealership/bike shop and get your oil from there. brand wise, it is all about the same. Whether it is conventional, semi-syn, or full synthetic, MAKE SURE it is for a 4 stroke wet clutch system.

IMO though i would just go with the conventional yamalube. Its about 4.50 a quart, and is the exact same stuff the yamaha dealerships use in their oil changes. Besides, going full synthetic is useless unless you have a very high performance engine, for you have to do an oil change every 2000-2500 miles anyway, no if's, and's, or but's about it

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
I use vegetable oil when riding alone. When riding 2-up with a lady friend I switch to scented massage oil :thumbup:

In all fairness to kq6up, when using the search for "oil", to include all posts (not just threads)... I got zero results. All the oil threads I've read were found via manaully browsing the threads. Possibly the reason for folks still posting about the forbidden topic.

kq6up- Here's a useful site All About Motor Oil

D

Deleted member 2349

Most importantly....

only Use 2.94 Quarts...the extra .06 will blow up the clutch basket...

JOKES, yeah we got em...And we got a search FUNction too.

S

Shamus McFeeley

If you're still choosing, consider AMSoil.

Also, this will dispell a lot of the oil myths for you:
Oil info

There is much to be learned about oil, don't take anyones word for granted.

edit: saw someone posted the link earlier, my mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shamus McFeeley

umm yea..... you may also want to read in your OM that you have a wet clutch set-up. This means that your engine oil is also your clutch oil. You need to get SPECIAL oil for wet clutches. NOT the oil from walmart for cars. Best suggestion would be to go to a dealership/bike shop and get your oil from there. brand wise, it is all about the same. Whether it is conventional, semi-syn, or full synthetic, MAKE SURE it is for a 4 stroke wet clutch system.

IMO though i would just go with the conventional yamalube. Its about 4.50 a quart, and is the exact same stuff the yamaha dealerships use in their oil changes. Besides, going full synthetic is useless unless you have a very high performance engine, for you have to do an oil change every 2000-2500 miles anyway, no if's, and's, or but's about it

I hope you're joking here?

If so :rolleyes:

ozmodius

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen oil discussions ruin forums.... it can be a bad thing.

On the other hand, I can't, in good conscience turn down anyone looking for good information.

Basicly, synthetics are a good thing, even during break in. If you have a wet clutch make sure the API stamp on the back of the bottle of oil does not say "Energy Conserving" if it does not have this ... it wont hurt your clutch.

with that said, here are a few links to articles that I suggest you read.

Here is an article about oil research done by a CalSci Professor.. I tend to trust this one.

here is another good article.

so .. do some research and make an informed choice on who and what you want to believe after seeing the data.

kq6up

Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes in forums with thousands and thousands of posts searching for a relevant thread is useless (as was the search when I used various key words) when the key words come up over and over again in irrelevant threads.

That is why I posted the "dumb" question.

To those that were supportive. Thanks for the links, I was suspecting that good car oil is just as good as good motorcycle oil, and God knows I don't want to pay $5/Qt.

Thanks, KQ6UP

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was suspecting that good car oil is just as good as good motorcycle oil, and God knows I don't want to pay $5/Qt.

Thanks, KQ6UP

I would shy away from dedicated automotive oils. It is hard finding auto oils that are not energy conserving (friction modifiers are bad for the wet clutch). A diesel oil is a better alternative, and designed for high stress use. Not wanting to start a oil war thread, most here use Mobil 1 15-50, Rotella T 15w-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40, or the Mobil 1 Racing 4t 10w-40. There are a few Amsoil users here too. Run what lets you sleep at night.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Got to say something here:

I started this season with a 5w-40 oil (Statoil). This turned out to be too thin, as the engine made a whole lot more noice than before and the gear changes wasn't as smooth as before. So, I switched to Castrol motorcycle oil 10w-40. It made a heap of difference, and it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be.

This is also compliant with the manual (which I hadn't read prior to my first oil purchase:rolleyes:)